Omega Seamaster 300 Vintage (Watchco NOS) has arrived. Photos and Initial Impressions
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Omega Seamaster 300 Vintage (Watchco NOS) has arrived. Photos and Initial Impressions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Omega Seamaster 300 Vintage (Watchco NOS) has arrived. Photos and Initial Impressions

I've just received my Watchco Seamaster 300, and it arrived quickly by EMS (shipped on Wednesday, arrived on Saturday) without customs duties, and the watch head and bracelet were separately wrapped securely in bubble wrap, and placed in a box filled with packing peanuts and bubble wrap. The watch started up easily the moment I picked it up, and I proceeded to remove the bracelet from the sealed original Omega packaging, and attached it to the watch head. Under the loupe, the watch was in as new condition, with the exception of the plexiglass crystal which had a few small scratches under magnification, but nothing that a few days of careful wear wouldn't have imparted to the crystal.

In terms of the assembly, the bezel was properly aligned, and the Omega logo on the plexiglass was also properly aligned. The bezel is bidirectional, and it has a very precise feel, with very little play. The screwdown crown operated easily, and the movement appears to be in good, serviced condition as promised, indicated by the approximately -2/+2 spd deviation (depending on position), with a 300 degree (280 when crown right) amplitude, and 0.1 - 0.2 ms beat error on the Timegrapher when fully wound. The Omega 552 calibre beats at 19800 bph (5.5 bps) and has 24 jewels. It was not chronometer certified when it was sold by Omega.

Now for some impressions based on wearing the watch. The case profile is surprisingly compact, and it sits very close to my wrist, which is a pleasant change from most modern dive watches. The lume is exceptional, and is comparable or even better than on my Tudor Black Bay. The numerals on the bezel are lumed (but not the minute markers). The mesh bracelet is very comfortable and thankfully fits without the need for an extension (which is not included). The clasp takes a bit getting used to, especially when putting it on. The shine of the fine mesh bracelet makes it feel dressy to me, and I might put it on a NATO strap for regular wear instead. I will report back once I've had the chance to wear the watch for a bit.

Now for some photos of the watch:

Side by side with my vintage inspired watches, the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military (copy of the Rolex Milsub 5517), Helson Skindiver (copy of the vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms), and my Tudor Black Bay.

The requisite wrist shot on my 6.75" wrist.

This is a photo of the lume.

Photos of the movement (supplied by Watchco)

Last edited by mleok; August 30th, 2015 at 18:39.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Re: Omega Seamaster 300 Vintage (Watchco NOS) has arrived. Photos and Initial Impressions

Fantastic timepiece, awesome purchase, the pics are self-explanatory: it is a beauty. Congratulations, Mleok!
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Re: Omega Seamaster 300 Vintage (Watchco NOS) has arrived. Photos and Initial Impressions

Man I'm really having sellers remorse for this baby. Such a beautiful piece.
    Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Emtee likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A great looking bunch mleok, the Tudor really pulls my eye in, probably because the red bezel color. Wonderful assortment you get to choose from daily, congrats again on a very nice Omega score!!!
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Simply fantastic. Thanks for review! Now I really can't wait to get my hands on one!!

It looks gorgeous. I have often thought about getting one but one thing that makes me leery about Watchco brand NOS is that Omega apparently considers them to be fakes and will confiscate them if you bring them to an Omega Service Center. Technically, they're frankenwatches since they come from different Omega parts, but still..... something to consider.
    Gilby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanjecterly View Post
    It looks gorgeous. I have often thought about getting one but one thing that makes me leery about Watchco brand NOS is that Omega apparently considers them to be fakes and will confiscate them if you bring them to an Omega Service Center. Technically, they're frankenwatches since they come from different Omega parts, but still..... something to consider.
    I don't think there has been a credible report of Omega actually confiscating a Watchco, although I could imagine how they might choose to refuse service on one. In particular, I don't see how they would have a legal basis for seizing a watch made completely of authentic Omega parts. In practice, you can still send it to an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account to service it.
    Emtee and Tanjecterly like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Great looking watch and collection. Well done.

Sent from my [redacted] using Tapatalk
    ...sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there....

It came! What a classic.
    Congrats buddy. Looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I don't think there has been a credible report of Omega actually confiscating a Watchco, although I could imagine how they might choose to refuse service on one. In particular, I don't see how they would have a legal basis for seizing a watch made completely of authentic Omega parts. In practice, you can still send it to an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account to service it.
    I'm pretty sure, if you need to, Archer would have no problem servicing it. So nothing to worry about on that front.
    Tanjecterly likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information