Omega Seamaster Professional Quartz or?
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Omega Seamaster Professional Quartz or?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wink Omega Seamaster Professional Quartz or?

Hello Everyone!

Long time forum reader but first time poster here!

I'm 22 years old and I'm planning to get an Omega Seamaster Professional 2221.80.00 quartz version as a university graduation gift from my parents .

Name:  c5uZkDGl1453HpwEQB32eY97paSXGZZw.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  42.5 KB

I'm a little scared though because it's going to be my first luxury watch and before I purchase it I want to be absolutely sure that I won't find a watch afterwards that I would have liked more. That's why I need your help to recommend me alternatives to the above SMP based on the criteria below:

A) Budget is strictly up to $2000.
    B) I'm not planning to get a preowned watch (for those ready to suggest a used PO or a Speedy)
    C) There is no option to do extra saving myself and buy the <enter random high end $3000 watch name here>

I've also considered the Aquaracer 500m quartz version and I would like your opinion if it would be a better choice too. Keep in mind that I'm not bothered about the movements. An automatic is surely the better choice but my priorities are the looks, prestige, heritage and the strong brand name. Although I'm a sailing enthusiast I'm not commited to diving watches only, pilot suggestions are also welcome. I would like to thank you in advance for your suggestions .
    GTR83 likes this.

Banned

Re: Omega Seamaster Professional Quartz or?

Given the criteria, that is exactly the watch I would choose.
    Actually, where are you? That can't be had for $2000 can it?
    Last edited by Lee Jones Jnr; January 6th, 2013 at 03:02.

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

If the movement isn't important to you and you wan't your watch to be recognised then the SMP is really your best option. Don't bother with the Aquaracer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Jones Jnr View Post
    Given the criteria, that is exactly the watch I would choose.
    Actually, where are you? That can't be had for $2000 can it?
    I live in Greece . The price I got from my local Omega boutique here in Athens was 1500 euros which is pretty much $2000.

I say save throw some of your own cash on top and get an Automatic Omega. My first Omega was a aqua terra quartz and I liked the watch a lot but realized I wanted an automatic, about a year after I sold and bought an Automatic 8500 Omega Hour Vision....... the quartz just didn't satisfy me.

It depends on what you want out of watches. If you want a watch people will recognize the name on, and you don't plan on becoming WIS or hanging out on WUS for hundreds of hours this may be just want you need. You get a nice looking watch that many people think is great, and you get on with life. If you plan on collecting watches, becoming WIS, or hanging out here for a long time, you may regret you went for a quartz down the line (of course maybe you won't as well). If it were me, I would go for something nice, recognized, but automatic. The Longines Legend Diver would a beautiful choice in your price range. If you wanted to go for something more sturdy or sporty, go for a Sinn U1.
    jt67 and eliz like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Omega Seamaster Professional Quartz or?

It's a lot of money for a quartz even if an Omega ( I know, I have an AT quartz). The longines LD suggestion is a very good alternative.

The Longines is indeed a very elegant watch. But it lacks the wow factor for me and although it would fit very nicely with my clothing style I find its dial a bit old fashioned. The Sinn looks ok but its hands makes me go lol. Maybe I'll go watch hunting today and see the Longines in person. Thank you all for your help. I really wish I could save some more and buy the SMP auto but I'm getting it as early as next month so I'm out of time. I'll make sure I'll provide you some good photos of whichever one I get.

I think it's an excellent choice. With your list of criteria, this is the first (possibly only) watch I would think of. You can do research on the whole SMP quartz vs auto debate, but the bottom line is that it is a finely constructed timepiece
    with one of the most comfortable bracelets in the business and has classic good looks that will sustain it for years to come. Another thing to consider is that if you are building a collection, there is something to be said for having a quartz
    "grab 'n go" piece.
    Bwana1 likes this.

I'd jump on the Omega. A quality watch at a lower price because of the quartz which will never need an expensive service, is more accurate and more durable. I'd skip the Aquaracer as they have had so many crown problems. Head over to the Tag forum and search on stripped crown.
    Bwana1 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information