Omega SMP 2254.50 VS. Seiko MM300
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Omega SMP 2254.50 VS. Seiko MM300

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Omega SMP 2254.50 VS. Seiko MM300

Firstly, I know. "Buy what YOU want". I want both. That's the problem. I can't afford both, at least right now. I'll will clearly end up getting the one I ultimately want. But I'm looking to hear from people who own both, have owned one or the other, etc. Or just anyone who wants to chime in.

I've googled this exact thread title. I get results. But it's usually clearly biased one way or another, depending on where your reading. I'd like non-biased responses, hence posting in the public forum. Not the Omega or Seiko sub-sections. And it seems that Seiko and Omega are two of WUS's favorite brands. And if I was asked what's my favorite brand, I'd say Seiko. Number two is Omega.

I have MANY Seiko's. Mostly divers. SKX007 and 009, OM, Tuna and Sumo. The MM300 has been a major attainable grail of mine for awhile. I had the money to buy one, but I went with a Speedy Pro instead (wearing it now actually). The Speedy Pro was on my mind for a few weeks and I couldn't get it out of my head until I just broke down and bought one. But it had no competition. This time around I was looking at the 2254.50 and then it hit me, if I'm spending that much, I could have the MM300 I've always wanted.

Let's weigh the pro's and cons (as far as I'm concerned)

Seiko pro's:
    -It's unique and rare in the wild
    -8L35 movement is "essentially" a Grand Seiko movement
    -Case design is really cool and unique
    -Classic diver deign and very bold

Con's:
    -It's a $1500+ Seiko
    -It's thick and may smack doorjams and snag on sleeves
    -Case design requires special servicing

Omega Pro's:
    -It's thinner than the Seiko so it's not as chunky and will slide under sleeves and jackets easier
    -Dial design is not the typical circle circle dash like many divers are. And the little waves are cool :)
    -Brand perception over Seiko
    -Service will be much easier

Con's:
    -Difficult to find a good one under $2k
    -MUCH more common than the MM300

My main thoughts are, the MM300 is much more rare and interesting, and the SMP is common, and boring in comparison. But the Omega is an Omega. And the Seiko has the "Just a Seiko" feeling. Being a huge fan of Seiko's, I know this feeling should not matter. I'm buying the watch for myself. I know what the watch is and what it represents. But having never spent this much money on a Seiko, I start to think, why when I can buy an Omega for only a few more hundred dollars? The designs, looks and dimensions of the watches are dramatically different. One being thin and sleek, the other being thick and bold.

Either way, I'm looking to likely sell my least worn Seiko diver, my SKX009, and maybe my Citizen Nighthawk as I really like it, but rarely wear it. Not so much to raise the money, but to make room.

Are these watches comparable? Again, I realize they're drastically different. As far as quality, I'd likely rate them on par with each other. Uniqueness, the Seiko wins, but the Omega has a more unique look in terms of divers. Wearing the MM300, I will feel excited about it's rareness, how special of a Seiko it is, BUT.... it's not an Omega. Wearing the SMP, I'll likely feel excited mainly that it's an Omega, with a less then typical dial design, BUT it's not special like the Seiko.

And what's a thread without pictures?

(Pictures sourced from the Googles. If you are the one who has taken either of these pictures, thank you)

If I could afford a 42mm PO, I'd probably just go that route. But I'd still have the MM300 lingering in my thoughts....
    Last edited by EvoRich; August 27th, 2014 at 01:33.
    npulaski likes this.

Re: Omega SMP 2254.50 VS. Seiko MM300

Regarding the Seiko brand, I would advise you not to make your decision based on other's ignorance. If recognition is that important to you, then get the Omega, heck get the quartz version that can easily be found for less than $1.5K.

The MM300 is a far better watch in this comparison, and actually would more than hold its own against the better 9500 PO.
    Last edited by DarthVedder; August 27th, 2014 at 01:44.
    moyski, gmendoza and snakeeyes like this.

If you really want a 42mm PO, be patient. You're already 75-80% there anyway.

For me, I prefer the SMP to the MM, and maybe PO as well. The 1120 is imo the best movement to be found in a modern Omega, though having owned an 8500 AT I have to say the 8500 is a special movement as well (one which the co-ax was designed around from the ground up).

Reliability, relative ease of service and it's much thinner profile are my main reasons in preferring the SMP. I also prefer the aesthetic, but the MM is no slouch in any area. Just think the ease of use and ownership is in favor of the Omega for my wear habits.
    bam49 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVedder View Post

The MM300 is a far better watch in this comparison, and actually would more than hold its own against the better 9500 PO.
    Regarding the Seiko brand, I would advise you not to make your decision based on other's ignorance

At least can you name the calibers right?
    watch_hor and Kluber like this.

Regarding the Seiko brand, I would advise you not to make your decision based on other's ignorance. If recognition is that important to you, then get the Omega, heck get the quartz version that can easily be found for less than $1.5K. The MM300 is a far better watch in this comparison, and actually would more than hold its own against the better 9500 PO.
    Just curious: what are some of the reasons behind your assertion that the MM is a far better watch?

I would choose the SMP in this case due to my small wrist size. However, with some roids and weights if I could pull either of these off I'd pick the MM easily. If you can handle the size/thickness then go for it!
    edhchoe likes this.

The MM300 is not a far better watch at all, please don't spread falsity. Both watches are very comparable and both have advantages and some disadvantages.

1. The biggest disadvantage the Seiko has is it is a hockey puck. Omega wins here

2. Movement wise, they both perform the given task adequately. Even.

3. The bezel of the SMP is harder to turn in wet conditions because it does not have a good gripping surface. Not to important unless you do dive and even then not that crucial. MM300 wins here

4. Dressability. The omega being slimmer will fit this, the MM300 won't. SMP wins

5. Feel on the wrist. The SMP is near perfect on the wrist. The MM300 is heavier and will feel bulky unless you have a larger wrist 7.5" or more. SMP wins

6. Name, regardless of how you look at it, Omega is more exclusive than plain Seiko. If this was a GS then they would be equal, but the name does make a difference. SMP wins

7. MM300 is what you always wanted, MM300 wins. Get the MM300 because it is what you want. Regardless of how much nicer the other watch is, you have been wanting the MM, so in my opinion that is what you should get.

Quote Originally Posted by AAMC View Post
    Regarding the Seiko brand, I would advise you not to make your decision based on other's ignorance

At least can you name the calibers right?
    Yes, the Omega has a modified top grade ETA 2892, re branded for marketing purposes.

The Seiko has an 8L35 movement, which is basically an undecorated version of the Grand Seiko 9S35.

Why is it better? The 8L35 comes from a family of higher grade movements, has a higher Power reserve and, just like the GSs, is highly accurate even if it can't carry the "chronometer" badge.

Yes, the Omega has a modified top grade ETA 2892, re branded for marketing purposes.

The Seiko has an 8L35 movement, which is basically an undecorated version of the Grand Seiko 9S35.

Why is it better? The 8L35 comes from a family of higher grade movements, has a higher Power reserve and, just like the GSs, is highly accurate even if it can't carry the "chronometer" badge.
    WRONG!!! It is a base raw movement with much worse accuracy than the GS 9S35, can't even be compared to the GS. This is like comparing a base eta 2824 with a top grade 2892. Not even close. It doesn't carry a chronometer badge becasue it isn't chronometer grade, period.
    Kluber likes this.

(...)far better (...) would more than hold its own against the better 9500 PO.
    Let's try again!

Far better ?hum? In what?

Holds against the "9500" PO?hum? How? What is a 9500 PO?

Quite frankly your first sentence on a thread that you were the first to reply just turned me off....and not because there was an Omega involved.... Basically you said that ignorant members would address on this topic! Not good...
    Kluber likes this.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information