Omega Speedmaster
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Omega Speedmaster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Speedmaster

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1973 speedmaster from a reputable dealer.

I am seeking an educated opinion of value for the watch. I am assuming it is in good quality and was recently overhauled by Omega.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Omega Speedmaster

Check the sale forum, check Watchrecon, check eBay, and maybe some of the used dealers around. Forum policy strongly discourages offering valuations.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by JC320 View Post

I am seeking an educated opinion of value for the watch. I am assuming it is in good quality and was recently overhauled by Omega.
    That's a big assumption. Confirm if it was overhauled or not before buying. As stated, check other sources for price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    Check the sale forum, check Watchrecon, check eBay, and maybe some of the used dealers around. Forum policy strongly discourages offering valuations.
    I wouldn't use the term "strongly discourage" AT ALL:

16. Valuations. Watchuseek does not offer valuations, nor do we recommend trying to have your watch valued online. Assessing the value of a watch is dependent on many factors, most of which require qualified persons having access to the watch directly. While members may provide their opinions as to the value of a watch, these are purely their opinions and do not represent WUS.

https://www.watchuseek.com/forum-rules-and-guidelines/

Welcome to the forums!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by JC320 View Post

Well you need to be more specific in terms of good quality and what your really asking. If your asking if the watch is of good quality, the person who is selling it to you can tell you if it has been serviced and in good working order. All movements from the speedmaster collection work well and will last you a lifetime. However, if your asking if its a good quality movement in terms of a rare caliber, it is not. You need to look for at least the 321 caliber pre-moon caliber. This is the caliber that was in space.

Secondly, if your looking at a vintage, it is technically pointless cause the caliber has been improved. It's argumentative but I'd go for a newer model that has nice upgrades and improvements to the materials used in the speed master caliber.

So if your looking for something time relative and historical, this particular watch should something you can pass on. If your looking for a good deal on a speedmaster, regardless of its caliber then that is up to you. But what ever the price, paying more for an updated caliber is well worth it.

Thanks to all replies. What I gather is the Speedmaster historical pieces are of vintage pre moon models. Thereafter copies, still nice but a newer model would be just as historic. The price of the one offered is 2900$ I have not seen it in person but it is on hold if I choose to purchase, although time is limited. I think I will pass due to the near cost of a new model or pre moon model. If someone thinks this is a "steal" then please let me know. I'm new to the Speedmaster but have enjoyed my brief research on the watch. I simply want one "interesting " nice watch. And the moon watch interests me, rolex etc does not.

This is just my opinion, but if a Speedy is not a 321 I wouldn't pay any more than I would for a 1980s or 1990s or 2000s one in the same condition.

Just one Speedy owner's opinion though -- the market dictates what they're worth. You can get a minty late model one for $2,400-$2,500 so that price seems high to me.
    John60169 likes this.

That seems a lot for that watch in that condition, to me. Not that far from there to a new one.

I would expect a watch serviced by Omega to look better than that. Whether we're talking about the bezel, lugs or bracelet fitment...I would expect Omega would have done it better. Granted there's the possibility that whoever had it serviced specifically asked Omega not to meddle with the cosmetics. That watch has taken a beating and I'd pass.

Cheers,
    NM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information