Omega Speedmaster or B&M Classima Executive

Thread: Omega Speedmaster or B&M Classima Executive

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Omega Speedmaster or B&M Classima Executive

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and came upon it while I was searching some quality information about watches. I feel like this is the right place to ask this question .

I wanted to get a nice watch for a little while now, and I am about to make the move. I always wanted an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I owned a knock off (boo) when I was a student and today I have saved enough to buy the real thing. However, while looking at options within the same price range, I also saw a Baume & Mercier Classima Executive 8692, which I really like (probably one of the most elegant watches out there). Now, I know these are very different watches obviously, and wanted to tap your opinions.

Is the Omega that much of a step up over the B&M? Are they equivalent in terms of quality, lifetime value, etc?

Thanks!

H
    Last edited by HakimG; March 22nd, 2010 at 17:47.

Re: Omega Speedmaster or B&M Classima Executive

i have tried on both of these watches. they are both beautiful. i would go with cosmetics. whichever appeals to you more. if you dress up more for work, then get the baume. the omega can be dressy but more casual.

can't lose with either, but there will probably be more votes for Omega here because that is a more popular brand. go with your first choice.

v76

Among those two choices, I'd definitely take the Speedmaster Pro every time (handwind cal. 1861 ... cal. 321 would be even better, but that's tougher to get). For me, it's the history of the watch and the proven quality of the caliber that's important.

I'm also more of a movement person, so I'd take an FP 1185 or even better, a cal. 400 El Primero equipped watch anyday. The new Breitling B01, the new Longines column wheel chrono or the Ebel Le Modulor/Type 137 would be good choices too.

However, you should go with what you feel you'll be happy with/can live with. And, if you feel that you'd be happy with the Baume et Mercier, you should go in for that.
    Last edited by v76; March 22nd, 2010 at 17:37.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    For me, it's the history of the watch and the proven quality of the caliber that's important.
    Speedie~It fits the tool watch category, casual, and dress too....Remember the bond Omega? Cheers!

I like both watches. Looks are higher priority to me than the movement. Both are high quality watches that will last a lifetime. The Omega has such a cool history behind it, with a story unequalled by any other watch. The Omega is a bit more sporty looking, although suitable for any occasion IMO. The Baume & Mercier is more dressy, but again wouldn't look out of place in most situations. Most models of the Omega have a plastic crystal, probably more prone to scratching than the sapphire crystal on the B&M.

As I said, I like both watches. I own a Baume & Mercier Classima Executive 8735 and plan to get a Speedmaster in the future. Don't be too hasty to decide. Bu if it is truly a toss up I would go back to your first choice and get the Speedy. If you wanted it for a very long time, it might always be calling you, even if you get the B&M and love it. Wait. Go back and look again in 2 weeks and then again in a month. Your desire will settle down and you'll know better after waiting a while.

Baume & Mercier

the omega is the icon, but i'd get the b&m.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

v76

If you like the Baume & Mercier chrono, you should perhaps check out the new Stowa chronograph (information in the pdf attachment). I think it's a cleaner design than the B&M.

Also check out Schauer Kulisse chronographs (Edition 14, this is from a WUS link) -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by v76; March 22nd, 2010 at 20:03.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

I love the B&M Classima Executive line but I prefer the non-chrono open heart. I am not a huge fan of open hearts but somehow the B&M looks beautiful to me. Check it out here:
    http://www.baume-et-mercier.com/watc...xecutives/8689

I've held it in person and it's far more impressive in person (though no slouch in pics either).

Speedy is a classic but a little more common perhaps.

NM

I say get the Speedy Pro. The design will probably grow on you even more over time, whilst you'll likely get gradually disenchanted with the B&M as the years go on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information