Omega Speedmaster vs. Breitling Avenger vs?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Omega Speedmaster vs. Breitling Avenger vs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega Speedmaster vs. Breitling Avenger vs?

Hi all, I should have the opportunity to buy my first higher end watch soon, so I'm considering a few options. These two look pretty attractive to me at the moment, but they both have some big drawbacks for me. I'd like to draw on the experiences of the members here to see how the two models compare, or if there are other options out there that would be better. At the moment, I see the breakdown like this:

Speedmaster Advantages:
    -Good looking, decorated movement with display back
    -Movement is not generic and is slow wearing
    -Coaxial escapement
    -Push button clasp

Speedmaster Disadvantages:
    -No date
    -Movement could become difficult or cost prohibitive to repair in the future, like previous Speedmasters
    -No hacking
    -Slow beat movement doesn't sweep as nicely
    -Not a chronometer despite high cost
    -Seems like a low jewel count for a chrono

Avenger Advantages
    -Chronometer
    -Better water resistance
    -Date

Avenger Disadvantages
    -No display back
    -Same movement as my Victorinox
    -Doesn't come in the matte titanium anymore?

I'm particularly interested to see how the movements compare in the opinions of members here. Looking at the Speedmaster movement, I don't see how it's better than the 7750. Perhaps I'm missing something? I'm also curious to see how the bracelets compare in how much they rattle and how comfortable they are. I'm open to other suggestions, but I am at the upper limit of my budget with these. The Zeniths and column wheel Speedmasters look amazing, but unless there's a way to get them cheaper than the prices I see for them, I don't think I can go that high. I would be interested in other options with in house movements or special features like extended power reserves or column wheel pushers. I'm also not dead set on a chrono (If I end up having to get something cheaper, I'll probably get a Citizen Chronomaster). Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Tsujigiri; June 30th, 2013 at 11:23.

Re: Omega Speedmaster vs. Breitling Avenger vs?

Which speedy are you looking at?

Most likely the sapphire sandwich. It would be a shame to have a that nice looking of a movement unobstructed by a rotor and cover it with a steel back, IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ah - the pro. The single most recommended watch on this board is probably going to trump the Breitling!

I can only comment in my 7750-powered TAG: firstly the running small sub seconds will appear smooth even in a 14k watch at that size. So it's only when the chronograph is running that it matters. The chrono second hand in my TAG is jerky as hell compared to my other 28k movements - 2824 and 2836. Someone said it was because it's tentioned under a spring that it jumps. I assume that the Breitling would do the same - maybe someone can confirm.

Have you looked at the Longines? They are doing some beautiful watches and the quality is tops.

Firstly, if its the speedy pro its not coaxial.

Im not going to say get one or the other as they are quite different looking chronos.

Other options are:

Tag carrera 1887 (in house ish movement)

Zenith el primero pilot big date- love this and if you can find one online within budget it would be top of the list for me

[QUOTE=geoffbot; The chrono second hand in my TAG is jerky as hell compared to my other 28k movements - 2824 and 2836. Someone said it was because it's tentioned under a spring that it jumps. I assume that the Breitling would do the same - maybe someone can confirm.[/QUOTE]

The chrono hand on my Superavenger seems relatively smooth on activation. It does have that snappy reset like all 7750's if that's what you mean by jerky.

I'm biased because I bought my Breitling (pretty much the same watch as the Avenger) over the Omega so I will be one of the few who recommends it. If you like the Speedy more, the Sapphire Sandwich or the 9300 are the way to go IMO. Best of luck with your purchase

Hammondo likes this.

Any watch in the same price range will lose to the Speedy Pro on WUS.

Apperance is personal, though the Breitling "King of Bling" look turns some off and the more tool like Speedy look is generally favored by those who dislike the former.
    But you like the fact that the Breitling has the same movement as your Victorinox. Pretty generic that. Do you want an in-house mvmnt or not?

Difficult to repair? Omega offers repair for more older watches than any other manufacturer I've seen talked about here. Cost prohibitive? Maybe, but any chrono is going to cost youmore than a non-chrono. Still, I guess it's one of those situations where if you are worried about the cost up front you might be better off not buying it. You are wise to consider that - but the Breitling will cost you too, but a little less.
    Low jewel count? Well, jewels are there to prolong service intervals, so is the service interval shorter than other, more jewel-blessed chronos? Nope.

If you need a chronometer fine - but you will have to service it more often to keep it that way (see above remarks re: servive cost) and even most humble 3570 Speedys preform at or close to COSC.
    Water resistance? do you NEED it? How much? Speedys will go in a pool, you need more maybe you should get a diver chrono.

Display backs are great - for a month or so, after that they become just 1 more potential source of a water leak, and you wanted MORE water resistance right? Oh, and it's going to cost more to properly reseal that sucker too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The chrono hand on my Superavenger seems relatively smooth on activation. It does have that snappy reset like all 7750's if that's what you mean by jerky.

I'm biased because I bought my Breitling (pretty much the same watch as the Avenger) over the Omega so I will be one of the few who recommends it. If you like the Speedy more, the Sapphire Sandwich or the 9300 are the way to go IMO. Best of luck with your purchase

Nope - I mean jerky I.e. non smooth movement around the dial.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information