Omega unveils new antimagnetic seamaster
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Omega unveils new antimagnetic seamaster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just read about this in WatchTime magazine and found it to be pretty interesting. Apparently Omega has managed to designed a new movement (or improved upon the current cal 8500?) able to withstand 15,000 gauss; thats fifteen times the magnetic resistance of the Rolex Milgauss. What really caught my attention was where they were quoted saying this movement will eventually be featured in ALL new Omegas some time in the future. I was thinking of rewarding myself with a Planet Ocean later this year if I get the job I'm going for but I may wait until the new movement is implemented in them before I buy. Seems like a cool feature to have. Anyone interested in reading the article can find it here:

http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-...m_medium=email
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Click HERE to visit my watch review channel

Re: Omega unveils new antimagnetic seamaster

Worldtimer must be the new 'In' thing

Quote Originally Posted by napel View Post
    Worldtimer must be the new 'In' thing
    I'm confused what does this have to do with world time?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wonder if that AT will turn into something of a collectors item if the new anti-magnetic movements take off (or even if they don't). Could be a little like Seiko's Astron. This is the kind of thing that begins to make their assult on Rolex more plausible. Innovation is what laid the groundwork for Rolex's status as first among equals.

Attachment 1018422
    Last edited by ljb187; March 22nd, 2013 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Wonder if that AT will turn into something of a collectors item if the new anti-magnetic movements take off (or even if they don't). Could be a little like Seiko's Astron. This is the kind of thing that begins to make their assult on Rolex more plausible. Innovation is what laid the groundwork for Rolex's status as first among equals.

Attachment 1018422
    This is most definitely yet another of many moves Omega has made to position themselves closer to Rolex. I suspect Rolex will release their own beefed up Milgauss to match the Omegas 15,000 gauss resistance rating but maybe I'm wrong. Most Rolex buyers aren't really breaking the door down for higher magnetic resistance ratings so it wouldn't be a great financial investment on their end if there's no real demand for it.

Not being the shyest brand around, I was gonna joke that Rolex is probably hard at work on a Milgauss version of their Deep Sea Special that would be able to resist the magnetism at the Earth's core:

Attachment 1018495

Come to think of it, such a Milgauss might actually be feesable since the thickness required for such a watch would be probably be about the same as an Omega chronograph with the 9300 movement.
    Last edited by ljb187; March 22nd, 2013 at 22:30.

Not being the shyest brand around, I was gonna joke that Rolex is probably hard at work on a Milgauss version of their Deep Sea Special that would be able to resist the magnetism at the Earth's core:

Attachment 1018495
    I was literally picturing that exact watch when envisioning how crazy a new beefed up Milgauss could look. Throw on a lightning bolt seconds hand and there you have it lol. In all honesty I really love the Milgauss and would absolutely consider one if I were in the market for a Rolex. I'm just curious to see if and how far they'd go to develop a new one.
    ljb187 likes this.

I wouldn't hold off buying a PO in hopes of getting the super anti magnetic movement unless you're willing to wait years. That watch isn't a production model so there is no telling when it actually hits the market. Then you have to consider how long Omega will keep the tech exclusive to one model before it trickles down across other lines.

Attachment 1018422
    Man, that pic makes me miss my AT

Who would actually test what this watch can do on a daily basis?

Although what am I talking about - I dont dive with my PO or fly with my pilot : )

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I wouldn't hold off buying a PO in hopes of getting the super anti magnetic movement unless you're willing to wait years. That watch isn't a production model so there is no telling when it actually hits the market. Then you have to consider how long Omega will keep the tech exclusive to one model before it trickles down across other lines.
    Well actually the article says that the watch will be available "later this year."

Personally, I like the styling. I've always loved the intense contrast on the golf AT and the AT with the blue hands / markers. The yellow is very intense. This could very well be the first Omega that I buy new...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information