Which one goes?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which one goes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which one goes?

So I need to flip a watch to help finance a recent acquisition. Initially I put it my Seiko SARG015 on the Bay, but having a bit of pre-sellers remorse and now considering keeping it at flipping my Christopher Ward C5 Slimline instead. Pros for the Seiko are that it's my only Seiko and love the blue dial. Pros for the C5 is that it's a manual wind and all my other watches are autos. It is also dressier and has a lower profile when wearing cuffs. Cons for the Seiko is that I don't think the build quality is on a par with the C5 (well, the movement is definitely noisier than my other autos), but it isn't significantly inferior. Cons for the C5 is the movement is pretty plain and I have 2 other Chr Wards (although another is also on the chopping block). Because it is much smarter looking it doesn't get much wrist time. I'm pretty much on the fence here, any input to help me decide is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Manchuri; July 21st, 2016 at 10:49.

Re: Which one goes?

Keep the seiko. Its a more versatile watch IMO.

On a side note... What pen is that in the background? Looks noice!

Manchuri likes this.
    Watch List:

Mont Blanc Star XXL Automatic (Ref. 101644)
    Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 RS (Ref. CAV511A.BA0902)
    Rolex Explorer 39mm (Ref. 214270)
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Sapphire Sandwich (Ref. 3573.50)
    Rolex Submariner (Ref. 114060)
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay (Ref. 79230B)
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 (Ref. CV01AJ.BA0727)
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3227)
    Oris Aquis Date 43.5mm
    IWC Ingenieur (Ref. 3239)
    Mont Blanc Star 4810 Automatic (Ref. 102340)
    Rolex Datejust II (Ref. 116300)

Lose the CW, like that Seiko it's got a Tudor Grantour vibe.

Manchuri likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Crate410 View Post
    On a side note... What pen is that in the background? Looks noice!

It's a Waterman Carene rollerball :)

Hard to say without knowing what else is in the collection, but I'd rather own that Seiko than the C.hR? Ward.

I would keep the Seiko It's just looks better imho... vintage vibe, modern movement, nice size and yes, more versatile.

I think when you wear these watches / rest of collection might help you decide -- if you already have a no nonsense 3 hander then losing the slimline makes sense, while if you already have daily wearers with better build quality then you might prefer selling the seiko.

For me perceived quality is quite important -- I can't ever see myself having more than 3-4 watches because once I get a watch of a certain style I perceive as being "nicer" then others I tend to always pick it.

Another standard choosing protocol: flip a coin to decide which to sell, if after the flip you wish it had landed on the other one, sell that one instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristis View Post
    I think when you wear these watches / rest of collection might help you decide -- if you already have a no nonsense 3 hander then losing the slimline makes sense, while if you already have daily wearers with better build quality then you might prefer selling the seiko.

For me perceived quality is quite important -- I can't ever see myself having more than 3-4 watches because once I get a watch of a certain style I perceive as being "nicer" then others I tend to always pick it.

Another standard choosing protocol: flip a coin to decide which to sell, if after the flip you wish it had landed on the other one, sell that one instead.
    I like your system! After about 18 months of buying without selling anything (typically every time Chr Ward has had one of their 50% off sales), I've been whittling down the collection to get to 3 or 4 pieces. Currently the collection is: ChrWard C60 (charcoal version), Damasko DA38 on bracelet, then either the Seiko or C5, with a CW C20 Lido and CW C11 Vintage being culled from the herd recently. I have a dress watch which is very rarely worn, which is my grandfather's gold Omega Geneve on black leather, but that will be with me for life. Once I'm down to three, I plan on saving towards getting something with a white dial, currently leaning towards a deck watch with small seconds, or a dressier chronograph like the Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro (although the thickness of the chronographs is putting me off).

Thats a great range of watches you have, and frames your dilemma quite well as I see the functionality of both the Seiko & C5 (both great watches) already covered by other pieces in your collection. if you don't find yourself wearing your designated formal watch often because you either want to baby it as it has so much history, or find it too vintage for your tastes, then I would keep the C5. If you like having a wider range of watchmakers in your collection though and find 2 ChrWards too much, then keeping the Seiko is perfectably reasonable too! Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Manchuri View Post
    I plan on saving towards getting something with a white dial, currently leaning towards a deck watch with small seconds...
    Is a ChrWard C9 small seconds in the distant future ;)? in any case, good luck with your choice!

Decided to go with the gut that letting the Seiko go is the wrong decision. I think I was partly influenced by the poor quality stock strap it came with. Put my Damasko leather strap on it this morning and wearing it today and it's already gone up a notch in the perceived quality front. Amazing what a strap can do for a watch. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information