The one that got away?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The one that got away?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The one that got away?

What watch did you not pick up when the opportunity presented itself, and now you regret that you didn't get it? Maybe identical examples you find these days are now out of your price range, or whatever.

Mine would be this SMP 300 auto. Surely an 1120 movement inside, which I think was Omega's last version before they switched the 300M to coaxial. It was at a mall kiosk in California, mixed in with run-of-the-mill jewelry and a couple other watches (including a ladies' Constellation), with a price of $1700. I was told that it was recently serviced, but I didn't ask for proof or papers because I really couldn't buy it that day. I would've offered, and paid, $1500 if I were buying. Looking online now, I can't find this generation for much less than $2k.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: The one that got away?

For me it's the opposite. There are several would have been impulse buys but I was too late. Never circled back to get them, so I was saved by my own incompetence.

Score!

For me, it was the Seiko SBQJ015. At that time, it has just recently been discontinued, and Seiya was asking about $500 for it, which was more than I was comfortable spending on a watch sight unseen at the time. By the time I was convinced it was worth it, it was all sold out, and even preowned examples of the watch are almost impossible to come by.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

a 2003 Sub on local classifieds, just a short drive away, for A$3800 (US$3550). That's a screaming hot price for Australia and, I think, also the US.

Emailed the guy but didn't end up going there because it had no box or known service history and I was not keen on waiting for it to get serviced. I am 99.9% that it was genuine given the pics he made on request.

I would love to have that Sub on a NATO.
    One watch, many opinions.

These threads come up every now and then and brings back the painful memory. When this LE (265 in the world, I believe) first came out, I hesitated for shock at it's MSRP. Shoulda done it, cause now only pre-owned ones come up once in a blue moon at just shy of double the original price (and they move). Sigh
    Attached Images Attached Images

A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

This one in 2001, but it was 3 x the price of a Lange 1 + you must put 1/3 down + a 3 year waiting period.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dufo...2F%3B569%3B500

I pretty much missed 2007 when a new Speedmaster was $2k and a new Sub was $3k.

Name:  Omega Speedmaster pricing.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  Rolex Sub price history.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  68.8 KB
    BarracksSi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I pretty much missed 2007 when a new Speedmaster was $2k and a new Sub was $3k.
    Those prices are in British pounds.
    BarracksSi likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Those prices are in British pounds.
    That makes a lot more sense!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Two for me - an Omega 2254, new, with a warranty from an AD. For $2500. This was a couple years ago, now, and they're still selling for that on the used market. I had the cash on me, but I was apprehensive of dropping it all on a single watch purchase. I ended up buying dive gear with the money - so it wasn't completely lost.

The other was a 1969 861 Speedmaster. Selling for $3000 at a local shop. A fair, but not super generous price, given that this was 4 years ago, no. Still, had I bought it, and kept it. I would likely be able to flip it right now without any loss, save for inflation. Wouldn't have been a bad price to pay for almost half a decade of vintage Speedy ownership.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information