One iconic watch versus several interesting lesser watches?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: One iconic watch versus several interesting lesser watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One iconic watch versus several interesting lesser watches?

I got bit by the watch bug about 10 years ago. I'd always admired mechanical watches. My first purchase was an Oris diver. Then I discovered this forum and found out about Ball watches and other lesser known brands. After a few purchases and sales I ended up with my small collection of a Ball Engineer II Diver (gets most wrist time) an Omega SMP 2254.50 (my "fancy watch") and a Damasko D56 (I love it's understated design). Originally. I thought I'd add a new watch to my collection annually. However, this threesome brought me so much pleasure I stopped yearning for more time pieces. Alas, my fickle heart began to wonder. Ball watches started promoting special offerings and auctions. My collection is doubling with a Ball Engineer King III and two other models incoming. Hence, my question, would it make more sense to own one iconic watch that might actually appreciate in value (e.g. Rolex Explorer , Rolex Sub , Omega Speedmaster or IWC Mark (?)) or enjoy my 5 or 6 lesser known watches? Maintaining my small collection will actually end up costing more (my Omega and Ball are getting due for service) then maintaining one higher end watch. I guess if I pair down to one watch it will no longer be a hobby and I'll stop frequenting WUS. Maybe my guitars will get played more, ha!

Re: One iconic watch versus several interesting lesser watches?

I would take one iconic watch over several lesser watch, I had a longines few years back and after that I thought I could buy more in the same price range like oris, ball etc but I decided to save for a sub no date instead and didn't regret it. My sub was my only watch aside from a gshock as better for almost 2 years until I add another rolex recently
    Current line up:
    Rolex 116610 LV
    PAM00682
    IG dr3ws

Quality trumps quantity for me every time being a minimalistic guy anyway. My perfect trio would be

Seiko Marinemaster sbdx017
    Omega speedy pro
    Rolex sub c ND

The marinemaster would get most wrist time being my work/everyday watch with the speedy being worn on a nice leather and the sub for every other occasion. I would pass the sub and the speedy onto my two boys when they come off age then maybe purchase a GS snowflake in 15-18 years when my taste has changed
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First I will start by saying do not buy a watch just because you think it will increase in value. For that, invest in stock or something. This hobby is about pleasure and enjoyment of what you love. Second I will say do not buy a watch you may not like, if you love your current watches, keep them. I think it is good to have a few watches over just 1 because then you can switch up when you want and this will prevent you from getting bored.
    Gepetto82, Slm643 and vkalia like this.

I agree with Rakumi. If you like what you have, then keep them! I'm paring down my collection more because I have some watches I just don't wear than for any other reason. That being said, your best bet for something holding value is likely a Rolex Sub. Particularly if you get some sort of discount from an AD or buy non-new from a reputable source.

Hey Gep, I myself would love to downsize my collection as well for watches I do not wear much. But most are just to inexpensive to get anything for (so I will probably gift them to family) and some are gifts to me (which you cannot get rid of a gift from somebody special in your life). So the most I can do is buy another watch box (I have 2 already) and separate the stuff I do wear from what I do not. I get a little OCD about things like having things in a collection you have that you do not want to be a part of the collection. I have had this happen with other things I collect and ended up giving those items away.
    mystic nerd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakumi View Post
    First I will start by saying do not buy a watch just because you think it will increase in value. For that, invest in stock or something. This hobby is about pleasure and enjoyment of what you love. Second I will say do not buy a watch you may not like, if you love your current watches, keep them. I think it is good to have a few watches over just 1 because then you can switch up when you want and this will prevent you from getting bored.
    I like this. It already contains much of what I was thinking. Mainly; try to buy a watch only because you really like it rather than to own an icon or to fill a void of some type in your collection. Now, if you happen to fall for a watch and it also happens to be an iconic watch, then cool. If you focus on truly liking it first, resale value will take a back seat because you really won't want to sell it. One thing nice about having the collection you already have, is that you are in no rush as you search for that perfect next piece. Good luck.

Less is often more. Service costs should really factor in as well. Perhaps THIS video is the best example of the joy a "one iconic watch" can bring an individual.
    MIKE

Hey Rakumi, I am in a similar situation. I've got a few watches that were either inherited or gifted to me. In other words, heirlooms. I can't ever get rid of those as the sentimental value is too high. It's the ones I bought myself that I only consider selling. And even then, though, I only do it reluctantly. (I like buying things, dislike selling...). One watch I'm selling (Longines Legend Diver) is simply too big for my wrist, though I like it a lot and it was the first "real" watch I ever bought new (so, some sentimental attachment). But it hardly ever gets worn...
    mystic nerd likes this.

I've bought and sold more than 200 watches over the last decade or so, and at one point had more than a dozen in rotation, including Panerai, Rolex, Omega, Anonimo and just about every other watch made. Somewhere along the line I finally woke up and realized how really dumb it all was--to covet and hoard so many watches--after all, they're just watches!!--from that point, I actively started downsizing the collection, but my criteria on what I kept had nothing to do with whether they were "iconic" or not, nor with whether they were expensive or not--they simply had to look good, fit well, be reasonably accurate, not overlap with one another and be different from what the "average Joe" was wearing. I am down to a modest three--modest in price and "aftermarket" value, but truly high end in how I like them and in the fact all three are ones that I will just about never see anyone else wearing--I value distinctiveness over iconicity. And what a pleasure to find myself with money available for all kinds of other things that I would simply have bought another watch with!!
    Heljestrand and mystic nerd like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information