One of the nice things about a cheap (er, inexpensive) watch...
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By John Price
  • 1 Post By 440saw

Thread: One of the nice things about a cheap (er, inexpensive) watch...

One of the nice things about a cheap (er, inexpensive) watch...

Not sure if this goes here or in the Affordables forum but thought it MIGHT have appeal to the broader audience of the public forum...

When I go bike riding I wear a Parnis pilot's style watch (with the Unitas inspired movement). Anyway, got home from my ride and set the Parnis on the fireplace mantle next to my Planet Ocean that had been sitting there when I swapped for the Parnis for the ride.

A bit later in a moment of sheer klutzy-ness I knocked the Parnis from the mantle to the brick hearth - CRAP ! I first thanked my lucky stars that it wasn't the PO but then cursed myself for being a dope. Picking up the watch from the hearth I was amazed to see not a single mark on the case (and I saw it hit the side of the case as it impacted the hearth). Hmm, maybe Parnis and Bremont are sharing case hardening technologies (kidding). I then noticed that the watch stopped running. I tried giving it a gentle wrap with my knuckle (not a recommended technique) but nothing. So, figuring what have I got to lose I broke out the miniture screw driver kit and proceeded to remove the caseback. Soon discovered that the TINY screws that Parnis uses are SOFT. After getting the case back off I used the screw driver to give the balance wheel a gentle nudge and what do you know, the watch started right up again ! Put the caseback back on and set the time to see if it would stay consistent or lose/gain a lot. Next day it was doing fine. Didn't check it's timing against anything other than an eyeball against other watches I have and it was within tolerances (in other words not noticeable).

If this HAD been my PO I would've been sick to see it drop like that. And if it had stopped there's NO way I'd attempt to fix it myself.

So, here's to inexpensive watches and the freedom they give you to experiment.

John
    MZhammer, CCCP and Cr15py like this.

Re: One of the nice things about a cheap (er, inexpensive) watch...

Oh yes, I learned how to regulate a watch with a cheap Vostok. If I didn't have a sub-$100 watch I would never have learnt that.

Yeah I learned that, watches and bikes don't match, a LED light 7$ ebay watch is enough for biking, even Parnises would be luxury item on the top of bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is definitely something soothing about wearing a watch that even if you break it won't really bother you. Not the feeling I have when wearing my PO either, can't fault you for swapping them to go for a ride. Though the feeling of wearing the PO is quite nice too!

I feel a similar level of sickness breaking any watch. But like you, I too try to not put myself in a position to damage one that affects the wallet more than necessary. On days I know my odds are increased I opt for lower end timepieces, but even busting a Timex makes me unhappy.

The other nice thing about inexpensive watches is the have the ability to exceed your expectations. I would have figured that Parnis would have been toast when it stopped, but it survived to live another day!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

cbaytan,

I actually have a cheap quartz watch I usually use when cycling but the battery died and I've just not gotten around to replacing it. Had the Parnis handy and have been riding with it (including some gravel roads) and it's been fine. Go figure.

mpalmer,

Yeah, I thought the Parnis was toast too. Kind of thought to myself, "Hey here's a chance to buy a new watch to replace it". But then decided to try do-it-yourself watch repairs.

John

That's the big advantage of an inexpensive watch - if it does get bust it's no great loss or in you case you gave fixing it yourself a whirl. After all there was nothing to loose really. The PO, however, would have been a different story altogether

Not to mention that they are often nice looking. And, if you've delved into the technical comparisons between them and the higher priced spread, you find these inexpensive movements do pretty well in comparison.
    I have a few homages I wear in less than desirable situations too; let them steal them versus the full boat.
    Finally, I am with the love all watches group. I like them and how they work. I stopped caring what they cost and all, even if they were superior or not; because each level holds its own fascination for me. Its one of the nice things in life. G'day to all!!
    anabuki likes this.

I hear you... I too enjoy unexpensive watches, because you can wear them without too worries. My PAM homage once fell from 1m onto hard floor and no damage too. I was a little upset, but not like it would be for a more expensive one. These Asian Unitas definitely have good anti-shock systems
    Last edited by CCCP; April 23rd, 2013 at 22:51.

Thread Information