One for the Panerai Heads
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: One for the Panerai Heads

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Its my 40th later in the year and I am looking to add another watch. I am in two minds about Panerai due to the size, as I have a small wrist.

Am I right in thinking in 40mm its just the Luminor Marina or are there other models I should look at?

I dont mind 2nd hand or older models but cant get a accurate answer from any dealers either new or 2nd hand.

I currently wear 36mm and 40mm Rolex's and they fit me well so wouldn't want to go above 40mm.

I am not looking for reasons for/not for to buy Panerai or why Panerai is better than X just some clarification on the model sizing

I have tried to try on 40mm at dealers but its not easy to find one.

Thanks in advance to whoever can help.
    Last edited by cs12; March 20th, 2013 at 18:23.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    Its my 40th later in the year and I am looking to add another watch. I am in two minds about Panerai due to the size, as I have a small wrist.

Am I right in thinking in 40mm its just the Luminor Marina or are there other models I should look at?

I dont mind 2nd hand or older models but cant get a accurate answer from any dealers either new or 2nd hand.

I currently wear 36mm and 40mm Rolex's and they fit me well so wouldn't want to go above 40mm.

I am not looking for reasons for/not for to buy Panerai or why Panerai is better than X just some clarification on the model sizing

I have tried to try on 40mm at dealers but its not easy to find one.

Thanks in advance to whoever can help.
    Panerais aren't really known for being subtle, and it may even be true that the 44mm models are more popular than the 40mm models. If you are used to the 36 or 40 Rolex models, a Panerai might take some getting accustomed to. It's a bit thicker on the wrist and the crown guard adds some width, too.

Another factor is that the lugs on the Luminor models also adds some wrist presence. If you are looking for something a little more low key, perhaps you could also take a look at the Radiomir line?

Either way, Panerai is a great brand to consider. Happy 40th!

Re: One for the Panerai Heads

Models 48, 51, 241 and 310.

I'm not a Panerai head, I just researched it.

The Panerai heads seem to say that the 48 is the best of the 40mm models.
    Last edited by Gary123; March 20th, 2013 at 19:10.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My $0.02 is that if you really want a PAM, go for a 44mm not a 40mm. I also have small wrists, and I also own and comfortably wear 36 and 40mm Rolexes, but I went with a 44mm PAM 312 because, well, it's a Panerai and they're supposed to be big. Have you tried on the 44mm Luminors at an AD? If not, that would by my first step, as I also thought that they would look silly, but found out after trying a few on that I could easily pull it off.

If you're 100% set on it not being 44mm, I would then suggest you look at the 42mm PAM 392 - 1950s case, sandwich dial, in-house movement etc - in my opinion, nicer than the 40mm PAM 048.

Hi - I don't go for huge watches and as a result always gave Panerai a wide berth. But when I saw this used 241 up for sale and tried it on my wrist I just had to have it. I think Panerai should make more 40mm watches as it would really widen their appeal. Love 'em or hate 'em they have an instantly recogniseable style (not many brands can say that) and 40mm should be where they concentrate more effort in my opinion. Anyway on to the pics:

PS - It keeps great time and I have never regretted buying it.
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe – World Time Chronograph – 5930G-001
    Patek Philippe – Annual Calendar 5135G
    Patek Philippe – Aquanaut – 5167a-001
    Patek Philippe – Calatrava – 5196P
    A Lange & Sohne – Datograph
    Breguet – La Tradition - 7037BB/11/9V6
    Breguet – Type XXI Transatlantique Flyback
    Audemars Piguet – Royal Oak -15300
    Jaeger LeCoultre – Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface
    Breitling – Navitimer 46
    Breitling – Transocean Chronograph B01 Ltd Edition
    Rolex – Submariner No Date - 114060
    Zenith – El Primero – 30.0240.410
    Panerai – Luminor PAM 241
    IWC – Portuguese Chronograph
    Omega – Speedmaster (Sapphire Sandwich)
    Omega – Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 43
    Omega – Seamaster Planet Ocean
    Longines – Column Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograph 180th Anniversary Ltd Edition
    Longines – Master Retrograde Seconds
    Tudor – Heritage Black Bay 79220R Leather
    Meistersinger – Salthora Jumping Hours - SH908
    Tag Heuer – Monaco Calibre 11
    Tag Heuer – Aquaracer Two Tone Quartz

I second the Radiomir suggestion and recommend the PAM 337, which is 42mm and uses the in-house caliber. Here's a link to a Hodinkee hands-on review: Hands-On With The Panerai PAM 337 - The 42mm Radiomir (Live Pics) — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

Photo credit: Hodinkee (from blog post linked above)
    Mr. Panerai likes this.
    Daily wearer: Squale 50 Atmos. I have owned: Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim, Bremont Supermarine, IWC 818-AD, IWC Ingenieur Automatic, IWC Ingenieur Vintage Collection, IWC Mark XVI, IWC Pilot's Chrono, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, Laco Aachen, Mühle Glashütte M12, NOMOS Glashütte Orion Weiss, Omega Seamaster Sword Hands 2254.50 (x2), Omega Speedmaster Pro (x2), Orient Excursionist, Precista PRS-18A, Rolex Oyster Speedking, Schofield Signalman DLC GMT PR, Seiko SKX007K2, Sinn 756, Squale 50 Atmos (x2), Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, Tudor Black Bay Noir, Tudor Oyster-Prince ("Big Rose"), Zenith Captain Central Seconds

No reason to not go for the 40mm, especially if you're not used to bigger watches. 40mm is plenty big, and the 44m and above can look silly (even if I drool over some of the bigger Panerais ).

I have a 48 and am very happy with it. Fits my wrist well, despite what this photo might suggest.

Thanks Guys some great recommendations.

I tried on a 42mm Rad and it fitted ok but it was the rose gold so way too pricey.

Gets yours is great and something I have looked at and wanted.
    IOL yours is very nice.

Have tried larger ones and they are just too big for me.

Finding them in London is tough as most dealers get one and they are usually reserved.
    Last edited by cs12; March 20th, 2013 at 21:27.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

I have never been a fan of Panerai, but I really do like the Pam 337; A great looking watch, perfect size with an manual wind in-house movement. I have been eyeballing that model for the past 6 months or so. I think its time for me to head down to the AD to try it on.

337 is one of my favorite PAMs, though I feel the look of the movement is really lacking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information