One of these has gone

Thread: One of these has gone

One of these has gone

I had to get rid of one of these items. Being a WIS, you can all guess which one has gone.

Re: One of these has gone

Let me guess .....
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Quote Originally Posted by WatchUseek Admin
    Let me guess .....
    Yes your right Ernie, I flipped the Rolex.:-S

I craved for a Rolex for many years, but when I the GMT Master II, I went off it in less than 3 months.

Contributary reason was....I just got real pissed with people saying "Is that one of those fakes or is it real?"

Nothing wrong with the watch. Very nice, very accurate, very pretty. Just me. I don't think I'd buy another.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I guessed wrong then... I've heard this is real annoying, people asking if the watch you wear is real or fake

It seems Rolex and Panerai are two of the main leaders for this question. Am I right?
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers

Wow, I guessed wrong then... I've heard this is real annoying, people asking if the watch you wear is real or fake

It seems Rolex and Panerai are two of the main leaders for this question. Am I right?
    Wher i live it's Rolex and Omega. And people don't ask, when you wear one of these, people just assume it's a fake. Reason i did not buy either of them yet, even though i'd like a Seamaster, or a Sub (w/o date), or a SD.

Wow, not buying the watch you like because of what people might think of it? Is it that hard then? And why do they just assume they are fake? Is the market spoiled with fakes where you live?
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers

Wow, not buying the watch you like because of what people might think of it? Is it that hard then? And why do they just assume they are fake? Is the market spoiled with fakes where you live?
    I don't think the problem is what people think, its the annoyance of being asked. O|

I bought a pre-owned Submariner, then traded it on a new GMT Master II which I was naturally very proud of, initially. My pride in ownership waned progressively with folks who noticed it on my wrist and would casually ask if it was real.

The most memorable experience was in March this year while I was on a cruise ship. I got chatting with the Captain at his reception and he showed me his white dial Rolex Daytona. He took it off his wrist and I felt the weight. It looked real. Beautiful and shiny just like mine. I mean I could see any problem with it. He looked at mine and asked me if I wanted to swap. I was a bit gobsmacked than he laughed and admitted he bought it along with another 'Rolex' a Submariner from a shop Ankara, Turkey last year. He said he paid US$650 for the two as they were high quality imitations! He gave the 'Subby to his brother and kept the Daytona which he CLAIMED keeps perfect time. The ship's Chief Engineer (also an Italian) was in the conversation group and he sported a very impressive Sea Dweller. Yes, he got his from the same place. Paid US$350!! So there I was with my US$4300 original which they thought amusingly was a little overpriced, even for an original!
    The drinks however were free so I could drown my sorrow!:-D

BTW I only got this sort of thing with Rolex. I own Omega, Breitling and Oris and not one person has asked me if they were fake.

Cheers

I live where they come from - China. Southern China. Guangdong province.
    Lots of foreigners(*1) in China buy and wear fakes - i was one of them (A Breitling and an IWC).
    Luckily i never paid for them what the tourists pay(*2), or worse, what is asked for on these internet sites, so the learning was not expensive...
    But your chinese business partners, seeing you wearing eg. a Sub just assume you are "another of these foreign idiots who buy a worthless watch for too much money" - i can not afford this anymore.

I went for the real thing, but for obvious reasons prefer brands with low faking rates. Hong Kong and Macau are close and sort of watchbuyer's paradise...
    No fakes anymore. Never. All trashed...

Footnotes:
    (*1) Probably every male foreign visitor to China buys at least one...
    (*2) Prices: RMB 400 to RMB 600 is what the average US tourist pays, eg. for a bad Breitling fake. I can get any at RMB 160 or lower. US$ to RMB is 1 to 8.
    Last edited by cnmark; October 1st, 2006 at 18:21.

Thread Information