One Watch 5k
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: One Watch 5k

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

One Watch 5k

Yes, another one of these threads. I've been around here a few years and have never posted anything like this so I don't feel too badly about it.

Sometimes these are fun to participate in and sometimes they're redundant. Feel free to hop in or skip.

I've got $5k to spend on a watch. I follow the industry pretty closely and have some ideas of what I want but I'm always looking for something I hadn't considered.

Here's the deal. 90% of my life is casual to business casual. My current collection (pictured) reflects that. So even though I've got that covered it's probably the direction I'm headed. We've all done the hypothetical dress, dive, chrono collections here but in the real world that doesn't always apply. I friggin love dress watches but I never wear them and end up selling them. Likewise I've never owned a chrono that stuck. Cool to look at but just not my thing.

So what do I want? Typically I wear 36-41mm. Legible, clean dials. That's my sweet spot. The Black Bay covers my diver and I've got the Yema bronze on pre-order so I'm probably not looking for another.

Off the top of my head here's what I'm considering...

Rolex- Explorer I, Polar Explorer, OP39

Panerai- I really love my 048 and would consider the white dial 049

IWC- the Laureus Sport Mark XVIII might be at the top of my list.

Those are the leaders but I've probably got a list of 20 that's just below this tier.

Here are the rules...

There are none. I've given you a roadmap. Feel free to follow or not.
    You want to recommend a dress watch? I'll listen.
    Omega FOIS? Cool watch, I'll listen.
    You think I should buy 3 watches instead? Ok, name them.
    You don't care what I buy and just want to say what you'd buy? Cool, go for it.
    I've got all dark dials. Sell me on a white dial? I'm listening.
    Used is okay. Gray market okay. Budget isn't super firm.

Finally, to encourage participation I'm doing a giveaway. Sell me on a watch, even if it's one of those on my list, and you'll be the winner. I'm giving away the Concord Mariner Quartz pictured. It's used, well worn, and only fits a 7 inch wrist, but also free. And if you win and your fat wrist is too big I'll sub in something else.

Most likely I'll ignore everyone and get what I want (which is as it should be), and if that's the case I'll pick the best post and still do the giveaway.

So fire away gang...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MediumRB, anaplian, vkalia and 3 others like this.

Re: One Watch 5k

Grand Seiko Snowflake or Rolex OP39 white dial. You need a bracelet piece and a light dial, those are both perfect pieces in their own way.

You can give the Concord to a poor derserving soul whose Apple Watch is broken. I have 7.5" wrists.
    kyfra, thisisjlai, Simon and 3 others like this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

I was recently playing with a JLC Polaris at the AD and really liked it - seemed very versatile- could maybe pass as “dress” watch if necessary. 100m WR, 41mm x 11.2mm. I liked the clean, legible dial with no date. I figured I could use the internal bezel to track date by turning it to the corresponding minute marker. The blue dial is also very nice. It’s over your budget in a bracelet, but I think you might make it in a strap if you negotiate a decent discount.

Name:  8397A744-723A-4631-BA32-DCEF57984C6D.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  792.2 KB
    kyfra likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

5k would buy a whole lot of used Omega here in the classifieds....

There are a few I’m drooling over... and under 4K even...
    kyfra and Von170 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MediumRB View Post
    Grand Seiko Snowflake or Rolex OP39 white dial. You need a bracelet piece and a light dial, those are both perfect pieces in their own way.

You can give the Concord to a poor derserving soul whose Apple Watch is broken. I have 7.5" wrists.
    Grand Seiko is on the list. I like the snowflake and a lot of their other light dials. Torn between high heat and spring drive. But I also want some Luke. And I live the polishing but maybe too blingy for my lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelDeVille View Post
    5k would buy a whole lot of used Omega here in the classifieds....

There are a few I’m drooling over... and under 4K even...

Honestly beyond the Speedmaster I've never warmed to the brand
    AngelDeVille likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kyfra View Post
    Yes, another one of these threads. I've been around here a few years and have never posted anything like this so I don't feel too badly about it.

Sometimes these are fun to participate in and sometimes they're redundant. Feel free to hop in or skip.

I've got $5k to spend on a watch. I follow the industry pretty closely and have some ideas of what I want but I'm always looking for something I hadn't considered.

Here's the deal. 90% of my life is casual to business casual. My current collection (pictured) reflects that. So even though I've got that covered it's probably the direction I'm headed. We've all done the hypothetical dress, dive, chrono collections here but in the real world that doesn't always apply. I friggin love dress watches but I never wear them and end up selling them. Likewise I've never owned a chrono that stuck. Cool to look at but just not my thing.

So what do I want? Typically I wear 36-41mm. Legible, clean dials. That's my sweet spot. The Black Bay covers my diver and I've got the Yema bronze on pre-order so I'm probably not looking for another.

Off the top of my head here's what I'm considering...

Rolex- Explorer I, Polar Explorer, OP39

Panerai- I really love my 048 and would consider the white dial 049

IWC- the Laureus Sport Mark XVIII might be at the top of my list.

Those are the leaders but I've probably got a list of 20 that's just below this tier.

Here are the rules...

There are none. I've given you a roadmap. Feel free to follow or not.
    You want to recommend a dress watch? I'll listen.
    Omega FOIS? Cool watch, I'll listen.
    You think I should buy 3 watches instead? Ok, name them.
    You don't care what I buy and just want to say what you'd buy? Cool, go for it.
    I've got all dark dials. Sell me on a white dial? I'm listening.
    Used is okay. Gray market okay. Budget isn't super firm.

Finally, to encourage participation I'm doing a giveaway. Sell me on a watch, even if it's one of those on my list, and you'll be the winner. I'm giving away the Concord Mariner Quartz pictured. It's used, well worn, and only fits a 7 inch wrist, but also free. And if you win and your fat wrist is too big I'll sub in something else.

Most likely I'll ignore everyone and get what I want (which is as it should be), and if that's the case I'll pick the best post and still do the giveaway.

So fire away gang...

I was recently suggested Hermes Slim. I seriously considered picking it up. Think it is decently versatile with the font and finishing. Look just as good with a polo shirt and jeans as black tie. They start around $4000 USED. Easily find a white one for about $5500 in mint condition

Name:  hermes_13.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  48.4 KB

In the end I couldn't get over the movement finishing.

I always liked the Blue Dial OP Rolex better than the Explorer. Your whole collection are black dials too (with dark Slate Nomos). Need some other colors.

Name:  Starter-Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-114300-vs-116000-1024x640.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  57.0 KB

Black Flag is a nice Sports one with a Bracelet if you prefer the black (no bracelet in your collection)
    Attached Images Attached Images

AngelDeVille, kyfra and bossrik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gmads View Post
    I was recently playing with a JLC Polaris at the AD and really liked it - seemed very versatile. 100m WR, 41mm x 11.2mm. I liked the clean, legible dial with no date. I figured I could use the internal bezel to track date by turning it to the corresponding minute marker. The blue dial is also very nice. It’s over your budget in a bracelet, but I think you might make it in a strap if you negotiate a decent discount.

Name:  8397A744-723A-4631-BA32-DCEF57984C6D.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  792.2 KB

Thanks for the suggestion. JLC's modern offerings don't get me excited though

Speaking of hi beat, SBGH201 looks great in photos but I've yet to see one in person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nomos neomatil with silvercut dial

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information