The one watch collection, challenge accepted. (Well, 1.5 watch collection)
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The one watch collection, challenge accepted. (Well, 1.5 watch collection)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The one watch collection, challenge accepted. (Well, 1.5 watch collection)

Someone had posted here recently about an article on gearpatrol praising the idea of the "one watch collection"

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/06/03/in...ch-collection/.

One can debate the merits of his arguments in the article, especially depending on your point of view of watch collecting, but some of this points resonated with me. I've been flipping watches for about three years now and lately was starting to feel more and more like it was getting to be a bit too much. Too much money spent on things that could have been put to better use, too much time spent looking through forums, too much time thinking about the next watch I'd like instead of concentrating on things I should be doing. Speaking of those last two, hopefully they never check my internet history at work.

Instead of pondering endlessly over what to do about it, or try and convince myself that maybe 4 watches is a good number, I decided to take a stand and take the article writer's advice. From here on out, there will be one and only one watch that sits on my wrist every day.

Name:  5-31-2019 7-06-47 AM.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  92.1 KB

As he put it, "a weighty steel chunk of Swiss engineering, understated and unkillable..". It fulfills all my needs, from shorts and flip flops at the grill to meeting with customers at work in my tie. The only capitulation to necessity I'm making is keeping my old scratched up Seiko Solar Chrono for things that I really don't want to be wearing an Omega while doing (forestry, heavy exercise, roofing, etc.), hence the "1.5 watch collection". Everything else, on goes the Omega.

At first I was having a really hard time with putting up two watches in particular, but finally decided today to just bite the bullet and do it. My Oris Clipperton and Stowa Marine Original have been with me a while and are fantastic, but the choice was made easier by the fact that even when I told myself to wear them, I grabbed the Omega instead. Final straw was yesterday at my brother-in-law's wedding when the Stowa would have been perfect and I still grabbed the Omega. The Clipperton and Stowa will be listed tomorrow.

So in closing, once those last two are gone I'll be taking his last bit of advice and abstaining from any form of watch related news or social media. I know myself, and it'll be too easy to get sucked back in. Planning on enjoying the Omega for a long time, and really like the thought of only paying to service ONE automatic in 5 years. Good luck to all you collectors out there.
    toph, Weetabix, Covenant and 4 others like this.

Re: The one watch collection, challenge accepted. (Well, 1.5 watch collection)

Sorry, but you're a registered user on WUS. That means that it's only a matter of time before you drunkenly order new wrist candy and are back to square one. Don't worry, it has happened to all of us
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

I'm with you on this one OP. For me all I have is my aqua terra. Only other watch is a citizen brycen eco drive chrono. I tried wearing my other watches but like you kept putting my omega on.

Also like you the citizen is for things like mowing the lawn or gym. Everything else the omega is on my wrist. And besides being a one watch person helps you save money in the long term.

I like being a one watch person and still lurk on this forum, but I am not buying another watch for a long time. If it's for my fiancee or any other family member that is for them, so doesnt count. Maybe I'll get a speedy pro or seamaster pro and call it a one watch collection.

For now I am very happy with my aqua terra. I wore it on a date night with my fiancee, when my brother graduated and my sisters birthday. So it's got a lot of sentimental value to me already. Which I'm sure with your omega you will have many more memories made with watch.

For reference I've attached a picture of my watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by somyp View Post
    I'm with you on this one OP. For me all I have is my aqua terra. Only other watch is a citizen brycen eco drive chrono. I tried wearing my other watches but like you kept putting my omega on.

Also like you the citizen is for things like mowing the lawn or gym. Everything else the omega is on my wrist. And besides being a one watch person helps you save money in the long term.

I like being a one watch person and still lurk on this forum, but I am not buying another watch for a long time. If it's for my fiancee or any other family member that is for them, so doesnt count. Maybe I'll get a speedy pro or seamaster pro and call it a one watch collection.

For now I am very happy with my aqua terra. I wore it on a date night with my fiancee, when my brother graduated and my sisters birthday. So it's got a lot of sentimental value to me already. Which I'm sure with your omega you will have many more memories made with watch.

For reference I've attached a picture of my watch.
    Excellent looking Omega! I will admit, the Aqua Terra spoke to me a bit when I was looking for this one but was just a bit too dressy for what I was looking for. As reference, my wife asks why I'm dressed up if I put on my "good" Carhartt shirt at home. My wrists are 8" as well, so the planet ocean just seemed to fit better. If I had pulled the trigger though, that model you've got there is the exact one I was considering. Enjoy

I am enjoying it. And my model is discontinued. If you can find it you may get a good deal on it. My wrist is only 7 inches so on your wrist it wouldn't look too small. The watch is 41.5 mm in diameter. I got it on clearance for 3 grand. So if you can find it for around the price pick it up. And the thing is a strap monster. So change it over to a black nato to dress it down and the wife will think you're wearing a cheap seiko.

Can't blame you. There's something to be said about the minimalism and not having to make the incredibly tough decision of 'which watch will I wear today?' with a one watch collection. It frees up a lot of mental capacity.

I've tried condensing to just my Steinhart Ocean 39 but then I needed a watch with a pop of color... And then a watch for a formal occasion that popped up. 13 watches later, here we are. Shrug.

Here’s my one watch collection....

....but only in my dream.
    Cheddar and Dean Learner like this.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

What makes watches a pro and con is that there are so many out there. Sure I'm happy with my beater citizen and daily omega, but I'm always going to feel like something is missing. Even if I satisfy those needs I'm always craving more even if my funds dont allow it at the moment.

Take for instance my aqua terra. A simple change of the strap or bracelet and its dressed up or down. A gada watch for sure. But now I want a chronograph, a diver, a dress watch, a pilot's watch, and the cycle goes on and on.

It would be nice if my aqua terra was the one watch I owned until I died, but it might not try as hard as I might. I think the only watch that can do it all is a smartwatch. Make a smartwatch iso diver certified, shock proof, and shatter proof, and at least 2 weeks battery life and it is the only watch you will ever need other than straps.

One day we may get there. But for now I say we as a community enjoy watches. Whether our personal collection is 1 or 1000 we should enjoy the watches we love.

Exactly what I have on the way for my 1.5 watch collection. My old Tissot t-touch is staying as a beater as it was a sentimental gift so can't sell it but can't wait to have the BB in my hands as my daily wearer

Enjoy the simplicity OP

Quote Originally Posted by wtma View Post
    Here’s my one watch collection....

....but only in my dream.
    wtma likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    Exactly what I have on the way for my 1.5 watch collection. My old Tissot t-touch is staying as a beater as it was a sentimental gift so can't sell it but can't wait to have the BB in my hands as my daily wearer

Enjoy the simplicity OP
    Well if I had to pick one beater to complete the 1.5 watch collection, it would be the G-Shock GW-5000. Solar, multi timezones with DLC coated steel screw backcase. As much as I like the idea, I’m not sure it will happen soon, if at all.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information