I was thinking about this today. If one were to have one watch for a life time and it had to be worn everywhere always, what would the requirements be? From there what watch is a true everything watch?
A few things that I figured would be a requirement.
- Steel bracelet. You really shouldn’t get leather wet and you do need something that can go to a dressy event.
- Water resistance. I think 100-200 range is needed, I’m not sure where the line is. But you can’t have a watch you can’t jump in a lake with.
- Lume. I’m not a huge fan of it, but there is a time and place.
- Timeless. Clearly it can’t be a design that will look extremely dated with time.
- At least has a date. I’m not sure when I’d ever need a stop watch (though not bad to have) but I can’t imagine going through life without the date. Really useful stuff here!
- Simple design. This might go with being timeless but I feel a simple design is just needed for something that has to go with and be worn everywhere.
- Sapphire imo is needed for durability.
- And being serviceable anywhere seems important to me as well so ETA movements get a bit of a nod here.
So after somewhat ticking this all of, I believe my Tag Link Caliber 6 does this pretty damn well. Simple desig, 200 meter water resistance, black and steal is pretty easy to mix….it doesn’t go with a tux and yeah it’s a bit sporty for a suit, but hell people wear Rolex subs with suits today.
So, what are YOUR requirements and what watch is your “does everything” or heck “swiss army knife”?