One year on the wrist. Ball Hydrocarbon Silver Fox, Limited edition #817 out of 1000
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: One year on the wrist. Ball Hydrocarbon Silver Fox, Limited edition #817 out of 1000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One year on the wrist. Ball Hydrocarbon Silver Fox, Limited edition #817 out of 1000

Hello WUS and Fellow WIS! I don't post here as much as I used to. But thought it would be nice to come give a review of my Everyday watch after one year on the wrist!

I should clarify, that when I say everyday...I mean at least 6 days out of 7. This was my "down to one watch" watch...for quite a while. I do have a couple in the drawer, the ubiquitous Gshock for those times when that is what you need. I am also not ashamed to say that I own a Shinola Runwell. I DO live in Michigan, and I do sales...so there are times that when in front of the right person, it is a good fit. Matter of fact, I was so impressed with it, I bought one for my kid for his 16th birthday ( on a super internal sale ) but I digress....Back to the Ball.

I traded my Omega Aqua Terra for this watch from a fellow member who had purchased the Ball new from Topper. It was only a couple months old, and nearly new. I had been looking for a Everyday watch. One that would fit in to my life for every occasion. I had thought the Omega was that...but the 38.5 mm was just too small for my massive 8" wrist.

Some History on Ball... The company was founded in the late 1800's and was synonymous with Railroads, And after the "Kipton Disaster" (feel free to google it) they created the "RR standard" These timepieces had to meet the railroads exacting standards of the following.

• No lid on the dial, size 18 or 16 (44.86mm or 43.17mm)
    • Plain white dial, bold black hands and Arabic numbers
    • Winding stem at 12 o’clock
    • Minimum of 17 jewels
    • Must have a double roller
    • Must be lever set
    • Adjusted to at least 5 positions
    • Be adjusted to temperature 40 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit
    • Accuracy with a gain or loss of maximum 30 seconds a week (right in that COSC area)

This model is a Ball Engineer II Hydrocarbon Silver Fox Limited Edition. Number 817 of 1000 made. Named after Colonel Robert "Silver Fox" Stephens, who in 1965 became the fastest and highest flying man on earth when he flew an experimental Lockhead YF-12A an average of over 2,000MPH at over 80,000 feet. Cool story bro...

It is COSC Certified, Shock Resistant to 7500 G's Water resistant to 333 Meters, 41.5 mm case, with 4mm anti reflective sapphire crystal. Anti Magnetic to 12,000 AM. Has 16 Flat Tritium tubes with an original MSRP of $2799.00. Not sure if they had a pre sale discount like they do these days.

Name:  Face.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  202.8 KB

Name:  Birthday.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  210.0 KB

These day's Ball is a swiss made watch, with serious American roots. Ball is one of the top 20 brands every year for COSC certification ( I will get into that more later )

Some of the reasons I choose this watch as my daily wear.

I work for a construction sales company, and part of my job is to Demo tools. Hammer Drills, Concrete Breakers (jack hammers) Powder actuated tools. I am in mud, dirt, silica dust, giant magnets, and all other types of things that can really frack up a watch.

Name:  7342084208.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  21.3 KB

I liked the tagline "accuracy under adverse conditions"...that kind of sums up my life! Has it been super accurate? No...not as much as I would like. We all know COSC (pre watch case) should be -4 to +6. This one has jumped all over the place, all the way up to -12 a day.

Name:  chronometer.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  220.0 KB

Now even though it is "Anti Magnetic" Chronometr (to 12,000 A/M) I have discovered that getting too close to something like this...

Does not help in that COSC rating. I have had to have it demagnetized twice. Once time also getting it regulated. I at one time was going to send it back to Ball for servicing...but discovered that if you let the mainspring wind down, and wait a day before rewinding, it will typically go from -7 a day to -3. No idea why.

I have appreciated the sturdiness of this watch. I is a bit "thicker" then what I was used to. And even at 41.5 mm it wears bigger with the 16.1 mm bulky case. But it wears very comfortable.

Name:  brushedside.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  188.9 KB

I liked the brushed sides, as they keep glare down, and really hold up against a lot of scratching.

Name:  crown.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  116.7 KB

I like the screw down crown, and the crown protector really is top notch. There are occasions that my fat wrist will pop it open, but is is very sturdy, and I can't see it ever breaking off.

Name:  clasp.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  claspbuckle.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  190.4 KB

The clasp is top notch on the bracelet. IT has a nice feature of having a "divers clasp" on both sides. It closes well, and stays shut. I have had to get used to not being able to throw another strap on whenever I want...as the screw down bracelet is made to take heavy abuse. (which I give it) This was a mandatory thing for me since my issue a few years ago, leaving my beloved Hulk on the bottom of Lake Michigan...anyone that has been here for awhile knows that story... Give me a second as I wipe the tears from my eyes.

Name:  depth.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  148.6 KB

One of my requirements in a watch is water resistance, and this with 333 meters will hold up to whatever I would throw at it. Sooo...showering...swimming at the Y, and occasional beach trips.

Name:  screwdownlink.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  127.6 KB

I have had issues with the screw down links starting to pop out, 2 times. Both times from heavy impacts. Once was from throwing punches at a heavy bag...and the other was a direct impact from a flying piece of concrete. I took it to my watch guy, who threw some Lock tight in, and they have stayed in place.

Overall it has held up extremely well. There are some minor scratches on the bracelet and clasp. There is a couple of small ones on the bezel insert. However, for what I do for a living, and the abuse this takes....Wow...just wow! Ball is not making it up when they say made for adverse conditions. I anticipate every 2 to 3 years having to throw $3-400 for a full service. A little sooner then what many would do. But the way I live and work. I think that is fair.

This has been a great watch, and even with some minor problems. I am sure that it is a lifetime piece. Or at least a 25 year piece...when the tritium runs out.

For the price of the watch, it falls in line with more expensive watches I have had in the past as far as fit and feel. I would not hesitate to buy another Ball, or encourage someone looking for a "everyday" watch, that you can still hand down.

It is in a price point, that yes still expensive to some, but not so expensive that it needs to be a safe queen that you only pull out every once in awhile. I think this falls into that perfect category of an "every man" watch. Not so out of a price range that with some saving most can't get to. And still high enough quality that most watch snobs won't look down at one on the wrist.

Name:  Swissmade.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  172.9 KB

Attached Images Attached Images

Time is relative.

Re: One year on the wrist. Ball Hydrocarbon Silver Fox, Limited edition #817 out of 1000

Nice writeup. I've owned my Ball Engineer II Master diver for about 8 years and never ceases to bring me satisfaction as quality time piece for a good value.
    DaveTOG and Heljestrand like this.

Re: One year on the wrist. Ball Hydrocarbon Silver Fox, Limited edition #817 out of 1000

Great review. I have the Engineer II chronometer and it's run pretty much at +3/4 or a second a day for the last 4 months. Though I wear it 24/7 (comes off for MTB 7 or * hours a week) so it must be pretty much fully wound all the time. It did take a month or two too settle down (I had it from new) so maybe yours will do the same after constant wear.
    DaveTOG and Heljestrand like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing about your watch and for sharing the pics! Enjoy!
    DaveTOG likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the your watch....much appreciated!
    DaveTOG likes this.

Great review, thanks! I have a soft spot for Ball watches having owned several over the years, but I'm down to one now. I've purchased it twice, so per my rules, it can never go away (until I get the dial replaced in 20 years or so).

It's pretty much the same one you have and you're right, it is one tough watch.

Name:  x-lume.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  285.7 KB
    Heljestrand, WhoIsI and DaveTOG like this.

Great review--but why did you post it here? This should be in the Ball-dedicated forum--this is going to get lost amongst the endless and inane posts of "should I buy x, y or z?", "what watch will help me score with (whatever, whomever, whenever...)?", "is this Rolecks authentic?", etc....
    DaveTOG likes this.

Thanks for posting it here. I don't frequent the Ball forum and I enjoyed the read. Sounds like it's held up under some pretty demanding use. Jackhammering, hit by flying concrete, etc. and still holding up well and keeping decent time. Pretty impressive.
    Heljestrand and DaveTOG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Great review, thanks! I have a soft spot for Ball watches having owned several over the years, but I'm down to one now. I've purchased it twice, so per my rules, it can never go away (until I get the dial replaced in 20 years or so).

It's pretty much the same one you have and you're right, it is one tough watch.

Name:  x-lume.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  285.7 KB

I like the additional tritium tubes with the numbers. I am sure it makes it pop even more in the dark.
    Time is relative.

Dave it is posts like this that further inspire me to do the proper research to narrow down my search for a Ball watch myself. I made a visit to my local Ball AD and was quite impressed with the choices. Initially my thought was the Ball Marvelight because it would work as a very fine GADA watch. During my visit I spent the majority of the time trying it on and measuring it against the Fireman Racer with a short dalliance with trying on some of the heftier Hydrocarbon offerings similar to the watch you have enjoyed this past year. More than likely the Marvelight will work best for my needs but I truly need to make a more in-depth visit and try on more watches so that I don't have any second guessing that would cloud my decision to find the right ONE.

Just today a placeholder watch arrived (SEIKO "Blumo") and I intend to wear it exclusively for as long as it takes to save up the cash for the Ball watch I ultimately decide on. I am not a collector so more than the Sumo and a Ball would be wasted on me because I attempt to be more of a minimalist. Thanks again for your fine post of inspiration.
    MIKE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information