Online retailers in Canada
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Online retailers in Canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Online retailers in Canada

Hi!

I've been shopping for some nice watches, but finding authorized dealers based in Canada (to avoid duty and fees) has been difficult. However, I have found enough for a small list that people may find useful. In no particular order:

-thebay.com
    -sears.ca
    -watchit.ca
    -brandwatches.ca
    -monacogroup.ca
    -peoplesjewellers.com

Does anyone have any more?

Re: Online retailers in Canada

You can add Momentum as a Canadian maker. Their website has a list of dealers, across the country. Some of those may be online.

| Momentum® | St. Moritz Watch Corporation

But the question will come up: what do you mean by nice?
    Last edited by Ramblin man; July 29th, 2014 at 06:23.

I suppose by nice watch I mean just about anything well made. For example, I am having a heck of a time trying to find anyone local or national that has a good selection of Seikos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

amazon.ca
    kf3506 likes this.

I currently reside in Canada and although I hate to be a downer but after doing some extensive research and comparisons, unfortunately, to me at least, it seems that any way you cut it buying out of the U.S. is the way to go. First, most Canadian retailers have inferior selection. Second, the prices at most any Canadian retailer are so outrageously inflated that even with the current sub-par exchange rate ($.074 to the U.S. dollar) it's still cheaper to buy out of the US and pay the shipping, duties and taxes.

As a random example, I just did a quick search for Tissot Couturier Automatic Chronograph Men's Watch T0356271605100 on amazon.ca @$1111.86 CAD (which is $842 USD), at thebay.com @$1095.00 CAD (which is $830 USD) not counting shipping of course. At Jomashop the same watch is $557.75 USD. So that's approximately a $272 USD difference between the one from jomashop and the one from the bay!!

Let's do the math if we go with Jomashop: $557.75+$9.99 (shipping)=$567.74 USD which at today's exchange is $748.82 CAD and then let's add the taxes (13%) and duties (5%) you would be paying at the border for a total of $883.57 CAD shipped and delivered. A no brainer to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by watch_1 View Post
    Let's do the math if we go with Jomashop: $557.75+$9.99 (shipping)=$567.74 USD which at today's exchange is $748.82 CAD and then let's add the taxes (13%) and duties (5%) you would be paying at the border for a total of $883.57 CAD shipped and delivered. A no brainer to me at least.
    I myself have made hundreds of orders from the US and have only paid duties about 5% of the time.

Here are some tips for ordering from the US to Canada.

- If given the chance, choose USPS first class (Their cheapest service). It takes just as long as USPS Priority and with First class i am only charged taxes about 50% of the time. More so with priority.

- Also USPS First class transfers over to Xpress mail when it hits Canada. Priority does not (don't ask me why).

- If you choose Fed ex sign up for an account (it's free) and you will no longer have to pay the $13 brokerage fee.

- If using a courier like Fed ex, UPS or DHL never use ground. Brokerage will be much more. Always use priority.

Thanks for the tips :).

PJR

Not quite an on-line retailer but a good source for used watches.

https://canwatchco.ca/forum.php

In the US, but as mentioned previously have rarely had an issues with customs. Great list for the record.

Here's another site I just located: https://www.chronext.com/ca

These guys appear to be based out of T.O. and their site actually has a decent selection (out of curiosity I looked at Tissot, Longines and Baume&Mercier).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information