Online vs brick & mortar

View Poll Results: Where do you get your watches?

Voters
51. This poll is closed

32 62.75%
  • Brick & mortar

19 37.25%
  • I make my own

0 0%
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Online vs brick & mortar

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Online vs brick & mortar

So just for fun, I wanted to ask the people on watchuseek whether they prefer to buy their watches from online or from a physical location.

To kick it off, I prefer buying my watches from online as I don't feel comfortable being harassed by the salespeople in a physical location. While there is something to be said about seeing watches "in the flesh" quite often I don't immediately make up my mind about getting it and repeat visits are greeted by frowns in the places I have shopped. So I greatly prefer the judgement free atmosphere of buying a watch online.

How ow does every else here feel about this?
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic
    Orient Goldeneye
    Seiko OM
    Citizen Perpetual A-T
    Bulova Precisionist Claremont
    Laco Munster
    C60 Charcoal Bezel

Re: Online vs brick & mortar

Bricks and mortar.

I quite like chatting with sales staff, especially when its somewhere I've been before. I also like having a hand to shake after a purchase, it seems more personal. Plus no delivery time etc.

Although I've yet to buy online - which I'm sure has its perks.
    Watchbreath and SFoskett like this.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Brick and mortar is nice because you can try on the watch and develop a bond. It's also nice if you get a knowledgeable salesperson. Down side is the price online and going GM can be substantially less. I'm all about supporting local establishments, but watches can be quite expensive and I've found that here in SoCal places aren't willing to budge much on msrp. If you find a store that will work with you buy from them, but if you want to save and still get manufacture warranty buy from out of state AD and save on sells tax.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i buy online if i have to (that means if there is no AD whithin reach) ,but i definitely go to a shop for the expensive ones.
    Since buying online is generally cheaper, i do my homework before going to the shop and when we talk about price i show them the best price i found online (ah, the beauty of smartphones....ten years ago i had to bring a printout of the site) and explain them that i'd rather be supporting my local community,but i cannot throw away money; it generally goes like " i do understand you have the shop bills to pay so i don't expect you to match this price exactly, but try to go as near as you can."

THis way i generally get a good deal without haggling too much ( which is a no-no in italy ) and i can come back to the same dealer without becoming an unwelcomed customer, because i never make an offensive offer.
    dbakiva and SFoskett like this.

When you're a Seiko fan-boy and you live in Australia, you buy online. It's...it's just the way it is
    Matty01, Mr_Ed, Firmin and 1 others like this.

I made all my major watch purchases online.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    When you're a Seiko fan-boy and you live in Australia, you buy online. It's...it's just the way it is
    I think if they stocked that stuff here, I would have a significant investment in Seiko as opposed to nothing so far.
    Domo likes this.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by AussieLoads View Post
    I think if they stocked that stuff here, I would have a significant investment in Seiko as opposed to nothing so far.
    And I'd have one of everything in the catalogue ;)

Damn, they make it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    And I'd have one of everything in the catalogue ;)

Damn, they make it hard.
    I reckon they'd do some huge business if they expanded their range here...

Brick and mortar,especially since I'm into bigger watches

Though for Seiko I'd go online,the price in my country is ripoff,SBDX011 for $4-5k

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information