Online vs. Real Shop Purchasing
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Online vs. Real Shop Purchasing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Online vs. Real Shop Purchasing

I had an interesting experience at a local jewelry shop today. I was returning my G-shock Mudman simply because i couldn't get used to its buttons and it felt uncomfortable when lifting weights. One gentleman said(over the phone) no questions asked we'll fully refund it within 7 days. I go there and another guy starts giving me a hard time about the box that contains the case and saying how he couldn't sell it with its condition(like anyone cares about the box). Not to mention he didn't give it to me in perfect condition anyway. Then he started saying how the watch was worn(it looked 100% brand new, it's a g-shock for christ sake)... and I politely responded by telling him the gentleman on the phone said 7 days no questions asked, it's only been 3. I had my girlfriend with me and she started raising her voice and telling him it doesn't matter because you WILL give us the refund haha. After some more mindless arguing he let it go then gave us the refund.

It just made me think about how shady some jewelry shops can be. I've bought my other 3 watches online and i've been pretty happy with them. Online purchasing imo is way better than going to jewelry shops. Prices are less if you know where to look(paid $75 for the mudman and i just saw it on Amazon for $55 free shipping), less hassles, and no annoying salesmen! Just kidding, not all are annoying but most i've interacted with are obviously not looking for your satisfaction. Admittedly, there was a bit of impulsive purchasing involved on my part but hey, live and learn. Had to let that all out lol, so what's your opinion? Any similar experiences?

Re: Online vs. Real Shop Purchasing

I've never bought online, but I have a feeling my next purchase will be. The last few days I've spoken to an Italian seller that I came across on Chrono24 and he was extremely polite and easy to deal with. Unfortunately the sale couldn't go ahead but it was a perfectly pleasant experience.

From buying in AD jewellers and 2nd hand shops run by watchmakers, both have been pretty easy to deal with too. The only AD I've bought from so far now knows me - so any subsequent dealings are painless and I'm happy to chat with the staff I know, as well as being confident about consistent discounts. I bought my latest from a watchmaker/dealer and while it was a less of a 'customer service' experience and I was in a bit of a hurry, no issues.

I make sure I'm always polite and tend to be pretty decisive about what I want, so from a sales perspective I think I'm fairly easy to deal with. I may be completely wrong.
    Bulover likes this.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

The bulk of my purchases have been made online after lots and lots of research and agonizing. I have bought a few pieces from brick and mortar shops and had varying degrees of customer service. I like the convenience of online and with the quality of digital photography it's relatively easy to get a good sense of what a watch will look like in hand.
    Bulover likes this.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For me, nothing beats being able to physically exam as well as try on the very watch I plan on buying. You can check it for the smallest of imperfections before paying for it, unlike buying online. You can check to make sure that the watch is an absolutely perfect fit on your wrist since specs. alone rarely tell the full story. Once again, can't do that online.

One thing for sure, always pay for a watch with a credit card. Bring a witness with you if you need to return the watch. If an SA gives you grief, don't argue. No need.

Just tell them you want a refund, you were promised one with no questions asked, and if they don't want to give you one now ... You'll just contact your credit card company and do a credit card charge-back. So they will refund your money to you whether they want to or not. Problem solved.
    Bulover and Perdendosi like this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

I've bought both in person, online, and from an out of state AD. It's a difficult thing, because it IS much more pleasant to make a purchase in person with flesh on steel. HOWEVER, it also COSTS alot more... sometimes thousands of dollars more. At minimum you have to pay sales tax. Also one of the nice things about buying in person is a chance to build a little relationship with the jeweler... but lets be honest here... you're a paycheck most of the time, and even if you like the guy, do you like him enough to give him an extra 500, 1000, or even more?

I think my preference in the end has to be an out of state AD who you can see every once in a while... who has good service... and can at least get in the same ball park as a Grey dealer.
    Bulover, drhr and Shane94116 like this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Agreed, that's life though there's always pros and cons to everything but I feel online purchasing just barely beats in person. You have to make sure you understand the risks especially when buying a more expensive watch though because of fakes, scams etc. Still, there's tons of reputable dealers online.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    For me, nothing beats being able to physically exam as well as try on the very watch I plan on buying. You can check it for the smallest of imperfections before paying for it, unlike buying online. You can check to make sure that the watch is an absolutely perfect fit on your wrist since specs. alone rarely tell the full story. Once again, can't do that online.
    Spot on, how the watch feels on the wrist is very important.
    Shearwater Research Teric --- Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z) --- Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E) --- Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003) --- Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph (C013.427.11.041.00) --- Rolex Submariner (114060) --- Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver (SBGA229G) --- Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570) --- Longines Heritage Pocket Watch (L7.012.4.21.1)

The only times I have bought from an authorized dealer it has been online. Otherwise I have bought on the grey market. I really see no compelling reason to ever buy from an AD in person, although I would not rule out doing so if the price was highly competitive.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

It depends on what you value. If you value saving money over everything, then shopping online will probably win out.

I value the watch first. Then I shop around. If I can get it in person at a good deal (not necessarily better than online but good) I prefer in person. I will pay the extra money to develop a relationship, have increased accountability, have what I consider to be "the full experience" of acquiring my watch, and support a local business.
    drhr likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

The only times I have bought from an authorized dealer it has been online. Otherwise I have bought on the grey market. I really see no compelling reason to ever buy from an AD in person, although I would not rule out doing so if the price was highly competitive.
    Yeah, this is my buying habits in a nutshell. I understand why people prefer in-person AD purchases, but I'm fine without it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information