Onslaught of Smart Watches
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Onslaught of Smart Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Onslaught of Smart Watches

The Wall Street Journal posted an article today stating the now Google is also developing a Smart Watch to counter existing products like the Pebble, as well as Apple's potential product release perhaps as soon as this Fall. Considering that Apple doesn't enter a new product line unless it believes it can be a game changer, what does everyone think will be the fallout of these new products?

How will the Smart Watch products ultimately affect quartz watches — which for the most part are purchased by non-WIS? What about mechanical watches?

I definitely see Smart Watches taking a bite out of mid-line quartz watches. The price point will be about equal and the Smart Watches will have the too cool for words factor at least initially.

The most curious question is what will happen to mid and high-end mechanicals? Smart Watches could ultimately increase the sales of higher-end mechanicals by making wrist wear more common again. It could be that Smart Watches might decrease sales across the board because everyone will want a Smart Watch. And some killer apps may be developed for the Smart Watches that might lock their sales in more strongly. And Smart Watches might not have any affect on mechanicals at all.

Assuming both Apple and Google release products that are highly desirable, how long before we see people wearing something on both wrists!
    davidtsee likes this.
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Re: Onslaught of Smart Watches

Here's what I would call a smart watch.

JLC 1, Google 0.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

This raises questions. Do you need to sync your Smart Watch with any other device? (Computer, Smart Phone)
    If one already has a Smart Phone, then why get a Smart Watch?
    <<<<<< Liverpool FC >>>>>>

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

one of my quartz watch (battery) just died, a bit hard to go out and get a new battery,

my 'Smart' phone just acted up ... decided to go on hibernate mode ... not sure if I'm too keen on 'smart watches'

Every time a thread is made on the subject, I see the same three names pop up with the same three watches.
    It's hardly an onslaught.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    I definitely see Smart Watches taking a bite out of mid-line quartz watches. The price point will be about equal and the Smart Watches will have the too cool for words factor at least initially.
    Are they coming with water resistance and at least a year's battery life? If not, I don't think they're going to touch quartz watch sales. They're not watches, just gadgets. Nobody wants to charge his watch every night and nobody wants to buy a new watch every time it rains.

Assuming both Apple and Google release products that are highly desirable, how long before we see people wearing something on both wrists!
    I would do this, if it had the right suite of information available. I'd need e-mail, messages, and calendar alerts at the least before it would go on my right wrist. It would also need the aforementioned battery life and at least rain/handwashing water resistance. I've actually thought that if somebody made a good rainproof wrist GPS it would become my go-to motorcycle watch. For that I'd even be willing to charge it every night.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green John View Post
    This raises questions. Do you need to sync your Smart Watch with any other device? (Computer, Smart Phone)
    If one already has a Smart Phone, then why get a Smart Watch?
    If one has any sort of phone, why does one need a regular watch? Yet many watches are still purchased and worn. Though many do go without and only use their SmartPhone.
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

If one has any sort of phone, why does one need a regular watch? Yet many watches are still purchased and worn. Though many do go without and only use their SmartPhone.
    Well, simple answer is that smart phones are only useful with the latest updates. My i-product has found ways to fail me on a few occasions. I truly understand your point, yet I guess I don't understand the movement society feels it needs to make. I find my life much more enjoyable when I forget my smart phone and am nowhere near a computer.
    <<<<<< Liverpool FC >>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    Every time a thread is made on the subject, I see the same three names pop up with the same three watches.
    It's hardly an onslaught.
    You need to adjust your perceptions. The iPhone was released in June 2007, and globally about 800 million SmartPhones have been purchased so far. A watch run of 5000 units is considered very strong. They will be measuring the first four months of an Apple Smart Watch release in the 100's of thousands of units sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green John View Post
    Well, simple answer is that smart phones are only useful with the latest updates. My i-product has found ways to fail me on a few occasions. I truly understand your point, yet I guess I don't understand the movement society feels it needs to make. I find my life much more enjoyable when I forget my smart phone and am nowhere near a computer.
    Heh. Luddite! Happiness is a warm rock and a book.

I die when I don't have Internet access! When else in history could you carry around an entire library in your pocket? I understand how many groan when they see someone poking at a keyboard at inappropriate times. Not me — don't have a need to text my teenage girlfriends. But I am constantly reading on mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information