Open heart with date
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Open heart with date

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Open heart with date

Hello all, I have become entranced with watching the rhythmic back and forth of the balance wheel in a open heart watch. The problem I have is that I need one that also shows the date for an everyday wear watch. I have been searching high and low and cant seem to find any that I like. I prefer a bracelet and most seem to be leather strapped. I don't have too much money and have a budget of around 250 dollars, but would be willing to spend a little more for higher quality. If there are any that were made pre 1990 it would be a bonus, but as I've found open heart designs seem to be a modern element in watches.

So lets see those open hearts!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Highrev15k; March 21st, 2013 at 05:38.

Re: Open heart with date

This Sea-Gull can be found for $320. There are plenty more open heart watches available from Sea-Gull around the $200 mark as well.

Sea-Gull 819.382 mechanical watch ST2575 automatic with big date & flying wheel

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

Gary123 and CitizenM like this.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

That Sea-Gull is lovely.

You're not going to find too many of these because a standard datewheel sits underneath the entire dial, which would block an open heart. You're generally going to need a grande date complication (like the one above, with two little datewheels) in order to leave room to see the escapement. Even then, you're not going to find a lot of options.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So I was looking at the Sea-gulls and found this one New Sea-Gull M163S flying wheel retrograde date power reserve automatic watch

Is there anything I should know about retrograde date complications, such as do they require more maintenance or anything? I've read that the Sea-gull brand is generally looked upon well but I haven't seen many reviews on this style of movement.

Oh and thanks for bearing with all the newbie questions. There is always so much to learn in this hobby it helps to have resources like this forum!
    Last edited by Highrev15k; March 21st, 2013 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by portauto View Post
    This Sea-Gull can be found for $320. There are plenty more open heart watches available from Sea-Gull around the $200 mark as well.

Sea-Gull 819.382 mechanical watch ST2575 automatic with big date & flying wheel

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto

This is a stunning looking watch! Temped to get the paypal account ready....

That really is a beauty. I may get one myself. I think the photographer had much to do with how pretty that watch looks.

The more complications a watch has, the more it costs to service. But at this price, I suspect that the cost to service the watch with retrograde functions would exceed the cost of the watch itself. I cannot imagine the service cost to service being less than $300 for a watch with two retrograde functions and a second hand and the watch costs $220.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

I've seen few nice Hamilton Khaki open heart models and few open heart Orients.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

tic

I can highly recommend the Seagull 819.382. I had the 819.380 before (well, I still do), but found it hard to read, most of all the date. This one has a cleaner look and the date is very easy to read. (Now it was only 25% thinner... But then it would cost a lot more...)

CitizenM and portauto like this.

I can't think of many models in your price range off hand, but basically some keywords to look for in your quest are those that allow the date complication to be moved around the dial more easily:

retrograde date

pointer date (or date subdial)

big date

These circumvent the need for large date wheels, making the open heart much easier to design around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information