Opening a Rotary auto watch

Thread: Opening a Rotary auto watch

Opening a Rotary auto watch

Hi,

First post to this forum!

A quick question, I have a nice Rotary automatic watch that has been fiddled with and the hands are not correctly aligned. I need to either remove the movement from the case or at least undo the bezel. I'm reasonably new to watches but I can't see how to do this. It doesn't look like a screw back or bezel as there is no indentations for the tool. Also there is no notch or anything for a snap back/bezel.

Could I need a rubber device or vacuum tool to unscrew the back and bezel? If so, any recommendations?

Obviously I don't want to go at it like a bull in a china shop before I know what's what!

Thanks

Andy

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Opening a Rotary auto watch

Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    ... watch that has been fiddled with and the hands are not correctly aligned. I need to either remove the movement from the case or at least undo the bezel....
    If I may ask, what will you do once you get the back off?

How do you plan to fix the hands?
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

I just want to reset the position of the second hand so it is correctly aligned with the hour hand. I have a hand removal tool! It also runs a little fast so will set the regulator too whilst I'm at it.
    I bought it ages ago from ebay for £20 so not a huge amount of money!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

well if the back cover does not have any tread or holes to unscrew it from the case, most probably it might be a pressure fitted cover... pretty weird the case doesn't have a ply gap... but you can try to carefully ply with a knife, protect your hand with a towel or something like that, will help if you submit a photo of the back of the watch as well one photo of the movement or the model number.. but most of the modern movements have a small release button for the stem (see attached image link) so all you have to do after you take the back cover off, is to locate the button near to the stem, pull your crown to it's outermost position, you can use a toothpick or a pin to push the release button down with one hand while the other hand pulls gently the crown and stem out of the movement, don't need to apply a ton of pressure, just a little bit... after this you have to unscrew the little plates which holds the movement to the case it self, put your fingers on top the movement then turn your watch dial up and separate the case from the movement, use your tool to remove the hands and relocate them at 12 o' clock position and assure them back to the movement.. re-assembly the movement to the case, insert the stem (this is to avoid movement misalignment), screw the plates back to the movement and do the same procedure you did to take the stem out in order to attach it to the movement... this is not difficult at all I've done it to my watches with out problems

Recent image by hodek-314159 on Photobucket

good luck!

Fair enough u got the watch cheap, should be easy to remove the movement and reset the hands, i did it on a Seiko 6138 a couple of months back,

Thanks Jose,

That was spot on! In fact with greater investigation under the loupe, I did find a little gap for the knife to get in and remove the back. Both back and front were very tight to say the least. Anyway, the hands are now aligned and just timing it over the next 24 hours.

Thanks for your help. Over the next few months I will be asking lots of what you experienced watch repairers will think of as stupid questions! But I would prefer to ask than mess something up!
    I gave been buying spares/repairs watches from eBay for a few pounds each, stripping them, cleaning and lubing, then re assembling. So far had good results although, of course by the time a watch gets to me as a repair from ebay, it is likely to be well shot! By the way, the first thing I do is to remove the balance assembly, put it on the stake and leave it alone!

If cleaning and lubing doesn't sort it I have found that mostly the balance spring has been twisted, stretched or otherwise abused. So it ends up being shoved in a little box as unrepairable. I have had a go at a few balance springs but with very limited success.
    Anyway, I'm having greater success generally and it is very rewarding!

Andy

Your questions are best dealt with in our amateur watchmaking forum. I'd suggest a visit there.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Excellent, thanks! I shall go and have a look there for the answers first.
    Andy

Thread Information