Opinion on Tudor - Page 3
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Opinion on Tudor

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Opinion on Tudor

I have a Tudor Heritage Black Bay Steel that I purchased last year. It's gorgeous, built like a tank, and the movement is stunningly accurate. There is still shared development, technology, history, etc, but Tudor is less Rolex's sub-brand now and more of their own entity. Tudor still needs to do more to refine their entire line-up, but many of their watches easily stand on their own in relation to other big names like Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Panerol Forte View Post
    Thank you for your feedback. I am usually attracted to unusual watches, that's what draw my attention to the Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue. Even though I am committed to other brands, I don't mind getting something "unusual" from time to time. That's why I wanted to know more about Tudor and specifically about this model. It won't be a daily wearer, but built quality is very important to me, especially when it comes to the bracelet and clasp.
    On that front, you wont have any complaints with Tudor. Their watches are very well made. And in all honesty, if i had bought the blue dial, i might not have sold it (this was early on in my collecting days, and i went for the deal instead of what i really wanted).

This line is getting long in the tooth though, and with the recent partnership with Breitling for use of their chrono movements, I do wonder if they are due for a revised, slightly slimmer chrono line, though.
    Panerol Forte likes this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 blue, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    I have a Tudor Heritage Black Bay Steel that I purchased last year. It's gorgeous, built like a tank, and the movement is stunningly accurate. There is still shared development, technology, history, etc, but Tudor is less Rolex's sub-brand now and more of their own entity. Tudor still needs to do more to refine their entire line-up, but many of their watches easily stand on their own in relation to other big names like Omega.
    +1, well-stated.

I bought a Heritage BB Blue a few weeks ago and literally have not taken it off my wrist. The watch checks the boxes that are important to me and is performing flawlessly. No negatives - zero. Unless something unexpected pops up (mechanically), this watch will probably replace everything else. Name/price recognition, cache', are not things that I prioritize - I just really like good, solid gear.
    ChronoB and Anglo Irish like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    At one time, Tudor watches were the poor man's Rolex. That is true. NO denying the fact since that was the founder's original intent.

But I think that since Tudor has moved away from cheap Rolex knock offs (i.e. using the Oyster case) and developing their own designs and movements, Tudor can stand proudly on its own. A Tudor is a thinking man's Rolex.

To answer all your questions, so many of them;
    (1) No, I don't associate Tudor with Rolex as I think it is unique in its design to stand alone;
    (2) I don't consider it a high end watch because it is cheap;
    (3) I dislike their dress watches which look stupid and can only bring myself to buy one of those Black Bay divers;

In conclusion, you should get out more often and go try on a new Tudor. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Disclaimer: This is in direct response to the OP. No offence meant to any other WUS members who may feel offended by my comments as my comments reflect my own opinion only and does not reflect the opinion of the WUS membership as a whole nor do the moderators or sponsors endorse anything I say - including Lady Gaga and David Beckham.
    I was in the camp that thinks: "Remind me why someone would buy a budget version of a status item?" I thought (maybe rightly in the past) that Tudor was just a Rolex for someone who couldn't afford a Rolex.

With the introduction of the Black Bay, Pelagos, and the highly polarizing North Flag, the brand has established its own design profile. IMHO, they are very well made, attractive, quality watches that compete well in their segment. If you like how it looks, the name on the dial won't detract from it.
    Humblebud likes this.
    Glycine F-104, Hamilton Khaki Aviation, 1950's Jules Jurgensen 14k Manual Wind, 1940's Longines 14k Fancy Lug Manual Wind, Orient Kamasu, Orient 1970's Automatic "TV Dial," Oris Williams F1 Team, Sea Gull Tonneau GMT, Seiko 5 SNKE51, Seiko Recraft SNKP25, Seiko 5 SNZH57, Simplify 2200 Series "The Penguin," 1978 Timex Automatic Chrome, Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 COSC, Vostok Amphibia 420 Bronze Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysandir View Post
    Once i understood what Tudor was, I perceived Tudor as the entry-level brand for the Wilsdorf Trust. I still do today.

Of course I associate Tudor with Rolex. How can one not? This isn't like Swatch or Richemont where existing companies merged or were acquired; Tudor and Rolex have been sister brands since Tudor's inception.

I do not consider Tudor to be a high-end brand. For that matter, I do not consider Rolex to be a high-end brand.

I don't really have an opinion on Tudor; I've never had the opportunity to handle one in the metal, and I've never felt a particular need to. If anything, I find that the arrow hour hand used on the Ranger really should replace the Snowflake hour hand, but that's just me.

Good luck getting unbiased opinions on a watch forum.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    +1. Growing up here in 'merica, I had never heard of Tudor until I entered middle-aged watch nerdery, i.e., a couple years ago. As things stand today, I think that they still benefit from a connection to Rolex & they are essentially taking over the tool watch pricepoints that Rolex has exited w/their steady march upscale since the 1980s.

The only Tudor I have is an old Tiger chrono & I got it because I was looking for a 40mm or smaller chrono that had a 12-hour bezel & good water resistance.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Re: THC Blue

Been wearing this a lot. I've had a Daytona and prefer this - but to be fair, I really need a date so that was driver. The THC does a good job with the date too - at the '6' so fits in well with the lumed indices and is approximately the same size as the shield at '12', so good symmetry. Also prefer the looks of a bi-compax layout b/c I think it makes the dial look cleaner and again, more symmetrical. I'm a bigger/taller guy so really like the 42mm size.

While the dial is a good looking dial, I do wish it had a little more "life" to it. IMO, if they had slightly raised the blue sub-register area with a corresponding drop (can't think of the proper term at the moment - too early in the morning) in the register dial it would have provided a little more 3D effect and would have provided "life" to the dial. But don't misunderstand me - I still like the dial.

I think it's got a lot of punch to do everything. Went to Europe last summer and it was very practical with the GMT bezel and the 150M water resistance for water activities - really pulled its weight duty-wise.

I'll try to post a pic shortly - the "attach pic" function doesn't seem to working at the moment

Got it -

Name:  fullsizeoutput_7f7.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  871.7 KB
    Panerol Forte and Weetabix like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    On that front, you wont have any complaints with Tudor. Their watches are very well made. And in all honesty, if i had bought the blue dial, i might not have sold it (this was early on in my collecting days, and i went for the deal instead of what i really wanted).

This line is getting long in the tooth though, and with the recent partnership with Breitling for use of their chrono movements, I do wonder if they are due for a revised, slightly slimmer chrono line, though.
    I noticed on their website that the movement is based on the Eta 2892 with a chronograph added to it. I know nothing about this movement, can you tell me if it's a reliable and fairely accurate movement?

My THC Blue is about +2/day

mav

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Wait til the Rolex fanboys arrive.
    Someone threw up the Rolex sign?

I like Tudor. There's no denying that they started out as the poor man's Rolex, Hans Wilsdorf stated that was his goal from the start, modern Tudor has come a long way revitalizing itself to becoming more than relevant again.

The BB 58 is a great watch, the best and purest modern version to its vintage predecessors. I miss mine and only sold it because I received an unsolicited offer that I couldn't say no to. Also love the Pelagos, its the best modern toolwatch coming out of Geneva, hands down; and yes, including Rolex. It's one that can give the Sub and SD a good run from a technical perspective.

Here's my fairly new to me, not so poor man's 1972 Tudor Sub 7016 that started out life as the poor man's Sub, but is valued more than my SubC now. Funny how that worked out.

Weetabix, Simon, TJ Boogie and 2 others like this.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information