Opinion on Tudor - Page 4
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Opinion on Tudor

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: Opinion on Tudor

I had a Black Bay Red way back when that was the only Black Bay there was. High quality build. The bracelet especially was as good as Rolex to the naked eye. Now with Tudor, you don't get the 916L grade of stainless steel, if you care about that.

Sold it. Why? I hate their crowns -- just a personal opinion, but it is a core, defining design element of the brand. Too bad, because I love a lot of the other design elements. Other thing I didn't care for was the thickness of the case, especially given that back then it was a modified ETA under the hood. But, again, nowadays, with their in-house movements, they have really stepped it up.

That heritage chrono looks cool -- I always thought so. It's not very versatile, but that seems like your thing. i *think* those still have the modified Vajoux movement that they had when they were first released. So, again, a high quality piece -- but the newer chronos with the in-house movement present an even higher quality. (Again, if you are into that sort of thing.)

So my opinion? Five years ago, it was a good quality brand. Now, with their new movements and models, it is an even higher quality brand? As good as their Rolex cousins? No Rolex fanboy here -- I hate 75% of their models. But their movements, steel, build is a few notches about Tudor.

If you're one of those people who doesn't give a s**t about movements and steel and branding, then wear what you dig.
    Main Rotation: ROLEX SubC 116610 / OMEGA Speedmaster 3750.50 / OMEGA Aqua Terra 2503.33 / HAMILTON Field Khaki
    Seiko: SRP775 Turtle Reissue / 6139-6002 "Pogue" (blue dial) / 6106 Sea Lion / Orange Monster
    Some Vintage: OMEGA 1959 cal. 500 Seamaster / LONGINES tank c. 1940s (currently on the wrist of my lady-friend)

By eck, you are going back in time if you remember when Tudor was called “the poor man’s Rolex”. That’s no longer true and they are two quite separate brands that IMO look nothing like each other.
    Simon and Anglo Irish like this.

I have a new BB Red Heritage and love it. It is a Rolex brother for sure.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet65 View Post
    I was in the camp that thinks: "Remind me why someone would buy a budget version of a status item?" I thought (maybe rightly in the past) that Tudor was just a Rolex for someone who couldn't afford a Rolex.

With the introduction of the Black Bay, Pelagos, and the highly polarizing North Flag, the brand has established its own design profile.
    I know right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Dogbert_is_fat; May 15th, 2019 at 21:30.
    Gunnar_917 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Panerol Forte View Post
    I am interested in this specific model.. never seen it in the flesh though. Any feedback or wrist shots?

Attachment 14149215
    I think that chrono is a Breitling B01 under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    I know right?

Nice Black Bay... someone got tired of this thread and fell asleep on his back... or maybe he is a Rolex fanboy; long haired huskies can be such snobs sometimes

I think that chrono is a Breitling B01 under the hood.
    On their website, they say it's an ETA 2892 with an added chronograph. I don't know anything about that movement, but someone that has this watch already mentioned that it was very accurate.

Here’s a link to a review of the BB GMT I owned (for about a month).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=626377

Tudor are a fine manufacturer of watches. There’s much about them to like — including (and especially) the snowflake hands. My issue with the watch was fit and case height, but I think other models don’t struggle here.

I’d happily own another if they did a thinner gmt (I am only interested in gmt complication watches) and really, really wanted to like the BB GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    Here’s a link to a review of the BB GMT I owned (for about a month).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=626377

Tudor are a fine manufacturer of watches. There’s much about them to like — including (and especially) the snowflake hands. My issue with the watch was fit and case height, but I think other models don’t struggle here.

I’d happily own another if they did a thinner gmt (I am only interested in gmt complication watches) and really, really wanted to like the BB GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a thorough review you did there. Thank you for the link.

At one time, Tudor watches were the poor man's Rolex. That is true. NO denying the fact since that was the founder's original intent.

But I think that since Tudor has moved away from cheap Rolex knock offs (i.e. using the Oyster case) and developing their own designs and movements, Tudor can stand proudly on its own. A Tudor is a thinking man's Rolex.

To answer all your questions, so many of them;
    (1) No, I don't associate Tudor with Rolex as I think it is unique in its design to stand alone;
    (2) I don't consider it a high end watch because it is cheap;
    (3) I dislike their dress watches which look stupid and can only bring myself to buy one of those Black Bay divers;

In conclusion, you should get out more often and go try on a new Tudor. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Disclaimer: This is in direct response to the OP. No offence meant to any other WUS members who may feel offended by my comments as my comments reflect my own opinion only and does not reflect the opinion of the WUS membership as a whole nor do the moderators or sponsors endorse anything I say - including Lady Gaga and David Beckham.
    Respect sir (saw some of your comments just a bit ago on the op/om thread too and my sentiment holds), now if a few posters from the recently locked oor thread that are not as civil/respectful as you can somehow manage to stay away, this one might have some legs . . .

OP, I do not like the snowflake hand, the only reason that I do not own a modern Tudor diver (my wife has an older mini sub), I've handled many Tudor models and while they are not quite on par quality wise with my Rolex watches (on purpose I think), no apologies need be made by them for price/product ratio now, would actually love to have one but doubt they will give up their sig hand just for me, sigh. . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Grand Seiko * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information