Opinion on Tudor
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Opinion on Tudor

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Opinion on Tudor

Hello to you all. First, I would like to say that I was hesitant to open this thread after what happened with the same Rolex thread, but I am sure that with Tudor, it will be different. The thing is that the only time I saw a Tudor in the flesh in an AD, it was in the 80s, and I was shocked how cheap it looked. I couldn't believe that Rolex could be behind a brand that manufactures watches that looked like Rolex knockoffs with folded links and gold plating. I was told at that time by many watch enthusiasts that they were poor people's Rolexes. Never gave them a second look. Fast forward 2019, by joining WUS, I noticed to my surprise that Tudor and Rolex share the same section. Not only that, but from the posted pictures, they seem to have evolved into high quality watches and grown their own personality. My questions are the following: How did you perceive Tudor before, and how do you perceive it today? Do you still associate Tudor with Rolex? Do you consider it a high end watch? What are your likes/dislikes about the brand? The reason I opened this thread in the public section is to get unbiased opinions. Thank you for your input.

Disclaimer: The purpose of this thread is for educational purpose only and not intended to create any kind of controversy.

Re: Opinion on Tudor

the right price is not cheap and inexpensive, David Beckham uses it

Just bought a Black Bay 41 and I’m extremely impressed with every aspect of it

Tudor is part of the Rolex group so there is an association but is a respected brand in its own right

A bit like asking if you associate Hamilton with Blancpain (or any other Swatch brand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ifanfos View Post
    the right price is not cheap and inexpensive, David Beckham uses it
    I think David Beckham was paid a large sum of money to be seen wearing it.

Rolex had folded end links until.. I don't know, well past 2000 anyway. Yeah, it looks a bit cheap, but people had different standards back then.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-John View Post
    Rolex had folded end links until.. I don't know, well past 2000 anyway. Yeah, it looks a bit cheap, but people had different standards back then.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    If I am not mistaking, Rolex's folded links stopped in the 60s... maybe someone could shime in and give us more precise dates.
    Rosarito likes this.

Another question, are they still using gold plating or shifted to solid gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Panerol Forte View Post
    <snip>
    ::
    My questions are the following: How did you perceive Tudor before, and how do you perceive it today? Do you still associate Tudor with Rolex? Do you consider it a high end watch? What are your likes/dislikes about the brand?
    At one time, Tudor watches were the poor man's Rolex. That is true. NO denying the fact since that was the founder's original intent.

But I think that since Tudor has moved away from cheap Rolex knock offs (i.e. using the Oyster case) and developing their own designs and movements, Tudor can stand proudly on its own. A Tudor is a thinking man's Rolex.

To answer all your questions, so many of them;
    (1) No, I don't associate Tudor with Rolex as I think it is unique in its design to stand alone;
    (2) I don't consider it a high end watch because it is cheap;
    (3) I dislike their dress watches which look stupid and can only bring myself to buy one of those Black Bay divers;

In conclusion, you should get out more often and go try on a new Tudor. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Disclaimer: This is in direct response to the OP. No offence meant to any other WUS members who may feel offended by my comments as my comments reflect my own opinion only and does not reflect the opinion of the WUS membership as a whole nor do the moderators or sponsors endorse anything I say - including Lady Gaga and David Beckham.

Quote Originally Posted by Panerol Forte View Post
    Another question, are they still using gold plating or shifted to solid gold?
    C'mon. You got to move with the times. It is now solid gold capping of approx. 0.75mm over stainless steel.

Modern rolexs dont really do anything for me in the looks department (at best). Tudor has some colors and design cues that are much more pleasing. And for instance the Pelagos is the only diver made by the group that doesnt look disgusting to me (if they made a smaller version my wallet would be at risk)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information