Opinions
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Opinions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions

Been hanging out at this forum for awhile, but joined up today. I'm going to get started on a watch collection and would like some opinions on brands to look at. I own a 1982 Heuer Professional (purchased new in Germany) and a Bell & Ross, and like brands that are a little less mainstream than Rolex, Omega, etc. Currently I'm looking at Ball, Bremont, and maybe a Panerai. I'd like opinions on these brands, as well as any other watches I should explore.

Thanks...

All three of those brands are well thought of by the people who own them. Two, Bremont and Panerai, have their own places on WUS (sub-fora?). Anyway, people like the brands. What type or style are you looking at? Pilot? Dive...?

My collection may be complete, but it is never completed

Collection: Rolex Submariner 116610; Seikos Orange Monster, Black Monster, 007 (X2) 009, SRPB53, SPB079, and SRP775; Hamiltons Khaki 42mm and Khaki King; Halios Laguna; 2012 WUS CMW Forum Dual Crown Project Watch; Invicta Pro Diver 8926OB; Casio Pathfinder PAG40; G-Shock GD350, GW7900B-1, DW9052-1BCG. GMW5610-1, DW5600, DW5600CMB-1, DW5900, GW-9400-1CR; Orients Star Classic and 2ER; Some other stuff.

Re: Opinions

Panerai have to be seen on the wrist and held in the hand to understand just how nicely made they are. I used to hate the look of them on the internet until I saw one in real life. And then I bought it!

I've never had a Bremont in my hand or on my wrist so I'm not qualified to comment

Ball do nothing for me.
    Last edited by GETS; December 26th, 2012 at 16:45.
    rics21 likes this.
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe – World Time Chronograph – 5930G-001
    Patek Philippe – Annual Calendar 5135G
    Patek Philippe – Aquanaut – 5167a-001
    Patek Philippe – Calatrava – 5196P
    A Lange & Sohne – Datograph
    Breguet – La Tradition - 7037BB/11/9V6
    Breguet – Type XXI Transatlantique Flyback
    Audemars Piguet – Royal Oak -15300
    Jaeger LeCoultre – Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface
    Breitling – Navitimer 46
    Breitling – Transocean Chronograph B01 Ltd Edition
    Rolex – Submariner No Date - 114060
    Zenith – El Primero – 30.0240.410
    Panerai – Luminor PAM 241
    IWC – Portuguese Chronograph
    Omega – Speedmaster (Sapphire Sandwich)
    Omega – Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 43
    Omega – Seamaster Planet Ocean
    Longines – Column Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograph 180th Anniversary Ltd Edition
    Longines – Master Retrograde Seconds
    Tudor – Heritage Black Bay 79220R Leather
    Meistersinger – Salthora Jumping Hours - SH908
    Tag Heuer – Monaco Calibre 11
    Tag Heuer – Aquaracer Two Tone Quartz

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Copperjohn, more interested in Pilot than Dive. I really like the clean look of the Bremont Solo white, nothing fancy just a clean design.

GETS, I'm pretty skinny and have tried a Panerai 44mm on, and to me it looks a little bulky. I need to look at a PAM048, which is 40mm, when I have time. I have always liked Panerai and of the opinion they are also a clean design.

Thanks for the replies, and keep'em coming...

What's your budget? Would you prefer to spend more or less? Panerai are more expensive and Ball less so; plenty of other pilot brands out there - zenith etc.

i will prefer Panerai. really looks great.
    prices are similar to Bremont.

ball tend to be much cheaper than the both.
    I like my money right where I can see it: strapped to my wrist.

Budget is from about $3000 to $6000, but to start probably on the lower end.

rics21, noticed you sold your Ball and wondering if something better came along or you were not happy with it?

Never held a bremont before so I cannot comment on its quality

As for Panerai,it's kinda like vegemite,either you like it or hate it,the price is quite expensive and some models have ETA movt,if you want smaller pam,I'd suggest you check 392 as an alternative to 48,It has P9000 in house movt (check the Pam subforum,there is a topic where poster asking for smaller models as well..)
    392 will cost you around 6500 us$ or slighly less when you go grey

Ball,on the other hand offer better value for money and tritium vial,but the watch dial seemed more complicated in comparison with Pam

Panerai are great watches looking solid watches, but they are uncomplicated for the price you way for the rock solid, yet not particularly uncommon movements (just a few are in-house). Personally, I would consider buying one because I like the style, but I would realize in doing so it is not great value for money.

Bremont is a brand on the rise in the eyes of many. Personally, Breomont's styles do not do anything for me. Also I think if spending this much money, one should get something of a heritage. Many would disagree on both counts.

Ball also does little for me. Many of their styles are unique, bold, and eye catching. Many also look fairly odd in my view. The cost is lower than Bremont and Panerai, but enough to prevent me from feeling like you're getting value for money. They also lack an iconic timepiece that I could get excited about.

If you can afford a Panerai, you really should also take a look at Jaeger LeCoultre. They have incredible looking timpieces and many think they represent the best value or among the best value for money out there.

If JLC is a bit out of reach, as previously mentioned, have you considered Zenith? It is off the radar of most, yet the El Primero is a legendary movement. Zenith also has a wide variety of styles to capture your interest. They also can be found heavily discounted on the grey market (try Ashford).
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

All those brands are well regarded here. obviously my recommendation goes to Panerai, but if your looking at something piloty you may be interested in checking out IWC. They may be too mainstream for you, but it'll be a rare occurrence for a random person to be able to identify one on your wrist.
    Last edited by Mr. Panerai; December 26th, 2012 at 19:11.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information