Opinions on a couple watch options
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Opinions on a couple watch options

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on a couple watch options

Hello everyone,

New to the forum but have silently read through posts during my research process on which watch to get. I recently decided to purchase a new watch to take some of the wear and tear off of my daily (and really only) watch, a vintage manual wind Omega De Ville and to have another option depending on my attire for the day.

I have looked a number of options from several watchmakers but have found myself liking the Baume et Mercier options below. I can get each for approx $1300 (USD), new. I was hoping to get some opinions on what people think in terms of styling (flexibility to be worn in a business or casual environment), general looks, or experience with the watches themselves. Also, would these be considered a good deal at this price?

Thanks!

Classima Chronograph (Model 8589)

Capeland Chronograph (Model 10082)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Opinions on a couple watch options

Not an expert on pricing for B&M (besides that they are relatively heavily discounted at grey market dealers, which is good), but $1300 sounds good.
    As far as styling, that is highly subjective: what it matters is that you like them. Personally, of the two choices, I prefer the black dialed one - way more versatile than the other one, IMO - and I also think that the Capeland is a little too busy and that the red telemeter scale doesn't jive very well with the rest.

PS: where are my manners? Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Legion681; October 1st, 2015 at 00:42.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Quote Originally Posted by Legion681 View Post
    Not an expert on pricing for B&M (besides that they are relatively heavily discounted at grey market dealers, which is good), but $1300 sounds good.
    As far as styling, that is highly subjective: what it matters is that you like them. Personally, of the two choices, I prefer the black dialed one - way more versatile than the other one, IMO - and I also think that the Capeland is a little too busy and that the red telemeter scale doesn't jive very well with the rest.

PS: where are my manners? Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you for the welcome and your response! I do like both watches, but your point on versatility is very helpful. I am trying to visualize which watch would work best in a variety of settings, e.g. casual with jeans, normal workday in business casual, formal workday in suit, etc.

As far as pricing goes, the $1300 would be for grey market pricing, compared to retail of $3150 for the black faced Classima and $4350 for the Capeland.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think both a Telemeter and a Tachymeter is overkill - and that dial proves it.
    I think the Classima is more versatile but couldn't you find something with better hand/dial contrast that you like?

As for prices, if you can find it in a number of place on the internet then that IS the price they sell for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I think both a Telemeter and a Tachymeter is overkill - and that dial proves it.
    I think the Classima is more versatile but couldn't you find something with better hand/dial contrast that you like?

As for prices, if you can find it in a number of place on the internet then that IS the price they sell for.
    Thanks for your response. Now that you mention the contrast, I'm not sure why that picture (google image search) has the hand so washed out against the dial. Several other pictures show it more like this:

I like the Capeland better. The Capeland has a bracelet version that cost only a little more and can be changed out to straps easily.

Price seems really good. I like the Classima. A co-worker has one and it's really well made.

Sent from my [redacted] using Tapatalk
    ...sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there....

I like the Capeland & Clifton models with the blue dial, much better hr marker/hand to dial contrast.
    ajbutler13 likes this.

Out of the two i would get the Classima. The dial design is cleaner so it would work nicer as a dressier watch. I've handled B&M and can tell you that their built quality is very good.

The Classima is not only gorgeous, but a little different. Different is good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information