Opinions, Ideas, Theories
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Opinions, Ideas, Theories

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions, Ideas, Theories

Hi,

I just wanted to get some opinions, ideas, thoeries on this. When I was a kid whenever my dad gave my a couple of bucks he would say, "now don't spend it all in one place." With a budget of about 10 grand give or take, should I go out and actually spend it all in one place on just one watch like say a Zenith, IWC or should I get a few like a Breitling, Omega, and Ball. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Re: Opinions, Ideas, Theories

It really, really depends on your circumstances, passions and current collection. If your most expensive watch is $500 and you think you'd be happy with an Omega for, say, $4k then do NOT spend it all on one watch, no. Don't spend it on multiple ones at the same time either - WIS, by nature, need new things every x months so string them out - your tastes will change with each purchase too.

But if you have a bunch of more expensive watches and want something different and you can afford it then sure - get a Zenith.

I guess it would depend a lot on your lifestyle and preferences? Could you wear one style of watch 24/7/365 during every activity you do? For me, I would need one true dress, and one true sports watch. Some styles could of course be both, but for myself, I can't imagine having just one watch.

~Sherry.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by coali View Post
    Hi,

I just wanted to get some opinions, ideas, thoeries on this. When I was a kid whenever my dad gave my a couple of bucks he would say, "now don't spend it all in one place." With a budget of about 10 grand give or take, should I go out and actually spend it all in one place on just one watch like say a Zenith, IWC or should I get a few like a Breitling, Omega, and Ball. Any feedback is much appreciated.
    With $10,000 you could get a Zenith, IWC and probably one of the other models you mentioned depending on which ones you choose.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coali View Post
    Hi,

You should put your watches in your Signature, so we know what you have.
    Personally, I would buy just one High End watch, instead of a bunch of cheapos.

Of course, the Ultimate buys are one Rolex, a couple of Movado's, and one Invicta from the remaining change!
    Last edited by Janne; April 19th, 2012 at 00:09.

Take your time, do your research, try 'em all on and see what speaks to you. Once you set your budget-cap, price only becomes a limitation guide. If the watch that speaks to you costs $2500, then buy that watch and be satisfied knowing the next time a watch speaks to you, you have $7500 to play with. At the end of the day, buy what you like and you will be satisfied.
    Doboji likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    You should put your watches in your Signature, so we know what you have.
    Personally, I would buy just one High End watch, instead of a bunch of cheapos.

Of course, the Ultimate buys are one Rolex, a couple of Movado's, and one Invicta from the remaining change!
    That's just my point. With $10,000 he could get the 36,000 VPH El Primero and an say an IWC Aquatimer. With that kind of dough his choice isn't just between a Portofino Hand Wound or a bunch of Hamiltons and Seikos (I know, I know: GS/Spring Drive/Credor...). There's some middle ground where some very fine watches live. Heck even with the IWC Hand Wound he'd probably still have enough left over for a brand new Ball.
    Last edited by ljb187; April 19th, 2012 at 00:56.

My dad always says, "Don't spend it all in one place … or do."

Personally, I think you might be going about this backwards as you don't have an idea as to what you want. First you like the watch, then you find out if you can afford it; if not you save up to it, or compromise on one or more affordable models depending on your level of comfort.

Just my $.02 of course, but this makes more sense to me.

Cheers,
    Andres

Figure out what type of watch you're looking for and buy the best watch the 10Gs can get you in that category. Quality will always win out over quantity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information