WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Opinions needed...

465 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Amateur Hour 
#1 ·
Good morning all,

I am in the midst of a dilemma and I'd like some input from the members here. My 30th birthday is coming up and I would like to treat myself for said birthday as well as for receiving a promotion at work, and for my 5 year wedding anniversary - at least that's how I'm justifying this.

To that end, I am torn between the iwc Portuguese auto 5001-07 and the submariner no date 114060. It is worthwhile to note that I currently have an omega planet ocean xl 2500 on bracelet - a watch I will not part with.

That being said, I am looking to add to the collection. Originally, I was all for the 5001 as it was light faced, on leather, and dressier than my current PO. It's a stunning watch in every aspect. On the other hand, I find myself drawn more and more to the sub no date. It would be a first rolex, timeless design, maintains value relatively well, etc.

My question for you all is where you would go? I am concerned about favoring one diver over the other if I get the sub and keep the PO. Simultaneously, adding my first rolex would certainly mark a special occasion and would love to own one.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would choose Rolex...But I love Rolex, some would say I'm a "fan boy"
So not true, just a guy who recognizes the quality...And you asked about which
one of two. Of your two, Rolex.

#3 ·
I will also state that I wear suits to work Monday through Friday. For what it's worth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I will also state that I wear suits to work Monday through Friday. For what it's worth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh well...Have you thought about a Date Just? That is a perfect all around watch.
Monday - Friday suiter and water proof to boot and a Rolex.

Reactions: Donf
#6 ·
I would, actually did (14060M), get the Sub. It is utterly timeless and one of the better sports watches for use with a suit (which seems to be something that you are comfortable doing).

#8 ·
Since you only mentioned the PO, I assume that that is your only "good watch" and I would agree with those who say a PO and a Sub are redundant. Particularly since you wear a suit 5 days/week. Of your two, the IWC. But a nice DJ would scratch the rolex itch and be an excellent work watch. Just don't get a champagne dial with batons and a fluted bezel on a Jubilee - too many of those out there. Look at a white dial with Romans and a plain bezel on a strap. Whole 'nother watch!

#10 ·
Bumping this up again as I continue to wrestle with my decision....

Thanks for everyone's input thus far...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.