Opinions on Nomos Ahoi Atlanyic- date version
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Opinions on Nomos Ahoi Atlanyic- date version

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on Nomos Ahoi Atlanyic- date version

Thinking of the above mentioned watch...
    anyone own one? How u liking It?
    how is the brand and build quality overall?

Pricing seems kind of steep for a "micro" brand, but this watch is so sexy. Thoughts?

Btw. What is their "swing system"?

Link to watch---> https://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch...82bf04a8075508

Re: Opinions on Nomos Ahoi Atlanyic- date version

Nomos isn’t a micro brand by any stretch of the imagination. I was at a Glashütte Original boutique the other day and asked about Nomos, with both brands being based in the same town. Apparently, the watchmakers in Nomos come out from the prestigious Alfred Helwig Watchmaking School owned by Glashütte Original. That’s as much connection as they both have.
    Their designs are Bauhaus inspired, marked by an elegant beauty. And they are a steal considering that their watches contain mostly in-house movements.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Overwound and John Price like this.

They are a very nice watch with in-house manufactured movements.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nomos is a well established and high quality brand. Their styling is unique, if not repetitive throughout their line. Some models are a great value (Club handwound) while others are a bit rich for their specifications (in my mind, especially when there is a high price premium for a dial color).
    Nomos also seems to have pretty good control over distribution and keep their prices stable in the retail market.

That said, I would not spend $5000CAD on that watch. It's a great watch, but a little too idiosyncratic, especially the lug design. You really have to go see one in person and put it on your wrist to know if the Nomos design works for you.

Swing system is part of their proprietary movement design. I have yet to hear any complaints about their movements, so they are doing something right in-house.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

i don't have a Nomos, so my opinion is strictly about the looks.

i think that's a beautiful watch, though i reckon i'd like the no-date one better. i also reckon it would not be the first Nomos i'd get, given that i'm drawn to everyday type watches, and the unique colors here might hinder that.

still, if i were to allow myself to have 20 watches, this watch would probably be in there.

Wished that there was a bouique locally that I can go and check out.

IMO its a typical Nomos watch with greater water resistance. If you like the Nomos design language and just want the peace of mind of better water resistance, then this one seems like a no-brainer. But honestly, as a dive watch, it really doesn't make any sense since there is no timer functionality, not that anyone uses a dive watch as their primary device to time dives anymore. But its a great design if its what you like, I just think you're paying a premium for extra water resistance on a watch that doesn't really need it based on its design. I'd go with one of their other watches personally.

Nomos are nice watches
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by impreziv View Post
    Thinking of the above mentioned watch...
    anyone own one? How u liking It?
    how is the brand and build quality overall?
    You might be better off to search on our German Watches Forum. Just saying.

Pricing seems kind of steep for a "micro" brand, but this watch is so sexy. Thoughts?
    You must have a significant different definition of what makes a micro brand. Imho Nomos is not.

Some facts and figures about NOMOS I gathered and posted in 2016.

1. The company

NOMOS Glashütte was founded in 1990 by Roland Schwertner. Today, the watchmaking company belongs to five partners—with four of them working there. NOMOS Glashütte is therefore independent and not part of any conglomerate.
    NOMOS Glashütte currently has a staff of 250 employees. The great majority of them, around 220, work in Glashütte—including the company’s own department for research and development. This department is responsible not only for the development of calibers but also for their extreme production depth. Furthermore, it can take credit for several patents.
    Over 30 employees work for the subsidiaries NOMOS Glashuette USA in New York and the in-house creative agency Berlinerblau in Berlin, which is responsible for branding, design- ing watches, and everything else that goes with it.

2. The calibers of the watchmaking company

NOMOS Glashütte is the watchmaking company that makes everything in-house. All ten calibers are proprietary and produced on-site in Glashütte. This is exceptional in the watchmaking industry. Thus, NOMOS Glashütte can ascertain the quality of its calibers.
    NOMOS Glashütte crafts its own timepieces without external know-how and with a propri- etary escapement, the NOMOS swing system. This makes the company technologically independent. Only a few producers in the whole world are at all capable of independently producing this vital component of a mechanical watch movement. In the future, all NOMOS calibers will be equipped with this system.

A true innovation in the market is the new and extremely thin automatic caliber DUW 3001. This movement ticks in the neomatik series—and sets a new standard in watch- making. Automatic movements by other producers are considerably larger, less precise, or markedly more expensive. This is due to the fact that they cannot be produced in series. With DUW 3001, NOMOS Glashütte can grow further: In the future, automatic timepieces will make up the larger part of the production.

3. The watch collection

The NOMOS Glashütte collection consists of twelve model families with around 80 watch versions; mechanical timepieces in the price range of 1,000 to 4,000 euros. The two haute horlogerie models in 18-karat rose or white gold, Lambda and Lux, are the icing on the cake at NOMOS Glashütte. Only three of these timepieces are crafted a week; they cost between 12,800 and 15,800 euros. Most NOMOS watches, however, are made from stainless steel and retail for under 4,000 euros. Whether in gold or in steel: All timepieces from NOMOS Glashütte represent outstanding watchmaking craft, top quality materials, modern design, and excellent value-for-money.

4. Prizes and awards

NOMOS Glashütte is a member of the Deutscher Werkbund, the precursor to both Bau- haus and the Ulm School. Straightforward German product design with a dash of Berlin: Renowned designers such as Werner Aisslinger, Mark Braun, and Axel Kufus work along- side young creatives on the best timepieces. Their work has been recognized with over 130 international prizes and awards—including the iF Product Design Award, Red Dot, and the Good Design Award, each multiple times.
    They just raked another iF award.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/once...e-4628351.html

5. Steady growth

The demand for NOMOS watches is growing constantly—counter to the industry trend. In 2015, the watchmaking company grew once again by around 30 percent. Today, NOMOS Glashütte is the largest producer in Germany—no other brand builds more mechanical watches. In the price range of 1,000 to 4,000 euros, NOMOS Glashütte is also the market leader in mechanical watch sales.
    The company is also experiencing steadily growing demand internationally. NOMOS Glashütte, which exports to over 40 countries worldwide, is currently concentrating on rapidly expanding its US business. More employees are joining the company both in North America and in Europe. The aim for the company is to continue its twofold growth in size every three years, and for the brand to gain more recognition. CEO Uwe Ahrendt:
    “A watchmaking company that places craftsmanship and quality above all else cannot grow any faster.”

In 2017 Nomos added a new plant to their premises.

Name:  BD36C994-F95A-45CC-9723-85516891E3CA.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  134.9 KB

A micro brand ? Geez, no.

Btw. What is their "swing system"?
    My take their „swing system“ does not differ that much from other escapements. It is a Nomos escapement though. The big difference is that all parts are made inhouse at the Nomos premises to make Nomos independent from Swatch Group.

So, what NOMOS manifested its independence from Nivarox/Swatch Geoup in the first place. And to quote Mr. Schwertner: “The hardest part is not to make a spring, but to make the whole system work together.” So, they did not optimize an existing swiss system they constructed a completely new one and that's why Nomos needed the technical expertise of the Dresden University to get the system work together flawlessly; the spring has always been a Made in Germany product and still is, made by Carl Haas.
    The precision and the speed of movement, behavior, and thus the whole movement depends crucially on the new components. The technical specs may differ but not the technique as such.

There has been much more posted on WUS regarding the Swing System, just do a search, especially on the German Watches Forum, as already hinted.
    maylebox, John Price and Karlisnet like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by impreziv View Post
    Wished that there was a bouique locally that I can go and check out.
    Nomos web site says

Roldorf & Co.
    Retail Unit 203 (Lower Level)
    555 Burrard Street
    BC V7X 1S1 Vancouver
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information