Opinions on size
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Opinions on size

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on size

Hi guys,

I was trying on a watch that I really like. The watch itself is 42mm but the lugs are pretty big, I have a fairly small wrist. Wanted to get some WIS opinions on how it looks. Keep in mind this is a brand new watch so the leather strap was very stiff and therefore wasn't hugging the wrist well. To me it is seems a little on a bigger side but still fits the wrist.

Name:  WP_20140516_011.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  WP_20140516_001.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  WP_20140516_006.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  51.1 KB
    Last edited by borasar; May 17th, 2014 at 15:39.

Re: Opinions on size

I really don't think it matters too much all this wrist size vs watch. If you feel confident wearing it, I'd go with whatever makes you happy.

I've found that pictures don't usually tell the "size" story very well....angles and all that. When I post a wrist shot of one of mine on the WRUW threads, my watches always look larger in the pics than I observe them in reality.

If it looks good to you....make it so. Nice watch too BTW!
    ilitig8 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How does it feel when you have the watch on? Do the lugs seem to conform well to your wrist? Does the watch stay in the right place without overtightening the strap? When you look down at the watch do you get a good feeling or are you wondering if it's the right decision?

I have two 40mm watches that feel completely different on the wrist because of the lug design. One fits the other does not. So I would argue that the 42mm diameter is all but irrelevant by itself when determining if the watch fits. It is a good looking watch by the way.
    Last edited by John MS; May 17th, 2014 at 17:00.

It looks ok on your wrist. For dressy watches, under 40mm is better imo

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
    Ball, Breitling, Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer and Titoni

For me personally, as long as the lugs don't hang over my wrist, I feel it's not too large. I would also go a little smaller for something that I will be wearing with a long-sleeved shirt.

That's a beautiful watch, BTW.
    Last edited by frogger17; May 17th, 2014 at 18:16.

As others have said - how the watch really looks is going to depend on several factors. In my mind, two important things are the clothing and the context.

As a dressier looking watch (versus, say, a dive watch) that watch looks too big on your wrist to my eye. The reality is that I can't tell what it looks like because it is a way zoomed up image and I can't see what the rest of you looks like. Maybe it is too big to wear with a suit when you go sign an international treaty but would look just fine in a more casual environment with more casual clothes. I also figure that you won't be wearing it like some sort of wrist-attached exercise weight. Rather, your shirt (and jacket? Sweater? Space Suit? Suit of armor?) sleeves will add some bulk to your arm and smooth the presence of the watch.

Best of luck - it's a beautiful watch.

I personally would find that a bit larger and possibly uncomfortable given there's no question the first thing you're going to bump into will be your watch and not your skin (which heals itself). But taste and style and all that stuff is all in the owner of the watch.

Lots of good replies, so far. I'd like to add that the watch does look pretty big in the pictures, but when I try to look at my watches, on the wrist, I get the same look. A better perspective is to look at your watch in a full length or almost full length mirror. That's what others will see. Another thing that matters to me when judging how a watch looks is the height of the watch. If this watch is 10-12mm thick it's a big help, as opposed to 15+mm thick.

A better perspective is to look at your watch in a full length or almost full length mirror.
    Good suggestion. That is what works best for me too for perspective.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information