Opinions on U-Boat
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Opinions on U-Boat

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Opinions on U-Boat

I'm fairly new to the forum and horology. I am looking to buy a watch that is more upscale than my usual $20 Walmart cheapies. I've saved $1K+ so far to spend and because it's such a big purchase to me, I've spent months and months carefully combing through many different watches to find one that I want. I've done tons of research and have a reasonable idea of what WIS standards are. Early on, I was looking at Invicta (I know it's a cuss word to many) for the large, chunky, bold styling, but quickly learned it's more marketing hype than anything, and low quality. I was looking at Tissot, but one I wanted was discontinued a couple years ago. I stumbled onto U-Boat who has a similar large, chunky style that I like. I'm curious what the general consensus is on U-Boat. I've read a little bit of disdain for them, again highlighting alleged marketing hype like Invicta. But nobody else seems to push the large, chunky style though. If U-Boat is a reasonable product, I may just continue saving $$$ to buy one of their lower end pieces. If not, then I'll hunt elsewhere.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    M Ridzon

Re: Opinions on U-Boat

Quote Originally Posted by m_ridzon View Post
    I'm curious what the general consensus is on U-Boat. I've read a little bit of disdain for them, again highlighting alleged marketing hype like Invicta. But nobody else seems to push the large, chunky style though. If U-Boat is a reasonable product, I may just continue saving $$$ to buy one of their lower end pieces. If not, then I'll hunt elsewhere.

What are your thoughts?
    The general consensus here is "big, ugly, overpriced". But if that big and.. umm, special design is what attracts you, they are pretty unique and there's no real reason to stay away. Except for the price, of course.

I can't speak to the quality because I don't own any, but I personally do not like the style or large watches in general. That said, it is your watch not mine so the only opinion that matters is yours, you have to wear it every day, not me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    m_ridzon likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Buy what you like, wear what you like.

It's that simple.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    m_ridzon and bv8ma like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

I can relate to your situation. Congrats on saving up that much! Their r A LOT of great choices in ur price range. My collection consists of a victoronix dive master 500 mecha, a steinhart ocean 1, and an eco drive citizen radio controlled quartz. All $430 and under. I saved up for 2-3 months to purchase my first nice watch. And expensive watch for myself. I did a lot of research on here and in general and stumbled upon the oris aquis. I had about half saved up when I decided on this one. So I had a goal of what to shoot for. It’s not as big as what ur looking at but I just ordered the 43.5 mm one last night. Chunky bracelet. Idk about the quality of the uboat, but if u find out its good quality and gets good reviews, and u like the design, idk y it wouldn’t be a good buy. I do encourage u to do research on the $1500 dollar and down range of Swiss watches. Also great brands like cristopher ward and many other micro brands that would be a good choice. Again, it may be hard to find that type of u boat design, but don’t forget about Swiss in ur price range! Ha. Congrats on ur future purchase!!
    m_ridzon likes this.

Go for what you like. In my opinion, U-Boat is probably more overpriced than Invicta if you're looking for something big and wild looking. I have owned a few Invictas on the more conservative end of their range and the quality is fine for the price. I am less familiar with U-Boat, but they use basic off the shelf movements, same as you get in many watches for a quarter of the price.
    m_ridzon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Howbouthemcwbys View Post
    Their r A LOT of great choices in ur price range
    It’s not as big as what ur looking at
    and u like the design, idk y it wouldn’t be a good buy. I do encourage u to do research
    don’t forget about Swiss in ur price range! Ha. Congrats on ur future purchase!!
    You know all those precious seconds you save by typing 'ur' instead of 'your', and so on?

Everyone who reads your post has to spend all those seconds, twice over, decyphering what you've written.

Just sayin.

English is becoming a forgotten language... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan T. and tylervanwormer like this.

As per the discussion, I own a few U-Boat watches and can say you get what you pay for. They are nice watches but is always better out there. They suit me better because I have overly large hands and arms, so a “big, chunky” watch actually looks good. But don’t go for the price, go with what you like and you think looks good on you. After all it is jewelry...

I personally loved them a few years ago. For me, they seem to have dated a little in style though.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information