Opinions on vintage movado defy

Thread: Opinions on vintage movado defy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on vintage movado defy

Hi. I was looking for opinions on my vintage Movado Defy. All of my searches come up with similar looking zenith watches instead. One statement i read was that these were a prototype to the zenith model, which came out later on? Would also like to know what it might be worth. I apologize for the webcam pic. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Opinions on vintage movado defy

Looks like an early 1970s model. Sorry we do not give valuations in this forum as we cannot assess the condition of any watch from Internet pictures.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Same movement ?

Name:  317415d1319371650-vintag-movado-zenith-defy-kaliber-2572pc-dsc_5378.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  198.3 KB
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for more opinions on it though. Its in good working condition. Been sitting in a trunk for 20 years so a bit dirty. Other than that, good condition aside from minor cosmetic scratches.

Just looking for a ballpark as i do not want to make a mistake and sell it too low. local jeweler and watch repair guy doesnt have a clue.

Is there another site or a subforum here that could help with discovering the value?

I can post better pictures upon request, if needed. Thanks
    Last edited by Gearson; December 13th, 2011 at 23:00.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

We do not give evaluations here on WUS. If you want to know more about that please feel free to read the sticky on our Vintage & Pocket Warches Forum. Check ebay for references.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

At the time the watch was produced Movado and Zenith were part of the same company. It is common to see similar models with the same model name, case, dial and just different branding on different parts of the watch. Zenith crowns were found on Movado watches and Movado marked movements have been found in Zenith watches.

The value of Movados is less than their Zenith counterparts as the brand never achieved the cachet of Zenith. An Ebay completed auction search on Zenith Defy should give you a good idea of value. Values for Defy's themselves vary widely as different designs are preferred over others. You should find some that look like yours.

Thanks guys, but ebay has yielded me zero info on this particular watch. (hs 288 w/ red dial, sub sea, Defy) That is why i registered here at this site to post my question.

I guess i'll keep looking though. The only image of the watch i have come up with is this link below. No details on value though.

Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!

So i guess Zenith would be the closest match for value even though this movado is the prototype for the zenith?

Here's your comparables.

zenith defy | eBay

The one sold listing is what I'd expect a Zenith Defy to go for. The Movado's typically go for less.

I've seen Movado Defy's before and seriously doubt that any Movado Defy was a prototype for a Zenith Defy. The Defy line was a Zenith line of watches, excepting the Defy's made when Movado and Zenith were under common ownership.

Here's what's currently for sale on Ebay. Includes a Zenith Defy just like yours. Watch the listings and see if they sell. Virtually everyone listed is priced way high in my opinion.

zenith defy | eBay

Compare these to the sold listings and you'll see some are old listings which have failed to sell in the past.

Nice looking funky 1970's Movado watch. Love that bracelet. Chances are it uses the well regarded Zenith 2572 PC movement. Below is a link to some technical information from the Ranfft website. Zenith and Movado Defy models come up regularly for sale so market value will be impacted by supply. At one time either Zenith or Movado may have put out the first Defy model or they may have jointly produced the fist one. Unless you have some solid manufacturers information tying your specific model to the first production don't count it as adding to value. Condition is all important when valuing a vintage watch so be sure to make an honest evaluation before trying to make a comparison to closed auctions on Ebay. Be sure to use realized and not listing prices.

If you plan on keeping and using the watch the movement should be serviced before running it. Any remaining oil is likely so thick it is doing little lubrication after 20 years.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Zenith 2572PC
    Last edited by John MS; December 14th, 2011 at 03:39.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information