Optimal Size of Watches in a Collection
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Optimal Size of Watches in a Collection

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I hope I am not the only one but over the years of watch collecting, I’ve come to realize that the larger my collection becomes, the less and less I enjoy my watches. I struggle to decide what watches to wear in the morning, anxious all the time about wrist time allocation, making sure I check off all the boxes in a collection (eg dicer, dress, Chrono, vintage, birthyear, etc) and the potential high cost of service which detracts from the overall enjoyment of owning watches. I am in the process of slimming down my collection and focusing more on quality over quantity and stop worrying about what others think... and it is very liberating.

Any one else feel the same? What do you think the optimal number of watches are to you?

Re: Optimal Size of Watches in a Collection

You have made your hobby very complicated by concerning yourself with the likes of check boxes and the opinions of strangers.

There is but one criterion for a watch to satisfy for inclusion in my watch box - do I love it (not just like it, LOVE it)? I have ten watches with no plans to increase that number for the moment and not a chrono, diver, vintage, super complicated, birthyear, potential heirloom, new job, retirement, wedding, new child or other significant anniversary etc. etc. among them. All are worn though some, admittedly, more than others. It is my collection and the opinions of others are, frankly, quite irrelevant.

Good luck with your downsizing and the rediscovery of joy in your hobby!
    G550 (retd.)

If you just google your topic (or something closely related) and add "site:watchuseek.com" to the search string (meaning e.g. "Optimal Number of Watches in a Collection site:watchuseek.com"), you'll find plenty of threads already covering this topic. Here are just some..

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/wha...ze-927714.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/how-...u-4582415.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/wha...on-592953.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/how...y-3135114.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/do-w...s-4645367.html

Edit: Add "/f2" after "watchuseek.com" if you want to limit your search to the public forum only. Some of the threads above are from f74, and re might be a different outcome there (could be interesting to compare, though ).
    brandon\ likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't like to have stuff laying around that doesn't get used, so I keep my collection pretty trim and don't see it ever growing.

I have 5. One is an antique pocket watch that's been in my family for generations. Doesn't really get used (I wind it up and let it run every so often), but that one stays for sentimental reasons.

Of the 4 wristwatches, I have a diver, I have a "dressy" GADA, I have a quartz grab-n-go (also my Chrono), and a field watch. The field watch is probably going to be sold soon because I never wear it anymore (partly because it wears a bit large for my current tastes). I primarily alternate between the diver and the GADA, with the diver getting the majority of wrist time. I don't really see my collection growing beyond it's current size. May go smaller, as I'm not sure I'll replace the field watch with something else when it's gone.
    mrandersen10 likes this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

I guess I should clarify myself. When I said I like to make sure I check off all the boxes, I do not buy watches simply to check off all the boxes. Rather, I like the watches I buy but I am conscious of too much duplication of a single purpose/type of watch (e.g. 3 no date divers). Also, when I meant the opinion of others, I do not mean strangers. Rather, I was referring to friends & family that are in and not into the hobby.

I hope I didn't come across as being too mopey about my watches, I still love them and enjoy them! I just think sometimes the stress of having too many great watches outweighs the pure enjoyment from each one of them, at least to me. I am in the process of slimming down to 3 or 4 great ones.

Currently, I have:

- Rolex Datejust 16030
    - Rolex Explorer 14270
    - Noms Ahoi
    - Nomos Worldtimer
    - Tudor Black Bay Heritage Chrono
    - Seiko Turtle 6309
    - Seiko MM300

Slimming from the above is going to be a tough task!

I definitely agree with this. I think having too many watches is somewhat of a waste - you can never wear them all! I absolutely respect those who have larger collections, but it's just not my thing personally.

In my mind, 4 is the sweet spot. 1 "beater" and 3 luxury pieces. That gives you some variety, but not so much that they don't all get wrist time.

I have 2 of my permanent 4 already in the Tag Aquaracer and Rolex Explorer in my signature. I love the Turtle too, but it's cheap enough that I'm not concerned if it sits. That leaves me 2 spots in my collection for whatever else I end up picking.
    Current: Montblanc Heritage Chronometrie || Hamilton Khaki King

Agreed. I think 4-5 is my sweet spot. The biggest angst I have with a large collection is devoting enough wrist time to each.

Do you have any 1 in 1 out rule?

If I discovered a forgotten watch in the collection that would tell me it was time to consider shrinking.
    Rdenney and whoischich like this.

Optimal Size of Watches in a Collection

Quote Originally Posted by willing86 View Post
    I struggle to decide what watches to wear in the morning, anxious all the time about wrist time allocation

Any one else feel the same? What do you think the optimal number of watches are to you?
    I have never felt anxious about watches. I wouldn’t mind scaling down though. Of the 40 or so watches that I have I only wear about 12 of them regularly.

You don't want too big of a collection. It makes it very difficult to choose which watch to keep if you could only own 1 for the rest of your life.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information