Orbiting spring bars
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By brandon\
  • 2 Post By Bradjhomes
  • 1 Post By gangrel

Thread: Orbiting spring bars

Question Orbiting spring bars

Having sent my share of spring bars into the Strastophere (they must be orbiting planet earth, because they are no where to be found in my house), I am wondering why more watches don't come with quick release bands. Is it a Macho thing to have to futz with them? Many of the "fashion" watches (shudder) come with them, so I am guessing the production technology is not that difficult or expensive. If given the choice between two identical bands, I would definitely pay extra for a quick release band. Anyone else with me on this?
    No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow. Mad Hatter Alice in Wonderland

Re: Orbiting spring bars

I've had more than a few spring bars catapult themselves across the stratosphere of my bedroom, but I'm still not sold on quick-release spring bars. I've had a few straps with them, and it didn't take much effort to release them and that didn't give me much confidence in them.

In addition, I've had some straps come with some really crappy spring bars that were replaced ad thrown out right away. If a strap comes with quick release spring bars that suck or if one of them fails, can they be replaced?

Overall, I don't think standard spring bars are a big deal. Yeah, they can be fussy from time-to-time, but they work well and hold securely. Hell, I don't even mind Seiko's pin and collar system on some of their bracelets - I have that system down pretty well, so spring bars are no sweat.
    kefirchick likes this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Well, it's not really the watches that don't come with them, but the bands/straps.

The main drawback (apart from natos and bracelets not being able to have them) is that the life of a spring bar can be less than that of the strap. I don't want to have to buy a new £30 strap every time a £1 spring bar fails. It doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen.
    kefirchick and brandon\ like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Otto Frei carries quick release spring bars. They are notably more expensive; he's charging $5/pair, about 2-3x the price of his best standard ones, but that's a lot better than a new strap.
    kefirchick likes this.

Thanks everyone for the input. I do always wiggle the band to make sure the pins are firmly in the holes, and have not had experience with bad pins. However I have only been switching out straps for a year or so, so I guess I have been coasting on lucky pin sampling. I will check out Otto Frei-sounds like it may be a good idea to have some extras on hand. I didn't even know you could buy quick release spring bars. I learn so much on this forum!
    No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow. Mad Hatter Alice in Wonderland

I have watches with spring bars and with screw pins and as a compulsive strap changer my favorite attachment system is still spring bars with drilled lugs. I've never broken a spring bar, and when I was a kid I used to carry groceries in from the car by hanging the bags off of my $30 Timex.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

All you need to make this work for any leather 2 piece strap is quick release spring bars and a Bergeon 30227 to cut the hole. The 30227 runs about $400 and I have not seen a Chinese knockoff version of it like most other tools.

Name:  30227.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  40.3 KB
    Last edited by ilitig8; December 29th, 2015 at 07:24.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Otto Frei carries quick release spring bars. They are notably more expensive; he's charging $5/pair, about 2-3x the price of his best standard ones, but that's a lot better than a new strap.
    I wonder how hard it is to cram a quick release bar into the band?

You can go to Otto Frei and buy a hobby sized case with assorted sizes of spring bars in it. Never hurts to have some spares around. jmho
    Kevin

Thread Information