Ordered Vostok Black Ministry Scuba Dude
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ordered Vostok Black Ministry Scuba Dude

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ordered Vostok Black Ministry Scuba Dude

Well, after HOURS of reading posts about afordable interesting watches I just pulled the trigger. Now to wait... come on Victor!

From his Ebay listing:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Camguy and hayday like this.

Re: Ordered Vostok Black Ministry Scuba Dude

Well done. These can be pretty addictive you know. Great little watches for the price and so many different dials to collect. You will probably want to replace the bracelet, as these are pretty bad, but the watch itself is great. Meranom sells Vostok mesh bracelet for about $20 that fit these perfectly, if you like the style.

Congrats and enjoy!
    ~ Daniel ~

Nice! I love my 'Dude. They're such quirky, off-the-radar watches, but with a real history and provenance. Don't expect it to keep great time, but hey...it's a Scubadude!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm really having a tough time making a decision about getting one of these. I WILL get one (in blue) but I can't decide between cases. I prefer the size of the traditional case, but I prefer the 22mm lug width of the the Ministry case; I have a lot of 22mm straps, and not a single 18mm strap. I'm going to ask Santa to bring me a Scuba Dude so I've got a little time to decide, but I need to figure this out.

Is there anything you Scuba Dude owners can tell me from your experiences? Are there really any pros & cons between the case sizes or is this just gonna be personal preference?

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; August 1st, 2014 at 16:54.
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I'm really having a tough time making a decision about getting one of these. I WILL get one (in blue) but I can't decide between cases. I prefer the size of the traditional case, but I prefer the 22mm lug width of the the Ministry case; I have a lot of 22mm straps, and not a single 18mm strap. I'm going to ask Santa to bring me a Scuba Dude so I've got a little time to decide, but I need to figure this out.

Is there anything you Scuba Dude owners can tell me from your experiences? Are there really any pros & cons between the case sizes or is this just gonna be personal preference?

-hayday
    As you say - the 22mm lug will give you more strap choice. The bracelets / straps that come with these are usually garbage. The regular round Dude looks good on a NATO, but it's pretty small so if you have big wrists it might look a bit weird. When you pull out the crown to set time time/date make sure you push the crown back and screw it down before you pull it out again to wind the watch. You'll feel a faint 'click' when you're screwing the crown back in as the seals go back in place.

The lume on mine is pretty weak and fades quickly. As for accuracy...not great, but I will say that mine is actually much more accurate when I wear it consistently - it doesn't like being on my winder, it runs very slow. The acrylic crystal can scratch easily, so may be worth getting yourself some Polywatch to polish them out (toothpaste will also work). Other than that, these are great little watches - so enjoy, but beware once you have one of these you'll probably end up wanting another!
    hayday likes this.

Hayday,

I find all the cases to be interesting. If you like to have 22mm straps/bracelet, you can go with the 100 (which i like a lot), the 90, also nice or the 110, which I like less. I have a few and they have proven to be reliable watches. Some are very precise, some, not so much but I kind of like their old school / vintage vibe. The new Amphibian SE from Meranom are also a few step up with great dials and hands set and SS bezels instead of plated ones. The blue Scuba dude is among my favorite. The dial is fantastic, but hard to capture on photos!

At their price, they are among the cheapest in-house made watch you can buy. I know I like my little Russian watches ; )

hayday and tanatron like this.
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by geezerbutler View Post
    but beware once you have one of these you'll probably end up wanting another!
    Too late, as I also want a Zissou!

-hayday

Daniel-

Is that the 90 in your picture? The case doesn't look that big in your picture, but it looks hugantic in most of the pics I've seen from online vendors. I'm thinking the 90 is the way to go, but I've got time to make my decision.

-hayday

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    Daniel-

Is that the 90 in your picture? The case doesn't look that big in your picture, but it looks hugantic in most of the pics I've seen from online vendors. I'm thinking the 90 is the way to go, but I've got time to make my decision.

-hayday
    Yes, it's one of the SE with 90 case. The case is 41mm wide and 48mm L2L. Honestly, it's a perfect size for my 7'' wrist. My 1967, which is 42mm, wears much bigger. Now that I got use to these more reasonably sized watches, I've been selling many of my bigger ones. They simply do not compare in terms of comfort.

Sometimes, smaller is better! ; )

EDIT: Doesn't look small, as you can see.

Last edited by DM71; August 1st, 2014 at 20:18. Reason: ADDED PIC
    ~ Daniel ~

I should probably clarify that it's not really the size of the case that bothers me, as much as it is the look- there is a lot of visible case by the lugs. It's almost a cushion case, and I'm not sure how I feel about the look of it. For some reason, it just seems to stand out on the 90 and 100 cases. I wish the 60 had 22mm lugs because that would be perfect.

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; August 1st, 2014 at 21:46.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information