Ordering custom made watch? - A one of a kind

Thread: Ordering custom made watch? - A one of a kind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ordering custom made watch? - A one of a kind

Say for example someone where to wish for a watch that was completely unique in terms of looks, movements, dials and all that. Say for example someone wanted a special look on everything, from crown to markers, material and such.

Are any of the great watch makers taking special orders? Or just somehow special, say for example I found a watch movement I liked, but wanted a different touch to it with a different something. Basically, a custom one of a kind watch with the theme and material of my wish, yet complicated enough to be accepted as a high quality watch.

Where can I find such? Its like cars, some celebrities gets their cars personalized with internet in them or gets the entire car interior changed etc..

Re: Ordering custom made watch? - A one of a kind

I am sure that everything can be done.

Price will be a totally different discussion however.

Kind Regards

Tariq

The mind of man is like a clock that is always running down, and requires to be constantly wound up.

- William Hazlitt

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally View Post
    I am sure that everything can be done.

Price will be a totally different discussion however.
    I am sure even the Swatch Group will build custom watches for you... all you have to do is become owner of 51% of their shares.

The last articles I read indicated truly hand built one of a kind custom watches were costing over a million dollars and were taking several years to be built.

But a dial refinisher will do custom dials for a lot less... If VintageWatchMan wants to buy WatchUSeek from Erinie I'll tell him where to find them...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

sure. uts does custom one off watches. so does davosa.

The most realistic way to do this, in my opinion, is to take a watch closest to what you want and have it modified/customized. You need to decide what complications you want (chronograph, moon phase, calendar, power reserve, etc.) and buy that watch as a base for modifications.

Dial, bezel and hand swaps are fairly easy and not that expensive. Refinishing the case is not hard. Adding precious stones is also possible.

Just curious, what did you have in mind and why can't an off-the-shelf watch fill that need?

Well, There are a couple of companies that advertise on this site that offer custom watches. This "121time.com" and "Balancier" have these flash-based websites that let you chose from various parts. The drawback, I guess, is that you're still limited to relatively standard parts like ETA 2824-2's or quartz modules. They don't seem to do custom mechanical complications.

stuffler,mike

If it is just finding a new house for a movement this should be no problem at all. A marriage is simple though. If it is a complete new watch where everything has developed anew its a question of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by hk_usp9f View Post
    The most realistic way to do this, in my opinion, is to take a watch closest to what you want and have it modified/customized. You need to decide what complications you want (chronograph, moon phase, calendar, power reserve, etc.) and buy that watch as a base for modifications.

Dial, bezel and hand swaps are fairly easy and not that expensive. Refinishing the case is not hard. Adding precious stones is also possible.

Just curious, what did you have in mind and why can't an off-the-shelf watch fill that need?
    Well trust me, tons of watches fills my needs, but then again, at some point a one of a kind watch, complicated, and with its own unique features will be an amazing thing to own. I would especially like to give it my own theme.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageWatchMan View Post
    ...Its like cars, some celebrities gets their cars personalized with internet in them or gets the entire car interior changed etc..
    What a great idea for a new reality TV show. Pimp my watch.
    --Steve
    --------------------
    "War and courage have done more than love of your neighbor. Not your pity but your bravery has saved the unfortunate thus far."
    --Nietzsche

As far as I know and think, I bet a company such as Roger Dubuis can produce emanel painted themes. A Roger watch with a twist of Ulysse Nardin's Forgerons Minute Repeater (to give it some depth from raised shapes) could look gorgeous, especially if it was done with an ancient theme, Greek or so.

My only question is, how can I select a good enough quality movement (as I understand that is kind of what determines the price)?

Also selecting the rest, I dont know what is good and what is bad? I mean, I know a tourbillon and perpetual calendar is making the watch more expensive, but what else? I am looking for mechanics that makes the watch value go up because of its genius complexity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information