Orient Mako XL or Tissot V8???
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Orient Mako XL or Tissot V8???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Orient Mako XL or Tissot V8???

Not sure what to pick....Orient Mako XL....in blue! Or Tissot V8 in black or blue!
    Any opinions?
    Also does anyone know of any Tissot watches that are 44mm or above?

Re: Orient Mako XL or Tissot V8???

I'd go for the Tissot for the following reasons

1) The Mako looks like any other divers
    2) While I'm not a big fan of chronos, I find them more interesting that divers
    3) The Tissot is more interesting to look at for me
    4) I just have a adversion to the Mako due to the name. A Mako is a very sleek fast shark and a diver just doesn't fit in my mind (a quirk of mine).

So based on all of the above . . . just get whatever you want really. Why follow my tastes?

However, I will say, just because a mechanical is old historic technology doesn't mean it has to be the size of a sundial. Chronos and divers can be smaller than 44. They can be smaller than 42 even.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gbelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mhle Glashtte | NOMOS Glashtte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Tissot for sure. I believe there are a bunch of Tissot's 44mm and above. Just go to amazon search for tissot watch then click on 44 or above case size. Easy enough. The seastar is bigger.

This is the search for 45mm and above: Amazon.com: tissot watch - Wrist Watches / Watches: Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." -Bob Dylan

-------

Bell & Ross 03-94 Golden Heritage
    Tissot Couturier (Valjoux 7750)
    Oris Williams F1 Day Date
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF1112

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Between the V8 and the XL I would be tempted to go for the Orient. If you want a slightly larger Tissot look at the Seastar range. If you take a liking to one of those then the XL doesn't even compare.

Thanks guys!all useful to know!i don't actually really know much about Tissot,just like the look of them!how do they compare in quality to Seiko?say for example the seastar and v8 bracelets to Seikos bracelets?

Quote Originally Posted by love1981 View Post
    Thanks guys!all useful to know!i don't actually really know much about Tissot,just like the look of them!how do they compare in quality to Seiko?say for example the seastar and v8 bracelets to Seikos bracelets?
    Seiko actually makes an incredibly wide range of products-- $30 watches to special editions above $300,000.

In my experience, Seiko bracelets for models priced around $150ish tend to be pretty mediocre. They're not terrible, but many are made of folded steel, and folded in such a way that the folds are obvious from the side. The clasps often lack a double-lock mechanism, but it depends on the watch. I would expect that the Tissot and Mako XL bracelets would be better than an inexpensive Seiko. Move up the Seiko line and the bracelets get better.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by love1981 View Post
    Comparing costs of the watches I would say that Seiko and Tissot are about the same. If anything the Tissot bracelets are a little better.

The fit and finish of my tissot is excellent for the price. Bracelet is great too!

I have both, Mako XL with black dial/orange bezel and V8 with silver dial, and I like them both differently. Additionally, I want a blue Mako XL and a V8 in blue, though I probably won't get either. I wore my Tissot V8 yesterday, and I'm wearing my Orient Mako XL today. I would recommend both without hesitation. The Mako XL in blue or black would probably be a bit more versatile as it wears a little more formally; neither is a dress watch, but this diver is a little more dressy than that chronograph, IMO. The Orient is automatic, whereas the Tissot is quartz. The Mako XL will also be a bit bigger, but it doesn't wear too terribly large. The lug size is the same (22mm) so they can share straps. I honestly don't have a preference to suggest. They are both great watches, so I think it really comes down to your personal preference: diver or chronograph.

Sorry, I'm not of much help.

-hayday

Click image for larger version.

Name:	MAKO XL leather.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1582605

Name:	MakoXL NATO.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1582606

Name:	Tissot croc.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1582607

Name:	Tissot:orange.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1582609
    Last edited by hayday; August 1st, 2014 at 19:12.
    OvrSteer likes this.
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I have both, Mako XL with black dial/orange bezel and V8 with silver dial, and I like them both differently. Additionally, I want a blue Mako XL and a V8 in blue, though I probably won't get either. I wore my Tissot V8 yesterday, and I'm wearing my Orient Mako XL today. I would recommend both without hesitation. The Mako XL in blue or black would probably be a bit more versatile as it wears a little more formally; neither is a dress watch, but this diver is a little more dressy than that chronograph, IMO. The Orient is automatic, whereas the Tissot is quartz. The Mako XL will also be a bit bigger, but it doesn't wear too terribly large. The lug size is the same (22mm) so they can share straps. I honestly don't have a preference to suggest. They are both great watches, so I think it really comes down to your personal preference: diver or chronograph.

Sorry, I'm not of much help.

-hayday

Name:	MAKO XL leather.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1582605

Name:	MakoXL NATO.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1582606

Name:	Tissot croc.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1582607

Name:	Tissot:orange.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1582609
    Thanks hayday!!

Thanks for the photos!iam drawn more to the mako xl blue,more for what you said it's more versatile,and to me it does look like it can pull off a dressy look and it looks like it will fit under a cuff.....but it's also an auto!
    hayday likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information