Orient Movement vs. Swiss Movement
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Orient Movement vs. Swiss Movement

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Orient Movement vs. Swiss Movement

The school of Horology in Pennsylvania has made a video available to the public that talks about the superiority of the Orient in-house movement that of the popular ETA movement that is found in a lot of Swiss watches.
    This video examines the winding systems of both Orients 46943 (Found in the cem6500 series popularly known as the Mako series) and the swiss movement eta 2892.a2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwTnAlX2LU
    That Ain't an Igloo, thats my Watch. That ain't snow, thats my Chain. That Ain't an ice tray, thats my teeth. That's not a snowcone, thats my ring
    - Orient Orange Mako
    - Orient "Pepsi" Mako
    - Orient Star (Rose Gold w/ power reserve)
    - Android Tattooed Banker (Yellow)
    - Movado
    - G-Shock 5600, 6900

Re: Orient Movement vs. Swiss Movement

It might demonstrate the simplicity of the orient's rotor and autowinding system, but keep in mind the ETA movement can be handwound and has a higher beatrate too, so the automatic rotor is just one aspect of a movement. Also note the channel the video is displayed - yep its OrientUSA. Not implying anything but I just don't want this to devolve into a $150 watch is superior to a $3000 watch thread, since many other factors come into play.
    Lots of dive watches.

Interesting. Will take a look. Haven't watched the video yet, but doesn't the Orient movement also lack hack?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2manywatchez View Post
    Interesting. Will take a look. Haven't watched the video yet, but doesn't the Orient movement also lack hack?
    Yeah that too. I just wanted people to keep in mind that the review only covered the autowinding mechanism and nothing else.

The orient website has a post about this that makes it seem like the orient movement is superior in everyway to the ETA movement, which I think is a bit of marketing fluff.

I own an OS300 and think its a wonderful watch, but if someone said would you rather make it a high beat, hacking, hand-windable movement, I would probably say yes.
    thekody and pyiyha like this.
    Lots of dive watches.

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

This was discussed weeks ago:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ght=orient+eta

There's supposed to be a series of these vids.
    ~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

Yeah, this was discussed earlier. All they concluded was that Orient's simple winding system seems to be more efficient in winding the mainspring than the ETA's.

I'd take the ETA movement any day. Not even a real competition, IMO. The hacking and handwinding are huge for me.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
    Yeah, this was discussed earlier. All they concluded was that Orient's simple winding system seems to be more efficient in winding the mainspring than the ETA's.

I'd take the ETA movement any day. Not even a real competition, IMO. The hacking and handwinding are huge for me.
    My new Orient dual time CDH00002B has the newly developed caliber 48K40 movement that hacks but still does not hand wind. Quite frankly, I have not missed the hand wind capability at all:

Glad you enjoy your watch, Minidriver. REgarding handwinding... just curious, do you hanve a watch that handwinds? I have several, and I wish all my watches had that capability. I don't care about hacking so much anymore, but handwinding is extremely useful. I rotate several watches, and if I go more than 1 day without wearing one, it'll stop. A good wind will keep it in play. I'd rather not spend 10 minutes shaking the watch to do the same thing.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
    Glad you enjoy your watch, Minidriver. REgarding handwinding... just curious, do you hanve a watch that handwinds? I have several, and I wish all my watches had that capability. I don't care about hacking so much anymore, but handwinding is extremely useful. I rotate several watches, and if I go more than 1 day without wearing one, it'll stop. A good wind will keep it in play. I'd rather not spend 10 minutes shaking the watch to do the same thing.
    None of them do My experience with mechanical watches is limited to Orients and I am very pleased with the winding efficiency of their movements. Even pulling out the crown all the way to the second click stop and start setting the time, gets the movement in motion even after several days of non-use. I don't have to shake the watch for 10 minutes just to get it moving. In about 3-4 hours is all it takes for them to reach 25-30 hours worth of charge in the spring.

Personally, I find hacking more desirable.

I guess it al comes down to personal preference and what you are really used to.

It would really bug me to have a watch that cannot hack. That's a deal breaker for me.
    Chicawolverina likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information