Orient Perpetual Calendar
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ltstaley
  • 1 Post By Paulo 8135
  • 1 Post By EnderW
  • 1 Post By Chascomm

Thread: Orient Perpetual Calendar

Orient Perpetual Calendar

Hello everyone, its been a while since I last checked the Forums but I was moving from UK to Spain and my life was quite a mess.

Well, now that I'm settled in Spain (kinda) I'm trying to get back to the hobby and I was checking an Auction website I check every once in a while and I saw an Orient Perpetual Calendar Y469672 and I just wanted to ask your opinion on this watch.

The one i saw went for 120 Euros and there is another one on sale finishing in a couple of days, I really like the watch but I just wanted to check with you guys about the quality of it.

Heres a pic:

Name:  Orient Perpetual Calendar.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  39.8 KB

Thank you!

Re: Orient Perpetual Calendar

It's an interesting watch if you like it. A bit busy for my taste and not very intuitive to use... Not perpetual calendar as much as multi-year calendar.
    These models were historically important in Orient line-up, but are less popular now.
    Some modern models exist as well: Orient Executive Multi-Calendar Watch | FEU0A005W0

you can find instructions for use here:
    https://yeomanseiko.com/2009/11/14/o...ar-ceu07005wx/
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

I've seen this reference before, and it always struck me as the: The Perpetual calendar watch for the dude that is always finding incredibly complicated workarounds to avoid paying retail for anything or living on the grid.

Mild attempt at humor, not being a jackass, I actually like it in an ironic "casio calculator watch" kinda way

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I do not see a perpetual calendar here. Not a fully automatic calendar watch which automatically adjusts the end of each month, including the months of a leap year until February 28, 2100.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    I do not see a perpetual calendar here. Not a fully automatic calendar watch which automatically adjusts the end of each month, including the months of a leap year until February 28, 2100.
    I thought this was a short cut way of doing that by manual reading the indicators on the dial? Now im actually curious bc I can't figure out the bottom half of the dial... +1 if anybody knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, this is why i ask you, Because i watched a video and its not actually a perpetual calendar like you say, I just kinda liked the way it looks and wanted to add something a little vintage to my collection.

thanks for the feedback!

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by miscellaneousmicron View Post
    I've seen this reference before, and it always struck me as the: The Perpetual calendar watch for the dude that is always finding incredibly complicated workarounds to avoid paying retail for anything or living on the grid.
    Genuine quartz perpetual calendar watches can actually be had quite affordably. Seiko do models in their Premier line, and there's also the notorious Tissot 'Evil Snowman':

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

Quote Originally Posted by paulo piper segurado View Post
    Genuine quartz perpetual calendar watches can actually be had quite affordably. Seiko do models in their Premier line, and there's also the notorious Tissot 'Evil Snowman':

That is one happy watch :)
    Paulo 8135 likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miscellaneousmicron View Post
    I thought this was a short cut way of doing that by manual reading the indicators on the dial? Now im actually curious bc I can't figure out the bottom half of the dial... +1 if anybody knows
    The two parts work together. First use the second crown to line up the current year with the current month on the lower part of the dial, after that the top part has all the days of the week aligned with the dates of the month. There are additional positions for January and February on leap years.

These sorts of calendar were pioneered on wristwatches by Orient and then adopted by several other makers, but they have also been around for years on paperweights and other items, usually with a nautical theme for some reason.

What this sort of calendar offers that a perpetual calendar does not is the ability to look at past and future dates (e.g. determining on which day of the week your wife's birthday falls next year).

I have multi-year calendar watches by Luch and Raketa and have also tried out the later Orient types (the push-button style which is rubbish). They're a fun sort of gadget but not often actually useful .... a bit like a real perpetual calendar.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information