Oris Coltrane: Sellita SW200-1 Issues
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Davekaye90

Thread: Oris Coltrane: Sellita SW200-1 Issues

Oris Coltrane: Sellita SW200-1 Issues

Been having some issues with an Oris and a watch repair shop and would appreciate your opinion on this.

Some weeks ago I realized I don't wear my 3-year-old Oris Coltrane enough, so two weeks ago I wound it up fully on a Monday morning and wore it to work. On Tuesday it stopped running at some point in the afternoon. I wound it up again on Wednesday morning and wore it to work again and it stopped working again on Thursday afternoon at around the same time. Having read up on the issue a bit, it looked as if the Sellita SW200-1 sometimes has issues with the rotor becoming "sticky" after a while can require a service. So on Friday afternoon I dropped it off at a watch store that is certified for repairs on a number of brands, including Oris. I told them that I felt the watch wasn't winding properly and that it may be due to a stuck rotor.

A week later on Saturday I picked up the watch, which the shop said had been repaired and tested. In the shop, I asked what the issue was and they said that it was magnetized and they demagnetized it. The watch showed no signs of running very fast in the days before I dropped it off, but I didn't press the issue.. I wore the watch out of the shop and walked home, which took about 40 minutes.

The next day on Sunday, the watch stopped working again in the afternoon.

I wrote the store and told them that in my opinion, the issue with the watch was not fixed. They disagreed, said their tests showed that it was magnetized and that I could only know for sure that it's not fixed if I wear it a full day. I could do that, however tomorrow I have some time where I could stop by at Oris's HQ in Hölstein and give them the watch for repair as I'll be in that area for unrelated business anyways - but it would cost me an extra hour of my time.

My question to you is - is the shop right and could magnetization caused the automatic winding to not work properly?

Should I stop by Oris tomorrow and drop off the watch, or should I follow the shop's advice and wear it for a day and see if it works properly now, in the assumption that the 40 minute walk on Saturday was not enough to wind the watch up fully?

And because a thread is worthless without pictures:

Name:  tb77b7t.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  173.0 KB

Re: Oris Coltrane: Sellita SW200-1 Issues

Lets find out if there is a problem. Just wear it for several days without hand winding it in the morning. If you are reasonably active the rotor should fully wind your watch during the day and give you approximately 40 hours of power reserve.

Follow John’s advice and see how it performs. I would counsel against calling in at Oris because some people have been welcomed with open arms but others were met by captain grumpy and didn’t make it past the reception.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately, I only really have time to stop by Oris tomorrow. I did get them on the phone and they said no problem to drop off the watch for a repair/revision.

Also, I picked it up again this evening and gave it a couple cicular shakes, in both directions, too see if I could get the second hand to move even a little bit. It didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by WastedYears View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately, I only really have time to stop by Oris tomorrow. I did get them on the phone and they said no problem to drop off the watch for a repair/revision.

Also, I picked it up again this evening and gave it a couple cicular shakes, in both directions, too see if I could get the second hand to move even a little bit. It didn't.
    The Seiko shuffle should start any automatic within about 10 seconds, including movements that aren't bi-directional like the 9015. If it doesn't, clearly it's the rotor and not the watch being magnetized.
    WastedYears likes this.

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

I would absolutely go to Oris and get it looked at.

Great looking watch. It's been on my list for a while. They seldom come up in the pre-owned market. Hope you get it straightened out.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

can you please advise on the outcome? I have a similar issue...

Thread Information