Oris? Omega? First watch?

Thread: Oris? Omega? First watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris? Omega? First watch?

Hi All,

New guy here. I usually would never think of dropping more than a few coins for a watch but I am ready for a more substantial plunge. I have been wondering where the line is drawn...For instance, is a $1000 Oris basically comparable to a $2600 Omega? Anyway, I am looking at both the Oris brand and the Omega. Is there something I should look for specific or are they close enough to similar that it would just come down to looks for me? Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Oris? Omega? First watch?

Quote Originally Posted by pachowder View Post
    Hi All,

New guy here. I usually would never think of dropping more than a few coins for a watch but I am ready for a more substantial plunge. I have been wondering where the line is drawn...For instance, is a $1000 Oris basically comparable to a $2600 Omega? Anyway, I am looking at both the Oris brand and the Omega. Is there something I should look for specific or are they close enough to similar that it would just come down to looks for me? Any advice is appreciated.
    They are not comparable in the sense that you are referring to - that they are the same minus the aesthetics. The Oris watch uses ETA movements, while Omega utilizes in-house co-axials, which have been based on an ETA 2892-A2 in the past (though, Omega still uses these previous movements). Omega's watches are more than just a mark-up for the name, it is also a more accurate mechanical movement and IMO with more attractive features. It also depends on which line of watches within the brand that you like more. For instance, do you like the divers? More formal watches? Picture comparisons would be helpful. If the budget permits, I'd get an Omega. With the budget you set out, check out the Omega Seamaster Professional 2220.80, which uses the 2500C co-axial movement - it's a favorite among many, not just Omega or watch enthusiasts. Again, look into the different watches to see which you like best.
    Best,

Tempvs

Thanks Tempus. I was actually eyeing the Planet Ocean line. Didnt really pick an Oris but was looking at some pics and they were pretty good looking to my eye. I am thinking a diver at this time. I put one of your comments in Bold font because that was exactly the type of response I was looking for. I just couldnt get to the right question for some reason. Thanks again and the search continues!

Quote Originally Posted by TempusExMachina View Post
    They are not comparable in the sense that you are referring to - that they are the same minus the aesthetics. The Oris watch uses ETA movements, while Omega utilizes in-house co-axials, which have been based on an ETA 2892-A2 in the past (though, Omega still uses these previous movements). Omega's watches are more than just a mark-up for the name, it is also a more accurate mechanical movement and IMO with more attractive features. It also depends on which line of watches within the brand that you like more. For instance, do you like the divers? More formal watches? Picture comparisons would be helpful. If the budget permits, I'd get an Omega. With the budget you set out, check out the Omega Seamaster Professional 2220.80, which uses the 2500C co-axial movement - it's a favorite among many, not just Omega or watch enthusiasts. Again, look into the different watches to see which you like best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pachowder View Post
    Thanks Tempus. I was actually eyeing the Planet Ocean line. Didnt really pick an Oris but was looking at some pics and they were pretty good looking to my eye. I am thinking a diver at this time. I put one of your comments in Bold font because that was exactly the type of response I was looking for. I just couldnt get to the right question for some reason. Thanks again and the search continues!
    You do need to ask yourself if the $1,600 mark-up is worth it (in case you might ask, both brands of watches will depreciate in value over time). Omega's worth it for me. Another important comparison to make are other brands - Tag Heuer, Breitling, Longines, etc. Good luck on your search and the PO is a great watch.
    Best,

Tempvs

Where is the line drawn? It'll be drawn in your head mainly. If you're considering Omega you might as well look at Rolex as well.
    the official canadian time: http://time5.nrc.ca/webclock_e.shtml

Banned

Oris makes a nice watch but is not on same playing field as Omega. If you have Omega in your head you will go thru other watch to eventually there. Costing more time and money... ive gone thru tons of watches and money to end up with what i have now. These are the watches that i wanted when i 1st started collecting.
    Last edited by voodootomato; March 19th, 2011 at 18:26.

As voodootomato mentions, there is a certain individual evolution in developing a likening towards the watches to own. For me, it's initially been aesthetics and the general declaration to have it be mechanical/automatic. Then, it became almost a reversal of the two, save for the nicer movements usually tagged with it beautiful timepiece finishes. And now, I'm still learning and finding new things to appreciate. Researching the movements really got me to appreciate certain watches over others, and to understand the comparative value of watches. Think of movements like the engines of a car - whether they are outfitted with sporty flavor, formal tailor or other - 0-60 in 60 seconds beats a slower (and faster) time. There's a mechanism inside the watch that dictates directly the experience of time you have with it.
    Last edited by Tempvs Ex Machina; March 19th, 2011 at 18:27.
    Best,

Tempvs

My first automatic watch was a ORIS TT1 diver. I was wearing it almost every day for five years and it is still running like a champ. I am currently having it serviced, namely the bezel ring replaced (lots of desk-diving).
    I can recommend Oris, but no matter what brand you go with, make sure it has a saphire crystal. You can see on the picture below that while the bezel is pretty much ruined, the glass is still flawless (the stuff you see on the glass is dust and not scratches).

Name:  L1080206.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  165.1 KB

I have an Omega Speedy and Aqua Terra and an Oris diver like the one pictured above.

The Oris diver is an absolutely smashing watch; tough as nails, handsome, rugged as the come, but smart enough to wear on most occasions.

Would I swap it for a Seamaster Pro? Nope. Would I swap it for a Planet Ocean - yes, but then it's less than a third of the price.

Here's a short pic comparison of the popular diver lineup I pulled from the net.

Oris Pro Diver Date (there's also a black bezel titanium version out currently)
    For better or for worst, the hour markers look like boats/canoes/battleships on water from an aerial shot.

Omega SMP
    The black Bond watch

Omega PO
    The newer Bond watch
    Last edited by Tempvs Ex Machina; March 20th, 2011 at 00:45.
    Best,

Tempvs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information