Other dials?

Thread: Other dials?

Off topic Other dials?

Watches aren't the only instruments with dials. I have a Brunton pocket transit that I have as a gift to my father several years ago and since he passed away, I took possession of it with the intentions of giving it to his grandson when he graduates in May. He's a civil engineer and might actually have a need for it. If you haven't seen a Brunton Pocket Transit before, they're pretty cool instruments.

Here's a simple shot:

Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

Re: Other dials?

That's pretty cool. I thought it had something to do with traffic. I wasnt familiar with the terminology of "transit" other than travelling etc. I guess it is another way of saying compass.
    Tianjin Jun Shi 天津君士潛海計時儀器 Military Diver
    Orient オリエント時計
    Blue TT Diver 2ER00004D
    Sea-Gull 海鷗手錶 Chrono 1963 Chinese Air Force Re-issue
    Casio カシオ G-Shock Riseman Solar Multi-band 6 GW9200-1
    Casio カシオ G-Shock White Solar Multi-band 6 GWM850-7CR
    Yes Watch The Kundalini L102.4
    Yes Watch The Cozmo Symbol #K501
    Seiko セイコー Men's SS Silver Dial SGF459
    Seiko セイコー Military Chronograph SDWB63P

Quote Originally Posted by DSLAM View Post
    That's pretty cool. I thought it had something to do with traffic. I wasnt familiar with the terminology of "transit" other than travelling etc. I guess it is another way of saying compass.
    FYI

The transit and theodolite are used by the surveyor to measure both horizontal and vertical angles. While the purpose of the two is similar, as a general rule a theodolite is more accurate than a transit. However, there is no specific rule as to when one definition ends and the other begins. Generally, these instruments have a minimum accuracy of one minute of angle and some very precise theodolites will measure angles to an accuracy of one-tenth of a second of angle. To put these accuracies into perspective, at a distance of one mile, one minute of angle covers about 1.5 feet. At a distance of one mile, one-tenth of a second of angle covers about 0.003 feet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is my favorite picture of "dials" on the dash of a 1950s vintage rallye car. Note the bottle of vino which I guess helped when one was in a stressful race.
    The thing to the left of the bottle looks interesting but I have no idea what it is.

Thread Information