our very first posts!

Thread: our very first posts!

our very first posts!

this isn't exactly like lookin at old baby pictures, but let's all post our very first posts here at watchuseek. some of us are in the hundreds of posts, some in the THOUSANDS. wow.

so i'll start, even though it's pretty dorky...

from the chinese mechs forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by watch_art View Post
    hey guys,
    long time listener, first time caller.
    my wife ordered this for me on the 24th.
    http://www.alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=54
    i'm psyched and can't wait for it to get here.
    2 weeks shipping, you say?
    AARRGHH!

i'll post pics when i get it. can't wait to see how it looks in person.
    it was closer to 4 weeks shipping.

so if this isn't too bad an idea, let's see your VERY FIRST posts!

Alpha Skeleton Multifunction, Alpha PO, Casio Edifice Chrono EF503, G-Shock Mudman Camo, Timex Ironman

Re: our very first posts!

Sounds fun..

From G-Shock forum..
    Quote Originally Posted by niles316 View Post
    I went out to get Riseman in a rush when I saw an ad on it. Apparently there are 2 modules of Riseman--GW-9200 (module # 3147) and G-9200 (#3148). Both look the same. However, only the former has the atomic sync/multi-band. Mine is the G-9200. I don't suppose they sell GW-9200 in Singapore since there's no atomic clock here to update the GW-9200.

Which ever the model, the Riseman is pretty good. Got me all excited about the functions. I spent the whole of last night poring over the manual to better understand the operations of the watch. Can't wait to wear it out today!

Banned

I can't play along - I have more than 1000 posts and that's the limit you can search. I guess I could take hours going back to October 17th of last year in the forums I frequent to look for something.....or not. I'm sure I said something sarcastic and hopefully at least mildly funny.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ
    I love the skyland. Its one of my top 3 for the next B.
    For anybody with over 1000 posts, google this:

site:forums.watchuseek.com/archive "April 5th, 2008" +rjrjrj

Replace the bold items with your join date and screen name, exactly in the format above. Open up each of the results and you can see your posts with the time-stamp to see which was first. Of course this only applies if you posted the day you joined.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    I'm sure I said something sarcastic and hopefully at least mildly funny.
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus
    A few questions:
    - what do you define as "a lot of money"?
    - what material do you want the case made of?
    - do you want a manual wind or automatic?
    - what model or type (dress, sport, chrono, etc) are you interested in?

You can't get into a nice vintage piece in 18K from them for less than $800 (US) from what I've seen. Most good examples from the 50's, 60's, and 70's can be found a bit beat up for quite a bargain though. If you're into project watches you could pick on up and then save for the restoration. I think the calibre 885 (two hand manual wind) and calibre 883 (three hand sweep center seconds) are nice movements and still can be had for a relatively good price.

My very 1st was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    I just picked up one of these today at Costco. I actually went in there looking for a table, and ended up with a watch. Typical.

Details: Approx 38mm x 38mm x 12mm all-brushed st/st case, knurled non-screw crown, caseback held on by 8 screws. Supposedly a/r coating on the crystal, but mine doesn't appear to have much -if any- coatings. The case has INVICTA etched along the 9 o'clock side. Lug width is 22mm. Rated as 200M waterresistant.
    I have an issue with the strap: mine has a massive, 3mm thick strap which is really uncomfortable as new. It is leather backed with a carbon-fibre or nylon type material stitched to the upper surface, and a whopping huge Invicta-signed buckle. I managed to strap it on and felt like my wrist was in a vise. Im sure it would soften and conform after a while and a few swims/showers/saunas, but I switched mine for a more comfortable, thinner leather strap.

It's a very striking looking piece, like a B&R knockoff it looks like it belongs in an aircraft instrument panel. The carbon-fibre dial is beautiful and looks almost 3D. Big date at 12 is easy to read. The lume is great! I set the watch outside for a while, then under a fluorescent light in the kitchen (about an hour altogether), then put it in a closet. Four hours later the "Tritnite" hands and indices were still glowing brightly enough to be easily readable.

The movement is a Rhonda cal 6004B quartz, with centre hr/min hands and sub-seconds. The time and date set easily. I don't know much about Rhonda, but I've had other Rhonda-powered watches and have had no reliability issues. I hope this one will be similar.

It is large as a man's watch, and positively huge as a woman's. But as a woman with thing for large watches anyway, given the styling and size, I'm smittem with this watch already.

Cheers,
    Sherry.
    My intro was thus, several posts later:
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    Just realized I haven't posted an intro. :oops:

I'm Sherry, and I hail from near Victoria BC Canada. I have been fascinated by watches for about as long as I can remember, which is a tragically long time.

I never really got into the typical girl stuff when I was little; always preferred to watch (and help, much to his dismay!) my dad fix the car, lawnmower, and so on. He was an electronic engineer with IBM in the 1960's, and had the coolest machines in our home office/workshop. Watches seemed to be a similar kind of cool, but one could wear them around and be fascinated on the go.

Then came the LED era. Gosh I fell hard for those! I still love them. I couldn't afford a Pulsar back then, but I ended up with a collection of many less expensive brands many of which I still own, plus several Pulsars. I enjoy repairing modules and coaxing these old watches back to life. Maybe "enjoy" isn't quite the right word....

But being a sporty kind of gal, I also developed a liking for large dive and sport watches, then I matured (some) and got myself a career in the optical profession and developed a taste for nicer dress and vintage watches.

It was a slippery slope....

Currently I have about 30-40 wearable watches, and an indeterminate number of derelicts waiting for restoration or cannibalization. I'm extremely fortunate to have several good watchmakers up in the city to help me with my hobby. At first, they were a little unsure of this crazy woman with a passion for watches, but they quickly opened up to my odd hobby and now I have not only top-notch resources for support, but some new friends as well.

My favourite brands to collect are Eterna, Zodiac, Omega, and Orient, but my collection includes a bit of everything from Tudor to Timex. I have no willpower where watches are concerned. It is really quite scary...

Cheers,
    Sherry.
    Am I long-winded or what??? :oops:
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    Nope
    I kinda remember that post - I think somebody had asked about JLC. I had (and still do) kept some rough records on some of the vintage models and what they sell for on eBay.

Thanks RJ, I would never have known how to look that up.

My first post on WUS? Not too exciting...
    01/29/09
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorC View Post
    Pm and email sent.
    I bought two watch bands on the SC.

My first new thread on WUS a few days later 2/5/09
    "A JLC Memovox given new life (long)"
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=230701

It really was kind of long so I won't post it all here.
    But I still think it was a pretty good first thread...
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

Thread Information