Own up - What's the single most embarrassing watch you've ever purchased?
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Own up - What's the single most embarrassing watch you've ever purchased?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Own up - What's the single most embarrassing watch you've ever purchased?

I'll break the ice with this monstrosity, complete with meaningless subdials and gratuitous logos aplenty:

Name:  WTF1.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  247.7 KB

Bought in the twilight years of the 20th Century when I was 16ish and making ill-advised forays into the dubious world of UK Garage (don't ask), in which D&G was a brand with much kudos in the clubs of London (yes clubs, I was a tall 16 year old). Often worn with crisp YSL shirt, D&G belt (like they came as a set or something) and black Valentino (!?) jeans. Ditched after a couple of years and replaced with a Citizen Nighthawk and then an ani/digi G-Shock, which are both much better although still not really my style at all nowadays. I went through a lot of identity shifts from teens to mid-twenties!

Over to you all, CONFESS!

DISCLAIMER: Before you all start with the Rikki Lake "who are we to judge, wear what you like" business that accompanies every WUS thread nowadays - I am not making value judgements on people who buy, like or chose to wear the aforementioned D&G or any other watch. This is simply a bit of fun for the WUS crowd, ok?

Steinhart ocean one. It’s such a blantant rip off Rolex copy, before I knew watches I thought it was good quality and a reasonable price. I’m not saying it wasn’t good quality but I wouldn’t wear a copy/homeage watch again
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Re: Own up - What's the single most embarrassing watch you've ever purchased?

I don’t have one. At that age, which I was in the late 90s, I wore a 50/60s Visodate and a79 Seiko 5 Sports

i must admit I did crack up reading the part where you looked like you were in a boy band!
    DilliTime likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky73 View Post
    Steinhart ocean one. It’s such a blantant rip off Rolex copy, before I knew watches I thought it was good quality and a reasonable price. I’m not saying it wasn’t good quality but I wouldn’t wear a copy/homeage watch again
    I bought an OVM a couple of years ago to use as a beater but replaced it almost immediately with a Seiko. I wouldn't say it was embarrassing per se, I just found it utterly devoid of character.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    EnderW, flydiver and brandon\ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    I don’t have one. At that age, which I was in the late 90s, I wore a 50/60s Visodate and a79 Seiko 5 Sports

i must admit I did crack up reading the part where you looked like you were in a boy band!
    Glad to entertain, I'm man enough to know when I look(ed) a tw*t.

Out of interest - were the Visodate and Seiko purchases or hand-me-downs?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guess watch and asian's western-ish sounding name watches that you've probably never heard of such as alexander christie, expedition, and swiss army (but not the well known legit swiss army).
    slcbbrown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres View Post
    Guess watch and asian's western-ish sounding name watches that you've probably never heard of such as alexander christie, expedition, and swiss army (but not the well known legit swiss army).
    I spend half my time in Myanmar nowadays and I can tell you Alexander Christie is pushing hard there, especially in the last couple of year. Fills a gap in the aspiration market - Rolex and the like have a presence for the small elite but aside from some Casio’s and Seiko 5s there’s little else other than cheap non-descript or questionably styled quartz’s. In such markets I can see why those sorts of pseudo European brands do well.

My first Rolex was a DJ36 that was completely "blacked out:" PVD case and bracelet, with black gloss dial having black diamonds as the hour markers. In my defense, it was a phase.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

In the early 1990s I got something at a $2 shop with Boy London on the dial, because, you know, it's like, a brand.

(I think at the same time and place I spent a further $2 for a watch with KGB on the dial, which turned out to be Russian automatic. I still have it, and it still functions when I bump it).
    DilliTime and Synequano like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DilliTime View Post
    I spend half my time in Myanmar nowadays and I can tell you Alexander Christie is pushing hard there, especially in the last couple of year. Fills a gap in the aspiration market - Rolex and the like have a presence for the small elite but aside from some Casio’s and Seiko 5s there’s little else other than cheap non-descript or questionably styled quartz’s. In such markets I can see why those sorts of pseudo European brands do well.
    It is surprising that they manage to stay this long in the business. I believe they've built their brand image. And for the people who are not into watches, AC does provide good looking watches.
    DilliTime likes this.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information