Panerai 177 vs. Omega PO 45mm, which is a better first watch?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Panerai 177 vs. Omega PO 45mm, which is a better first watch?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Panerai 177 vs. Omega PO 45mm, which is a better first watch?

Hi guys,

As most of you probably know by now, I've recently decided to make my first big watch purchase, I already have a savings model in place, and now the only question is which watch do I get?

On one side there's the Panerai PAM 177, and on the other theres the Omega Planet Ocean 45mm. If both watches were the same price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Panerai, however the PO can be had for about $3,500, Whereas the PAM is more like $6,000 (Both new. Want new for this one). The reason Im very interested in the PO, is because I really like the watch, and I could afford it much quicker. The Panerai would take twice the amount of time to save up for, but I'm not going to deny I like it more... The PO is also automatic, which is nice, but not a deal breaker at all. Another point is that its not about which I can afford, its just how long I have to save to be able to buy one.

So which do you guys thinks would be a better first watch? A Planet Ocean gives me a running start for future watches, and a part of me tells me it would be a better first purchase to start my collection, but I want the 177 more.

Thanks for your input,
    -Max

So its this-

Name:  PAM177L-1a.jpg
Views: 7918
Size:  101.1 KB

Up against this-

Name:  22015000-80.jpg
Views: 3923
Size:  78.4 KB
    Last edited by Mr. Panerai; October 13th, 2012 at 21:33.

Re: Panerai 177 vs. Omega PO 45mm, which is a better first watch?

As you know Omega gets props around here whereas Panerai...less so. The PO is automatic and much, much cheaper, and I prefer every aspect of it to the Pam. Doesn't make a different to me if it's your first, second or third watch.

But that's me, and it's your choice, Mr. Panerai

I think most will vote for PO,but I still prefer the 177
    If you get the PO now,once you save 6000 to buy the 177,I'm afraid the price will be closer to 8-9k range..
    Try them on 1st,I used to want PO for my collection,but once trying it on my wrist,I'm simply not feeling it

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my mind, there is more, or at least just as much, watch for your money in the case of the Omega, so that's what I'd take. At the same time, I understand that the Panerais have a very characteristic aesthetic and if that's what you must have, then look no further. The two really are different watches.
    Last edited by Statick; October 13th, 2012 at 22:23.
    Shearwater Research Teric --- Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z) --- Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E) --- Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003) --- Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph (C013.427.11.041.00) --- Rolex Submariner (114060) --- Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver (SBGA229G) --- Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570) --- Longines Heritage Pocket Watch (L7.012.4.21.1)

No contest for me, go for the Panerai. The PO just doesn't do it for me, looks a bit fuddy duddy IMHO (ducking). But I'm biased, I have a PAM 111 and a PAM 190.

Own both, love both.
    But I would recommend the PO as a first watch. More versatile, great movement and a better watch-value IMO.
    Dont get me wrong, Pam 177 is a cool watch and titanium makes it über comfortable to wear. Its also something you wont see on many others. But you are paying a sizeable premium for a small-lot production watch with an unremarkable ETA 6497 movement - which is probably not a great first watch choice.
    "Two Things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

I know that PO2500 is a forum favorite here but it never struck a chord with me ... If you think of a PO8500, that would be an entirely different story ...
    Else, Go for what sings for you.

Out of these two, I would go with the 177.
    When a guy takes off his coat, he's not going to fight. When a guy takes off his wristwatch, watch out! - Al McGuire

I think as a First Watch, the PO would be a better choice. If you were to buy the PAM first, your funds would have to recover much longer before buying a second watch
    And the way watch interests change, if you bought the PO first, you could still save and pick up another watch of similar value after that. Maybe look at a PAM 000 which you can grab second hand for about $3,500 or less.
    Cheers,
    Christopher

Current
    :
    Omega Speedmaster - LE Apollo Soyuz
    Omega PO

No more watches for a while for me !

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

PO 8500 first. MUCH more versatile and the unique IN-house movement. (Looking at your pricing model, I am guessing you are talking 2500 PO? Look at the used market IMHO, Used 2500 PO is quite cheap which is a good bargain).

177 is meh, to me. It is typical PAM with Ti case with not really special movement..

Now, remember, that assuming PO 45.5 model, it should be MUCH more heavier than 177 since 177 is Ti case.
    Chronic flipper...

Inactive

Your heart is with the Panerai.
    I would just save up for it.
    I suspect if you bought the Omega, you would still be wistfully thinking about the Panerai AND would've spent $3500 in the process.
    If you've saved $3500 already, save a little more and buy what will really get your rocks off WIS-wise.
    I would prefer to have 1 watch I adored rather than 2-3 that were nice/great but not quite love-at-first-sight.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information