Panerai 312 or Omega Moonwatch
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Panerai 312 or Omega Moonwatch

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Panerai 312 or Omega Moonwatch

Hello all :)

My fiancee is looking at buying my first "nice" watch for an engagement gift and I've narrowed it down to two pretty different watches: a Panerai PAM 312 and an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (black leather strap) with the 9300 movement.

I got to try on both of these watches over the weekend and unfortunately, it didn't help to narrow my decision to a clear winner. Here were my thoughts:

Panerai 312:

• Absolutely LOVE the simplistic look

• I've found that it's one of those love/hate things, but I really do love the look of the crown-guard on this watch

• I'm not very tall (a stocky 5'6'') so I'm a little afraid that this watch might look a bit big on me. It's definitely a lot thicker than I thought it was going to be

• The crown-guard I love so much is a little uncomfortable when I tilt my hand all the way up as it pinches down

• I'm not a fan of the traditional buckle on the strap. Granted it's easy enough to change out the strap, this is my first "nice" watch so I have no idea where to find a good quality strap/deployant buckle or how much these will cost.

Omega Moonwatch:

• While I do think this watch has a great, timeless design, I can't help but feel it looks a little dated next to the Panerai

• Having a deployant buckle on a leather band is pretty high on my list of wants (right after having an automatic movement) and this watch would already have it

• I'm really digging the features of the 9300 movement

• During the few minutes I wore both watches, the Omega was hands-down more comfortable on my wrist

Since this will be an engagement gift, I am looking to get something I could wear daily or dressy. Please let me know what you think :)

Re: Panerai 312 or Omega Moonwatch

You're considering luxury watches rather than high-end, you should've posted this in the public forum. I'd take the Speedy though.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Quote Originally Posted by omega1234 View Post
    You're considering luxury watches rather than high-end, you should've posted this in the public forum. I'd take the Speedy though.
    Oops, I'm sorry! I'll contact a mod and see if this can get moved. Otherwise if a mod comes in, please move to the public forum :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by [dRu] View Post
    Oops, I'm sorry! I'll contact a mod and see if this can get moved. Otherwise if a mod comes in, please move to the public forum :)
    Don't worry about it. If necessary they will move it.

I would go for the Panerai 312!! Too be honest just don't like the moon watch a lot. At the end it's just a matter of taste.
    Feel free to check out and make comments on my photo's: Click to see most of my watches!

Panerai 312 or Omega Moonwatch - Help Me Choose!

Hello all

It looks like I accidentally made this thread in the wrong subforum (high end watches) and I was told I should have made it here . My fiancee is looking at buying my first "nice" watch for an engagement gift and I've narrowed it down to two pretty different watches: a Panerai PAM 312 and an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (black leather strap) with the 9300 movement.

I got to try on both of these watches over the weekend and unfortunately, it didn't help to narrow my decision to a clear winner. Here were my thoughts:

Panerai 312:

• Absolutely LOVE the simplistic look

• I've found that it's one of those love/hate things, but I really do love the look of the crown-guard on this watch

• I'm not very tall (a stocky 5'6'') so I'm a little afraid that this watch might look a bit big on me. It's definitely a lot thicker than I thought it was going to be

• The crown-guard I love so much is a little uncomfortable when I tilt my hand all the way up as it pinches down

• I'm not a fan of the traditional buckle on the strap. Granted it's easy enough to change out the strap, this is my first "nice" watch so I have no idea where to find a good quality strap/deployant buckle or how much these will cost.

Omega Moonwatch:

• While I do think this watch has a great, timeless design, I can't help but feel it looks a little dated next to the Panerai

• Having a deployant buckle on a leather band is pretty high on my list of wants (right after having an automatic movement) and this watch would already have it

• I'm really digging the features of the 9300 movement

• During the few minutes I wore both watches, the Omega was hands-down more comfortable on my wrist

Since this will be an engagement gift, I am looking to get something I could wear daily or dressy. Please let me know what you think :)

You can't go wrong with either and we can't really make the decision for you since its your preference.

It looks like the 312 wins in looks but the Speedmaster in comfort. I would go try them on abfew different times and I think eventually one will sing to you. Then save up for the other :).

Note that I always liked the Panerai look and crown guard but couldn't wrap my head around the cost. Well I picked one up recently and I don't even think about how much it cost me or how much it's overpriced, I'm just absolutely in love with it.

Best of luck on whichever you decide, both are fantastic! I will say those though, Panerai will bring a strap addiction along with it.
    Current Arsenal:
    HMT Pilot | Casio G-Shock Riseman | Seiko SNZH57 | Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph | Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
    Purchase free since: 4/1/15 (subject to change)

Re: Panerai 312 or Omega Moonwatch - Help Me Choose!

If you are concerned about size, have you looked into the 40mm Luminor watches? There are a number to choose from. Also the Radiomir cased Panerai come in 42mm and 45mm - both of which wear much smaller than their indicated sized. Strap choices for both watches are literally endless. Dont be concerned about finding one that just right for you and for any occasion. Changes straps on both watches is very easy.

For the record I own both a 9300 movement Speedmaster and numerous Panerai watches. Both are great choices, but very different in style, technology, size and frankly most other aspects. It would be hard to pick between the two as they are so very different.

The Speedmaster will be more versatile for sure. The Panerai more sophisticated but still a very durable and comfortable every-day watch. You can’t go wrong with either one.

If you want individuality, go with the Panerai. If you want history and, frankly, technology go with the Speedmaster.

Good luck.
    Ozy and CMTFR like this.
    "Two Things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by westlake View Post

If you want individuality, go with the Panerai. If you want history and, frankly, technology go with the Speedmaster.
    This one's ridiculously easy for me, I've never really been a Panerai fan & I love my 9300! Also, not sure how the Panerai implies individuality?
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Quote Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
    Also, not sure how the Panerai implies individuality?
    Ask the average person if they've heard of Omega. Then ask them if they've heard of Panerai. I think that's the point that was being made.

No brainer for me-Speedmaster
    VahnFanelle likes this.
    Regards Cam

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information