Hello all :)
My fiancee is looking at buying my first "nice" watch for an engagement gift and I've narrowed it down to two pretty different watches: a Panerai PAM 312 and an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (black leather strap) with the 9300 movement.
I got to try on both of these watches over the weekend and unfortunately, it didn't help to narrow my decision to a clear winner. Here were my thoughts:
- Absolutely LOVE the simplistic look
- I've found that it's one of those love/hate things, but I really do love the look of the crown-guard on this watch
- I'm not very tall (a stocky 5'6'') so I'm a little afraid that this watch might look a bit big on me. It's definitely a lot thicker than I thought it was going to be
- The crown-guard I love so much is a little uncomfortable when I tilt my hand all the way up as it pinches down
- I'm not a fan of the traditional buckle on the strap. Granted it's easy enough to change out the strap, this is my first "nice" watch so I have no idea where to find a good quality strap/deployant buckle or how much these will cost.
- While I do think this watch has a great, timeless design, I can't help but feel it looks a little dated next to the Panerai
- Having a deployant buckle on a leather band is pretty high on my list of wants (right after having an automatic movement) and this watch would already have it
- I'm really digging the features of the 9300 movement
- During the few minutes I wore both watches, the Omega was hands-down more comfortable on my wrist
Since this will be an engagement gift, I am looking to get something I could wear daily or dressy. Please let me know what you think :)