Panerai made in....

Thread: Panerai made in....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Panerai made in....

Hi

just read a comment on another thread that intimated Panerai was linked at some stage in manufacture with China? I also read a great magazine article this week on a visit around Panerai which made much of the watchmakers at their bench assembling.

No flaming here, honest - but does Panerai have parts made/sourced from China?

si

ps: I love Panerai and was 1 day away from owning one when I saw a DSSD for sale and got that instead
    Last edited by Simon; March 26th, 2009 at 00:42. Reason: misspelt
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: Panerai made in....

Huh?

All Panerai watches say "Swiss Made" on them. The company that finishes/decorates the ETA movements is a company called SOPROD that is *definitely* Swiss.

I'm not sure where the in-house Panerai movements are produced, but I know that Richemont bought Minerva, so I would suspect that they might be using some of Minerva's manufacturing facilities to produce the in-house movements?

Honestly, I have no idea why someone would think they were made in China. Link to the thread you're talking about?
    - Trent (base dial aficionado)

Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by handwound View Post
    Huh?

All Panerai watches say "Swiss Made" on them. The company that finishes/decorates the ETA movements is a company called SOPROD that is *definitely* Swiss.

I'm not sure where the in-house Panerai movements are produced, but I know that Richemont bought Minerva, so I would suspect that they might be using some of Minerva's manufacturing facilities to produce the in-house movements?

Honestly, I have no idea why someone would think they were made in China. Link to the thread you're talking about?

Rolex Forum - Panerai vs Rolex thread - a comment I may totally have misunderstood/misread - probably just someone taking a shot at the fakes?!

moderator - do delete my thread/question as I have the answer and my question may prove unhelpful :)

s
    Last edited by Simon; March 26th, 2009 at 00:36.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ah, I see the post that caught your attention now.

I put absolute zero stock in the claim that they are Chinese made cases...

I wait to be proven wrong.

Nowdays many manufacturers source components from all over the world - this includes getting parts from China. I have no idea what Panerai's production process is, but in general "Swiss Made" doesn't mean what it used to. Consistent quality is more important than origin of manufacture or assembly now.

By the letter of the law, a watch can be marked "Swiss Made" on the dial if it conforms to the following standard:

Swiss watch

A watch is considered Swiss, according to the Swiss law if:

• its movement is Swiss and,
    • its movement is cased up in Switzerland and;
    • the manufacturer carries out the final inspection in Switzerland

There is also a rule that a movement is only "Swiss" if 51% of its cost derives from some Switzerland related expense. This means even movements can have a variety of foreign parts but if the labor *or* some Swiss derived component makes up over 50% of the cost, then it is "Swiss."

More details here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_m...Defined_by_Law
    Lots of dive watches.

At first when i read the OP post, i thought he was takling about the Homages, which are mostly made in China.

Now i understand he is talking about Panerai allegedly outsourcing their cases from China.

hmm.....doesnt Fricker do that? Or was it the other german Case manufacture? i forget.

Im very intregued on where exactly the blanks and finished cases are from on Panerai's. Im hoopeing its Swiss, but ive been surprsed before.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by polaco23 View Post
    At first when i read the OP post, i thought he was takling about the Homages, which are mostly made in China.

Now i understand he is talking about Panerai allegedly outsourcing their cases from China.

hmm.....doesnt Fricker do that? Or was it the other german Case manufacture? i forget.

Im very intregued on where exactly the blanks and finished cases are from on Panerai's. Im hoopeing its Swiss, but ive been surprsed before.
    I can understand about the finished cases, but Blanks?

Does Swiss actually produce raw steel?

I HIGHLY doubt Panerai knows where their blanks come from considering these cases are commodity steels and probably gets theirs from cheapest source available at the time.
    (Be it Korean, Chinese or Russian steel)
    Chronic flipper...

Yeah, I know all about the new "Swiss Made" rules, Eric. I wouldn't even care if Panerai *did* source their cases from China, provided the quality/fit/finish was at the level it is currently. However, enough people DO care that it would be suicide for a luxury marque to do so, IMO.

Now, as to where the raw steel comes from, or even the case blanks, I have no idea (nor does it matter to me).

On sheer public perception alone, I find it very, very hard to believe that Panerai (or any of the Richemont brands) would source anything outside of raw materials from the PRC.

Quote Originally Posted by handwound View Post
    On sheer public perception alone, I find it very, very hard to believe that Panerai (or any of the Richemont brands) would source anything outside of raw materials from the PRC.
    yeah i think that also.

Still curious if that is the case...(pun intended! )

yeah i dont think blacks are a big deal, 316L steel is 316L steel...regardless of origin..

Whilst I love my 'Swiss Watches' - the more I reflect on this, the more I guess I personally dont care, and I dont think it a real issue, where the steel blanks, or cases, or crystals or dials are sourced; and even where the end product is assembled. Its the watch, not the where, that matters.

s

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information