Papers and Box vs No papers and box??? Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Papers and Box vs No papers and box??? Help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Papers and Box vs No papers and box??? Help

I have recently found a watch online through a jeweler (Tarrytown Jewelers, out of NY) that said it had a box and papers. It is more expensive than any watch I own (about 4k) and that help assure me it would be easier to re-sell sometime should i chose to. When I called, they said they sold that watch, but had exact same without box or papers. I was already trying to offer them 90% their asking price on the one I thought had a box and papers. They said they would take it for the one they have left (without box and papers). My question is this, do the papers and box matter that much to resell? Should I buy the watch anyway but offer less? And has anyone Bought from Tarrytown jewelers before?

Banned

Re: Papers and Box vs No papers and box??? Help

It depends on the watch and the buyer. Rolex collectors are much more particular so the box & papers are very important (to the tune of several hundred dollars). In general, the higher end the watch the more important the box & papers are. The other side of the coin is that you can only wear the watch, not the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wlx17 View Post
    I have recently found a watch online through a jeweler (Tarrytown Jewelers, out of NY) that said it had a box and papers. It is more expensive than any watch I own (about 4k) and that help assure me it would be easier to re-sell sometime should i chose to. When I called, they said they sold that watch, but had exact same without box or papers. I was already trying to offer them 90% their asking price on the one I thought had a box and papers. They said they would take it for the one they have left (without box and papers). My question is this, do the papers and box matter that much to resell? Should I buy the watch anyway but offer less? And has anyone Bought from Tarrytown jewelers before?
    Had you considered the possibility that they never had a watch with a box and warranty?

Is the watch they are offering new or used?
    If it's new then it's at least grey market with no warranty. Is that acceptable to you?
    If it's used then you need to satisfy yourself about condition before buying.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a lot of money to put down on something sight unseen. Just saying.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

I don't know. Check what the going price is for that watch on the bay and the forums.

IF it is a watch with many replicas, then perhaps you should be on the cautious side?

Like someone mentioned, maybe they never had one with box and papers.

Did you see the watch? (Via high res pics at least?)

Do they have a good reputation? (how did you come across them in the first place?)
    Chronic flipper...

the place is called tarrytown jewelers, from what I gether they have a brick and morter store and have been around over 20 years. The watch is a UN maxi marine diver, cheapest I have ever seen new was 4999. They said they would take 3600, I could probably bargain them down another couple hundo. I love the watch, but am very apprehensive about buying without papers.

Ulysse Nardin - Maxi Marine Diver 263333/92 - Pre-owned Watches - Tarrytown Jewelers

Thanks for any advice...

..and find it VERY strange they have such a rare watch with the exact same combo color and band with and without papers. Do some people sell a fake with box and papers and a real watch with nothing? It could have also been an error on their part saying they had it on the website, Its not in the description but has a separate tab they may have left checked accidentally?
    Just re-checked and notice they put back up for sale with no box and papers reference. Perhaps and error?
    Last edited by wlx17; January 28th, 2011 at 01:53.

Quote Originally Posted by wlx17 View Post
    the place is called tarrytown jewelers, from what I gether they have a brick and morter store and have been around over 20 years. The watch is a UN maxi marine diver, cheapest I have ever seen new was 4999. They said they would take 3600, I could probably bargain them down another couple hundo. I love the watch, but am very apprehensive about buying without papers.

Ulysse Nardin - Maxi Marine Diver 263333/92 - Pre-owned Watches - Tarrytown Jewelers
    Thanks for any advice...
    In other words you are buying a $4,000 used watch that you know nothing about from a dealer that you know nothing about. How do you know it is not one of the very common knockoffs of that brand. To avoid grief over getting something you don't like I would strongly suggest you do more than ask for their lowest price. In my world $4,000 is a lot of money.

Danger Will Robinson! Sounds too fishy for me.

jilgiljongiljing likes this.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

For that sort of coin I'd be requiring a box and papers. After seeing the quality of some knockoffs in Asia it's reiterated this even more so.
    Current:
    Anonimo Millemetri Japan LE Bronze | Anonimo Polluce | G-Shock DW-5600MS-1 | JLC Reverso Grande Ultra Thin | Linde Werdelin Oktopus Moon Gold | Linde Werdelin Tattoo | ochs und junior Moonphase | Rolex Day-Date 1803 | Sarpaneva K0 Seasons | Sinn 104 | Swiss Military Chrono 20012ST | Vintage Fortis Dress Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information